You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Miss Sloane  6/10.

The interesting thing about this lethal dose of Jessica Chastain's overacting  for me was that it may have been the first film I've ever seen where I rooted against the main character from start to finish. If that was the intention, the film represents a significant contribution to cinematic art.

Other than that, it was rightly labelled a poor man's Sorkin, by utilising mainly his worst traits and mannerisms, first and foremost, about an hour into it, it still fails to answer the question what is it about and why should the viewer care. It starts as a political drama but then veers toward a thriller in the last third /act.

Positives are that it looks really good for a film budgeted at $13 mil (of mainly euro / French money), so kudos to the part of the team in charge of production values. It is more or less competently directed, which is no surprise from John Madden. Unfortunately for the producers, it failed to recoup even that unimpressive budget figure, which comes as no surprise - see second paragraph.

The Resistance Banker - Nice Schindler Style movie about some dutch bankers  during WWII  6/10

Hurricane - another decent WWII effort about the first Polish Hurricane squadron during the Battle of Britain..of course now the Tories want the fuckers dumped into the sea the stupid brexiter fucks 6/10

Venom - 7/10

It's nowhere near as bad as some of the early reviews suggest but it's pacing is very poor, it spends a lot of time developing Hardy's character and not much time on the actual story, so it fizzled out very quickly. Hardy saidthat they cut the best 30 mins out of the movie and it shows, it's not very long as that extra time could have made a big difference. I still enjoyed it and it's there's plenty of room for sequels.

Venom 7/10

This film I’ve been waiting to see since 1991 after discovering Venom in The Amazing Spider-Man comic and after the horror show of Venom in Spider-Man 3 I was desperate for it to be decent. 

Its good, it has its flaws (takes a while to build up and get going) but when it does get going it’s a lot of fun. 

The interplay with Eddie Brock and Venom is brilliant, more comedic in places than I expected but the whole Dr Jeckell and Mr Hyde setup is well done.

Tom Hardy was the perfect casting. His Eddie Brock (and Venom) is less brooding/moody than the comic book version but again its done well.

Despire being a low budget blockbuster (only around 70million) the CGI is actually pretty good. Couldn’t pick out many flaws. 

I really enjoyed it despite some shortcomings and I’d love to see a sequel or two, let’s hope it does well so we see more as there’s potential in this now. 

Not sure I like Sony’s direction for their planned Spider-Man villain universe so that could be another issue. 

I enjoyed it and now the story has been established I’d love to see more as it has potential. 

My Week for War based movies :

Operation Finale - The Adolf Eichmann story . Mossad capturing Eichmann in Argentina and smuggling him back to Israel. Oscar Isaac and Ben Kinglsey both give fantastic performances, real proper no bullshit acting.

9/10

6 hours ago, Juniper said:

Venom 7/10

This film I’ve been waiting to see since 1991 after discovering Venom in The Amazing Spider-Man comic and after the horror show of Venom in Spider-Man 3 I was desperate for it to be decent. 

Its good, it has its flaws (takes a while to build up and get going) but when it does get going it’s a lot of fun. 

The interplay with Eddie Brock and Venom is brilliant, more comedic in places than I expected but the whole Dr Jeckell and Mr Hyde setup is well done.

Tom Hardy was the perfect casting. His Eddie Brock (and Venom) is less brooding/moody than the comic book version but again its done well.

Despire being a low budget blockbuster (only around 70million) the CGI is actually pretty good. Couldn’t pick out many flaws. 

I really enjoyed it despite some shortcomings and I’d love to see a sequel or two, let’s hope it does well so we see more as there’s potential in this now. 

Not sure I like Sony’s direction for their planned Spider-Man villain universe so that could be another issue. 

I enjoyed it and now the story has been established I’d love to see more as it has potential. 

11 hours ago, Elite said:

Venom - 7/10

It's nowhere near as bad as some of the early reviews suggest but it's pacing is very poor, it spends a lot of time developing Hardy's character and not much time on the actual story, so it fizzled out very quickly. Hardy saidthat they cut the best 30 mins out of the movie and it shows, it's not very long as that extra time could have made a big difference. I still enjoyed it and it's there's plenty of room for sequels.

This could be another 'Arrival' / 'Star Wars - The Last Jedi' movie that splits reviewers and watchers.

7 hours ago, Gav said:

Operation Finale - The Adolf Eichmann story . Mossad capturing Eichmann in Argentina and smuggling him back to Israel. Oscar Isaac and Ben Kinglsey both give fantastic performances, real proper no bullshit acting.

9/10

This is next on my Netflix list. Almost watched it yesterday but decided to save it for another day. Glad its worth a watch.

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

This could be another 'Arrival' / 'Star Wars - The Last Jedi' movie that splits reviewers and watchers.

I mean it’s not perfect, I can see some of the criticism being valid (mostly around the pacing really and the love interest) but it’s decent when it kicks in.

It’s definitely not a bad film like some of the reviews would have you think and for a CGI heavy blockbuster with such a small budget it’s a good introduction to Venom/Symbiotes.

Everyone I think expects it to fit into the Marvel mould but it does it’s own thing and I think it works fairly well.

Also, even though it’s a PG I’d probably not take small kids to see it. Can see it being slightly upsetting in places. 

56 minutes ago, Juniper said:

I mean it’s not perfect, I can see some of the criticism being valid (mostly around the pacing really and the love interest) but it’s decent when it kicks in.

It’s definitely not a bad film like some of the reviews would have you think and for a CGI heavy blockbuster with such a small budget it’s a good introduction to Venom/Symbiotes.

Everyone I think expects it to fit into the Marvel mould but it does it’s own thing and I think it works fairly well.

Also, even though it’s a PG I’d probably not take small kids to see it. Can see it being slightly upsetting in places. 

It's 15 rated.

Mile 22. 6/10. Espionage actioner in which Mark Whalberg channels an intense, higher functioning version of his Shooter personna. Leaves the door open for an obvious sequel, and it's apparently the jumping off point for a soon-to-come Web short and TV series about members of the same CIA branch. Decent, but the camera work can make the action a bit difficult to follow sometimes.

S.M.A.R.T Chase ( aka The Shanghai Job)

95 minutes of my life I'll not get back.Orlando Bloom is just really really shit at acting ,with really really shit bleached hair ,in a very poor story with wooden acting where he shows the emotional range of a dead fish . He should've been assassinated as soon as filming was finished on the Hobbit so he could have ended his career on a high

3/10 (Purely because of Lynn Hung and Hannah QuinLivan)

On 10/4/2018 at 12:44 AM, Gav said:

9/10

7/10 for me. It was a decent film,especially given the subject matter but too 'Hollywood' for me. Reminded me a lot of Argo,which I also thought was nowhere near as good as it was hailed as.

Ant Man & The Wasp. 7/10. Lightweight entry in the Marvel cannon, but with enough fun and invention to make it enjoyable.

The Predator. 2/10. What a fucking shitshow that is. It really was touch and go if I'd make it to the end. 

I've watched a couple of Oldies in the last couple of days.

They Live  -  The basic premise is interesting, but the film is poorly-scripted, poorly-acted, cringey, boring drivel.  I wouldn't mind reading the short story it was based on.

In A Lonely Place - Superb film noir with Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame.  Bogie's character is brilliantly flawed and complex; the character traits that seemed so cool in Sam Spade or Philip Marlowe - the cool detachment, cynical sarcasm and handiness with his fists - are actually quite unpleasant in a more realistic character.

14 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I've watched a couple of Oldies in the last couple of days.

They Live  -  The basic premise is interesting, but the film is poorly-scripted, poorly-acted, cringey, boring drivel.  I wouldn't mind reading the short story it was based on.

In A Lonely Place - Superb film noir with Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame.  Bogie's character is brilliantly flawed and complex; the character traits that seemed so cool in Sam Spade or Philip Marlowe - the cool detachment, cynical sarcasm and handiness with his fists - are actually quite unpleasant in a more realistic character.

Carpenter's They Live? You'll get stick for dissing it.  I always do because for the life of me cannot understand what people see in that film. Then they throw the social commentary / satire argument at me. I retort with the acting, writing, general silliness of it all and the cringe worthy ending, but no, no, no it's a masterpiece.  

• Upvote 1

Solo. 7.5/10.

Good film and a good way to spend a Saturday night.  You can see the film was setting up a few sequels in the future so maybe this is were people were saying it wasn't all that.  I felt that too the film wasn't as good as it could have been ie. story telling but I think this was just down to the future sequels that will be coming.  I also felt that a lot of the film was dedicated to character development or explaining their place in the grand scheme of things but I think going forward the Han Solo story has a lot going for it. 

This is s till a good film though and well worth a watch.

On 10/5/2018 at 7:13 PM, SammyAftershave said:

If you're a fan of the Director I'd say it's still worth a watch SasaS. While it's a bit of a departure for him and I felt it went off the rails in the third act there is still much to enjoy in it and still better than most of the turd that Hollywood churns out.

Downsizing  6/10

Weird film, I haven't read anything about it other than it was not received well, but it comes across as a result of so many rewrites that it finally loses shape. Or too few. It's fairly interesting about 3/4 of the way and then it seems they didn't  know what to do with it anymore. It does feel as if 30 to 40 minutes were cut. Or should have been.

There are many interesting aspects of the original idea that could have been explored, commercialization of the new world, doomsday obsession, how the new world instantly develops into a replica of the old big world with the same social injustices etc. 

This would potentially have been a more interesting TV series than Westworld.

• Upvote 1

A Star Is Born - I've never seen any of the previous versions of this film so knew nothing much of it going into it. It's a very tidy film with good performances by both leads - Lady Gaga in particular is really good in a low key role, especially in the film's early scenes and you wouldn't believe that she was a world famous performer. Some good songs along the way from both Gaga and Cooper and special mention to Sam Elliott being great as Sam Elliott. There are moments where the time frame seems a bit choppy but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. 8.5 out of 10 with the .5 extra point for Cooper's strong hair game.