You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Black mirror bandersnatch.

Hard to rate this one.   I thought the episode itself was pretty shit.  Had some interesting elements like mind control and conspiracies which could have been done much more realistically.  

If you go back to episode two of black mirror it was an in your face over the top but exactly spot on picture of modern day life.   This was just impossible bullshit story.

Onto the concept of interactive tv.   The cynic in me thinks it’s nithing more than an attempt to make Netflix worthwhile, after all there is zero point in paying for it these days.    But boy did it keep me gripped for the hour and a half which not many shows manage to do anymore.    I look forward to more of these.

3 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Black mirror bandersnatch.

Hard to rate this one.   I thought the episode itself was pretty shit.  Had some interesting elements like mind control and conspiracies which could have been done much more realistically.  

If you go back to episode two of black mirror it was an in your face over the top but exactly spot on picture of modern day life.   This was just impossible bullshit story.

Onto the concept of interactive tv.   The cynic in me thinks it’s nithing more than an attempt to make Netflix worthwhile, after all there is zero point in paying for it these days.    But boy did it keep me gripped for the hour and a half which not many shows manage to do anymore.    I look forward to more of these.

I thought it was shite. After 1 hr 30m I felt pissed off having wasted most of my evening.

• Upvote 1

Missus insists we go and watch the award-y films:

The Favourite.

Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz lezzing-off (separately) with Olivia Coleman and directed by the guy who did 'The Lobster'. Everyone's gone out on a limb with this, so it's got 'oscar-worthy' running through the whole film. It's a really good story. But the central three are outstanding.

8.2/10

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cochyn said:

Missus insists we go and watch the award-y films:

The Favourite.

Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz lezzing-off (separately) with Olivia Coleman

Are there any scenes of Emma Stone lezzing off with Rachel Weisz?

5 hours ago, Chip Butty said:

True Lies (7.5/10)  was on the telly last night. Still a fun film and as for JLC christ, what a body.

Just to jog your memory......

giphy.gif

She's fabulous.

Here's the full scene...

and also remember her in Trading Places?

The Breadwinner - 8/10

Going to indulge my film and animation geek for a second.

With Studio Ghibli kind of closing it's doors there's a vacuum in animation for filmmakers that can effectively marry familial and coming of age crises with history, location and folklore to bring depth and sensitivity to their stories.  Makoto Shinkai has come very close, especially with Your Name a few years ago, but really Ireland's Cartoon Saloon are the ones to keep your eye on, despite the goofy name.  Last Christmas I caught the brilliant Song of the Sea (with Brendan Gleeson - generally a mark of quality) on the off-chance and so wanted to get my hands on their latest production this year round and it hasn't disappointed.  Another wonderful film, not quite along the same quasi-mythical lines and doesn't quite reach the same heights as Song of the Sea.  It tells the story of a young girl in 2001 Afghanistan forced to pose as a boy to fend for her family in defiance of the Taliban.  Shades of Mulan, the Book Thief (great story, bit of a drab film) and obviously Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis (again, a better graphic novel than movie).  Well told, heart-warming tale where the family bonds transcend the political commentary that makes up the setting.  Need to get a hold of Secret of the Kells at some point.

Also watched Isle of Dogs, which is good.  Second attempt from Wes Anderson in this rough stop-motion style and it's come off much better than Fantastic Mr Fox did (turns out proper sound design makes a big difference...).  Some brave (pretentious) decisions in how to tell the story but generally it serves to cut away the excess and leave a lean and accessible central arc.  Although a lot of that information comes back into the frame in the final act so might leave some a bit bemused when all's said and done.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Chip Butty said:

True Lies (7.5/10)  was on the telly last night. Still a fun film and as for JLC christ, what a body.

Just to jog your memory......

giphy.gif

16 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

She's fabulous.

Here's the full scene...

and also remember her in Trading Places?

Reveal hidden contents

Imagine being Arnold in that scene and having to be all like "damn, Jamie Curtis, you fuckin' fine, all sexy with your tight body and horrific androgynous monster face. I would totally have sex with you, both my character and the real me." when all he really wants to do is fuck another 16 year old in his dressing room. Like seriously imagine having to be Arnold and not only sit in that chair while Jamie Lee Curtis flaunts her disgusting body in front of you, the favorable lighting barely concealing her stretchmarks and leathery skin, and just sit there, take after take, hour after hour, while she perfected that dance. Not only having to tolerate her monstrous fucking visage but her haughty attitude as everyone on set tells her she's STILL GOT IT and DAMN, JAMIE LEE CURTIS LOOKS LIKE *THAT*?? because they're not the ones who have to sit there and watch her mannish fucking gremlin face contort into types of grimaces you didn't even know existed before that day. You've been fucking nothing but a healthy diet of blondes and supermodels and later alleged rape victims for your ENTIRE CAREER coming straight out of the boonies in Austria. You've never even seen anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you swear you can taste the sweat that's breaking out on her dimpled stomach as she sucks it in to writhe it suggestively at you, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to get paid to sit there and revel in her "statuesque (for that is what she calls herself)" beauty, the beauty she worked so hard for with personal trainers in the previous months. And then the director calls for another take, and you know you could kill every single person in this room before the studio security could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're fucking Arnold. You're not going to lose your future political career over this. Just bear it. Hide your face and bear it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Imagine being Arnold in that scene and having to be all like "damn, Jamie Curtis, you fuckin' fine, all sexy with your tight body and horrific androgynous monster face. I would totally have sex with you, both my character and the real me." when all he really wants to do is fuck another 16 year old in his dressing room. Like seriously imagine having to be Arnold and not only sit in that chair while Jamie Lee Curtis flaunts her disgusting body in front of you, the favorable lighting barely concealing her stretchmarks and leathery skin, and just sit there, take after take, hour after hour, while she perfected that dance. Not only having to tolerate her monstrous fucking visage but her haughty attitude as everyone on set tells her she's STILL GOT IT and DAMN, JAMIE LEE CURTIS LOOKS LIKE *THAT*?? because they're not the ones who have to sit there and watch her mannish fucking gremlin face contort into types of grimaces you didn't even know existed before that day. You've been fucking nothing but a healthy diet of blondes and supermodels and later alleged rape victims for your ENTIRE CAREER coming straight out of the boonies in Austria. You've never even seen anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you swear you can taste the sweat that's breaking out on her dimpled stomach as she sucks it in to writhe it suggestively at you, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to get paid to sit there and revel in her "statuesque (for that is what she calls herself)" beauty, the beauty she worked so hard for with personal trainers in the previous months. And then the director calls for another take, and you know you could kill every single person in this room before the studio security could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're fucking Arnold. You're not going to lose your future political career over this. Just bear it. Hide your face and bear it.

First day back at work mate? 

58 minutes ago, Aventus said:

More like 'I hope they give me a few minutes between filming scenes to let this enormous boner die down. Now let me think of something that will keep my mind off that red hot body. Granny's false teeth'