You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

On 12/9/2018 at 7:18 PM, Bjornebye said:

The Christmas Chronicles. Its on Netflix. Watch it! Absolutely brilliant and up there already with Home Alone as my favourite Xmas movie. 

11 jingle bells out of 10 

I wouldn't go that far mate, but it's deffo a solid, enjoyable Christmas romp. 7 out of 10 for me, take Kurt Russell out of the equation and it wouldn't be anywhere near as good.  He completely rules in this. 

Listened to the audiobook, acted out version of "Alien : River of Pain" which is basically the events that happen between Ripley getting picked up at the start of Aliens and the marines turning up with her on LV-426. 

Expected it to be woeful, but it was brilliant. Similar to "Rogue One" (in the sense that you know its not likely to end well for any of the characters) it's an "inbetweener" but its superbly done. 

It also then prompted me to watch the special edition of Aliens again (for about the 30th time) but this time i viewed it with a fresh perspective. It's still one of the greatest action films ever made, and apart from some dodgy greenscreen effects, its held up magnificently. 

It's also up there with Commando and Pulp Fiction as the films i tend to quote from on an almost daily basis.     

10/10

2 hours ago, Total Longo said:

Listened to the audiobook, acted out version of "Alien : River of Pain" which is basically the events that happen between Ripley getting picked up at the start of Aliens and the marines turning up with her on LV-426. 

Expected it to be woeful, but it was brilliant. Similar to "Rogue One" (in the sense that you know its not likely to end well for any of the characters) it's an "inbetweener" but its superbly done. 

It also then prompted me to watch the special edition of Aliens again (for about the 30th time) but this time i viewed it with a fresh perspective. It's still one of the greatest action films ever made, and apart from some dodgy greenscreen effects, its held up magnificently. 

It's also up there with Commando and Pulp Fiction as the films i tend to quote from on an almost daily basis.     

10/10

I'm tempted to give this audiobook a try, free with a 3 month trial with audible. 4 hours and 52 minutes in length, sounds like an epic!

6 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I'm tempted to give this audiobook a try, free with a 3 month trial with audible. 4 hours and 52 minutes in length, sounds like an epic!

That's what i did, they offered me another trial so i took it. Great way to spend a commute or three.

On 12/9/2018 at 7:18 PM, Bjornebye said:

The Christmas Chronicles. Its on Netflix. Watch it! Absolutely brilliant and up there already with Home Alone as my favourite Xmas movie. 

11 jingle bells out of 10 

Really? I thought it was dire. I do love a good Christmas film but this did nothing to get me in the mood. Kurt was very good but the kids were just so annoying and the acting was terrible. Now, we don't have small kids and this film is most certainly aimed at the 5 -12 year old market. 

Sorry to be a pissy pants about it. 

Finding Dory - Was never a huge fan of Finding Nemo and even Pixar's most average film is still a quality film. Liked Ed O'Neill's sneaky octopus and the two sea lions on the rock. There were some good gags and it was engaging but it's no Coco. 8 out of 10.

The Christmas Chronicles - Kurt Russell has a hell of a time playing Santa Claus in this otherwise quite formulaic Christmas film. Very unremarkable but I did enjoy it and Kurt is really fun. Good family fun. 6 out of 10.

A Monster Calls - I knew only that this film would be sad but I didn't realise it would be a child getting grips to with the reality of loss and grief through a big tree monster. Really heartfelt film with a great central performance although the missus did seem to think Liam Neeson was channelling his inner Optimus Prime as the monster. 8.5 out of 10.

The Shape of Water - Modern fairytale with added masturbation and fishman sex! Thought it wouldn't be able to match it's own Oscar hype but it managed it. Richard Jenkins almost stole the show as Eliza's neighbour and Michael Shannon was truly menacing as the antagonist, which makes me wonder how on earth Zac Snyder managed to waste him as General Zod. Guillermo Del Toro now has two masterful modern fairytales under his belt, no mean feat. 9 out of 10.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Roma.

Strong drama about a live-in nanny with a fractured family in Mexico City during political upheaval of the early 1970s.

Had a limited cinema release but it's backed by Netflix so already on there.

8.5/10

I've been meaning to watch this so will give it a whirly. 

The Big Short 8/10

A few traders and fund managers got onto the inevitability that the whole fucking system of lending against subprime mortgages was going to go tits up and start betting against the system's stability in an attempt fortunes out of other peoples misery.

Thought Steve Carell played a good part and it's even got a short part of Margot Robbie in a bubble bath. 

13 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

The Big Short 8/10

A few traders and fund managers got onto the inevitability that the whole fucking system of lending against subprime mortgages was going to go tits up and start betting against the system's stability in an attempt fortunes out of other peoples misery.

Thought Steve Carell played a good part and it's even got a short part of Margot Robbie in a bubble bath. 

Brilliant film that. I'd never heard of it till I was just browsing through Netflix. Couldn't believe how good it was. Steve Carell and Christian Bale play their parts brilliantly. Actually so does Brad Pitt. 

Boyz N The Hood

Watched this loads of times as a kid but hadn't seen it in ages. Still a fucking great movie. No surprises that Cuba Gooding Jr went on to win an oscar later on in his career. Really captures the violence of south-central LA in the early 90's without having shit loads of fighting and dead bodies (See Menace to Society). 

9/10. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Boyz N The Hood

Watched this loads of times as a kid but hadn't seen it in ages. Still a fucking great movie. No surprises that Cuba Gooding Jr went on to win an oscar later on in his career. Really captures the violence of south-central LA in the early 90's without having shit loads of fighting and dead bodies (See Menace to Society). 

9/10. 

Cracker that. 

Have you seen Training day? Not a great comparison but captures the 'Hood' very well.

8 minutes ago, Elite said:

Cracker that. 

Have you seen Training day? Not a great comparison but captures the 'Hood' very well.

Yeah that's a good film as well. 

Have you seen Clockers? Set in New York as opposed to LA. 

Another good one is Higher Learning. Set on a Uni campus and has Ice Cube and Busta Rhymes in it. 

• Upvote 1

Hotel Artemis. Shit don't bother. Plus Jodie foster who I have always had a thing for since Bugsy Malone looks about 90.

3.9/10

Papillion. My heart sank when Jax Teller turned up as lead taking over from Steve McQueen and Mr Robot as Dustin Hoffman. Mr Robot was good and is becoming a decent actor esp after Bohemian Rhapsody triumph. Jax wasn't too bad but he is the same in every part. Mmmm 5.8/10

Mile 22 managed 20 mins and turned it off.

Love Actually. Not a review as such but my Mrs has this shit on the other night as she loves it. My eldest said she loves it too. That compounds to me how far I am from solving the female brain. It is fucking awful.

26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah that's a good film as well. 

Have you seen Clockers? Set in New York as opposed to LA. 

Another good one is Higher Learning. Set on a Uni campus and has Ice Cube and Busta Rhymes in it. 

No, don't recall either of those. Will watch them if I can get a good stream or they come on Netflix.

8 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

Love Actually. Not a review as such but my Mrs has this shit on the other night as she loves it. My eldest said she loves it too. That compounds to me how far I am from solving the female brain. It is fucking awful.

I was watching Netflix the other night & when I turned it off, Love Actually was on the telly but it was right at that scene where Elisha Cuthbert comes into the bar so I watched it for the five minutes she's in it then turned it off because it's worse that AIDS. One of life's little victories.

Related image

28 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

Hotel Artemis. Shit don't bother. Plus Jodie foster who I have always had a thing for since Bugsy Malone looks about 90.

3.9/10

Papillion. My heart sank when Jax Teller turned up as lead taking over from Steve McQueen and Mr Robot as Dustin Hoffman. Mr Robot was good and is becoming a decent actor esp after Bohemian Rhapsody triumph. Jax wasn't too bad but he is the same in every part. Mmmm 5.8/10

Mile 22 managed 20 mins and turned it off.

Agreed on Mile 22. That movie is as dumb as shit. I did amazingly sit through it but that's because I was tired and the remote was on the TV cabinet.

Spiderman: Into The Spider-Verse. Really excellent Marvel animation movie, great story, spectacular colours and animation, good voice acting and great reintroduction of an existing character. 

9 spiders hanging on 10 webs.