You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

6 hours ago, skend04 said:

It can't just be me but Passengers has a proper rapey premise which is at odds with the ending. Unless the ending is condoning Stockholm Syndrome as a choice.

It was not just you, it was the entire reviewing PC brigade. The same people that had a problem with 3 Billboards because he was first racist and then allowed to redeem himself. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

It was not just you, it was the entire reviewing PC brigade. The same people that had a problem with 3 Billboards because he was first racist and then allowed to redeem himself. 

Next you'll be telling everyone that despite his ongoing racism Nigel Farage earned his redemption when the pilot failed to kill him in a moment of Hari Kari.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Next you'll be telling everyone that despite his ongoing racism Nigel Farage earned his redemption when the pilot failed to kill him in a moment of Hari Kari.

Nigel Farage is a real person though, those people from the future, floating through space were characters in a story that someone wrote.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mook said:

I watched Passengers last night & have to say other than Jennifer Lawrence, I thought it was shite. I was really hoping for a sinister plot twist which never came & the ending was pathetic.

Brian Clough the robot was a right cunt in it as well.

It was slightly better than ok. Only just though. Was expecting more. I enjoyed it but won't be watching it again. 7/10. 

And yes, Sheen was a right grassing cunt. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

Farage was not in 3 Billboards.

No, I get the feminist reading of Passengers, but for me it was more about loneliness, dilemmas would you be so selfish to destroy someone's life to make your own bearable etc., I think most of us would, and most of us do.

It's structured as a romantic drama, so it must have the resolution through redemption element, but I didn't feel the man - woman dynamic was overly important, in the sense that I'd feel the same about the movie if it was the other way around, maybe it would be a tad more difficult to identify with the characters, although the film would probably get much better reviews for essentially the same thing, because there would not be the man controlling woman's destiny angle.

It managed to make me care about the characters and it really flew by.

4 minutes ago, SasaS said:

No, I get the feminist reading of Passengers, but for me it was more about loneliness, dilemmas would you be so selfish to destroy someone's life to make your own bearable etc., I think most of us would, and most of us do.

It's structured as a romantic drama, so it must have the resolution through redemption element, but I didn't feel the man - woman dynamic was overly important, in the sense that I'd feel the same about the movie if it was the other way around, maybe it would be a tad more difficult to identify with the characters, although the film would probably get much better reviews for essentially the same thing, because there would not be the man controlling woman's destiny angle.

I'd have woken Jennifer Lawrence up and all! Only so many times you can lob one out over her capsule knowing full well you can have the real thing if you just effectively ruin her life and wake her up. 

13 hours ago, SasaS said:

If they'd gone down the route of a horror/thriller it'd have been much better for it. For me, saying in the end it's okay to have stalked a person because they'll eventually come round to your way of thinking is rapey. But I guess with Pratt in the lead role they couldn't have gone down that path.

• Downvote 1

Just now, skend04 said:

If they'd gone down the route of a horror/thriller it'd have been much better for it. For me, saying in the end it's okay to have stalked a person because they'll eventually come round to your way of thinking is rapey. But I guess with Pratt in the lead role they couldn't have gone down that path.

They're not 'saying it's okay', it's a made up story about two fictional characters which happened to have a happy ending.

It's a slippery slope when you start to manipulate art in the way you're suggesting.

3 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Maybe, but it was kind of a unique situation, don't you agree?

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Coen Brothers Netflix thing. Six western vignettes with different characters and varying degrees of whimsy and violence. In terms of tone it’s probably what you’d get from a mix of O Brother where art thou, A Serious Man and True Grit.

I enjoyed it a lot.

7.7/10

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Coen Brothers Netflix thing. Six western vignettes with different characters and varying degrees of whimsy and violence. In terms of tone it’s probably what you’d get from a mix of O Brother where art thou, A Serious Man and True Grit.

I enjoyed it a lot.

7.7/10

I got bored of that and I'm a big Coen brothers fan.

5 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I enjoyed it a lot.

7.7/10

I previewed this a couple of weeks back and I enjoyed it too. The Gold Prospector story was apparently based on a Jack London story too.

7 hours ago, Mook said:

They're not 'saying it's okay', it's a made up story about two fictional characters which happened to have a happy ending.

It's a slippery slope when you start to manipulate art in the way you're suggesting.

I thought it was a pleasant surprise that it didn't have a sinister twist. I was expecting one, like sheen had become self aware or it was an experiment by the company or something but I've seen stuff like that on black mirror and what not, but this was just a simple story about being lonely. 

7 hours ago, Mook said:

Are you trying to say that what happens in films isn't really happening and is just mostly made up? My world might just be about to cave in.

Fred is worth a watch on Netflix, documentary about Freddie Foreman which is mostly present day interviews from the man himself. He comes across as a decent old bloke but make no mistake he was one cold, ruthless fucker back in the day.

57 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Not really sure how Elite could get bored as each tale only last about 20 minutes.

That's probably why. I like movies to develop the story and characters. Not a fan of short stories. The one with the Amputee was very boring.

I just started watching Rosemary's Baby, written and directed by Roman Polanski. Jeez, how has he managed to keep making films for 40+ years! Statutory rape charges against a 13 year old in 1977 and fled to Paris where he continued to make movies. Now he has been removed from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences due to that case and other allegations. He has another film scheduled for release next year!

2 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

My top 5 Coen brothers:

1. Fargo

2. O Brother, Where Art Thou?

3. Barton Fink

4. Blood Simple

5. Raising Arizona

Other than The Big Lebowski which i loved, I just can’t get into anything else they’ve made. 

Stir Of Echoes came out around the same time as The Sixth Sense and was over-ridden by that film. Watched it tonight, good horror film with a few decent scares - 7.5/10.

Passengers. 7/10.  Wanted to watch thes for ages, it was in production limbo for nearly 10 years. Keanu Reeves was desperate to get this made but by the time it got green lit his ship had sailed and in came Pratt and Lawrence. Watched about half hour of this on Kodi when first came out but then it crashed. Seeing it mentioned on here and that it was on Netflix so picked it back up. Solid.

Ant-man and the wasp. 7/10. Marvel lite. Decent enough, loved the bit after the credits, my nine year old looked at me with a knowing look of excitement which gave some explanation to the new Avengers trailer.

Sixth Sense. 5/10. First time I have seen this since the cinema 20 years ago. It's great to say in hindsight but it's obvious what the twist is if you're watching carefully. First time around I was really stoned and on a first date so there's my excuse.