You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

On 1/6/2019 at 12:07 PM, Paul said:

How ridiculously good is the girl’s performance? She’s incredibly convincing and very naturalistic. 

She is indeed great. This director seems to know how to work with actors because in both of her films I syw the performances were outstanding.

• Like 1

It’d been on my radar to re-watch for a while and the ridiculous comments on it the other day prompted my to watch The Departed again today.

9/10 - I’m right, others are wrong, its fucking brilliant. 

It’s so good it’s practically the only films that Walburg & Winston have done where they are not absolute shite.

I do take the point that Scorsese shouldn’t have won his Oscar for it. It neither his best or most stylish film. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SasaS said:

She is indeed great. This director seems to know how to work with actors because in both of her films I syw the performances were outstanding.

Winter's Bone is one of my favourite films of the last decade. It was all the more impressive that it was the Director's debut. Wonderfully created atmosphere with the undercurrent of menace and outstanding performances.

1 hour ago, SammyAftershave said:

Winter's Bone is one of my favourite films of the last decade. It was all the more impressive that it was the Director's debut. Wonderfully created atmosphere with the undercurrent of menace and outstanding performances.

I thought it was one of the worst I've seen. Was expecting a good film but totally underwhelmed by it and bored senseless.

• Upvote 1

Bumblebee - Unbelievably it's a Transformers movie that's actually good and fun. If you liked the original cartoon then you'll love the look of the G1 Transformers, the little nods to that era of Transformers and a great musical cameo. If you hated all of the other live-action Transformers then you'll like this as it fuses a stripped down Transformers story (only three of them in it for 95% of the running time) and a coming-of-age buddy comedy to great effect. Funny, with a lot of heart, and action sequences that you can actually make sense of. 8 out of 10.

Darkest Hour - Biopic of Churchill in the months before Dunkirk. Gary Oldman looks the part, though he doesn't quite sound it, but I found the film quite lightweight and the bit on the Underground was laughably bad. Not quite sure why Lily Collins' role was either as it brought neither insight nor emotion. I wanted a lot more from a film with this subject matter. 5.5 out of 10.

The Good Dinosaur - AKA the bad Pixar movie. It's still a cut above most standard animated films and I found it better than the awful Cars series but this was a pretty basic effort in terms of themes and story. In fact it reminded me of the first Ice Age film in terms of the bare bones of the story. The background animation on the scenery was amazing but if you're noticing that then it's pretty obvious that the film isn't doing it's job. 5 out of 10.

• Upvote 1

The Missouri Breaks, a 1976 Western starring Brando, Jack Nicholson & Harry Dean Stanton.

I think this got pelters at the time but I thought it was brilliant, Brando in particular as mad as a carrier bag of ducks & loving every minute of it. 8/10

f9eb250cebb648cc5eac3ef3104f61c8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great quirky western, brilliant cast. Jack's gang of bandit's are ace characters and Brando's 'Regulator' as an eccentric unconventional nutter with an Irish accent on par with Dick Van Dyke's cockney chimney sweep. That first scene when Brando appears at the funeral and rubs the ice from the coffin on his gums still makes me smile when I think about it. Arthur Penn was a truly immense Director. Sadly, the remaining prints I've seen of this film are tired and shitty.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SammyAftershave said:

Great quirky western, brilliant cast. Jack's gang of bandit's are ace charachters and Brando's 'Regulator' as an eccentric unconventional nutter with an Irish accent on par with Dick Van Dyke's cockney chimney sweep. That first scene when Brando appears at the funeral and rubs the ice from the coffin on his gums still makes me smile when I think about it. Arthur Penn was a truly immense Director. Sadly, the remaining prints I've seen of this film are tired and shitty.

I've not seen it before but some scenes did look pretty worn (recorded it off ITV4 HD).

Great score by John Williams as well.

Sorry to Bother You

Written and directed by Boots Riley from The Coup (who also do all the music). Set in the near future, the tale of Cassius Green who discovers he is a genius telemarketer when given the secret by Danny Glover.

His major client is Worry Free who sell people on signing over their lives to become indentured slaves.

A very amusing social satire, also pretty tricky to describe because it gets a bit fucked up (in a good way). Sort of like if Spike Lee has made Robocop while on acid.  If you think that sounds terrible then you would probably hate it.

I’m giving it 8.9/10.