You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

I haven't rewatching Arrival or BR:2049 since I saw either at the cinema, I loved both but do wonder if I'd enjoy them as much at home. Even with a high-end set up, which I don't have, could either live up to the cinema experience?

Speaking of films that aren't as good at the cinema, Alien: Covenant. I enjoyed it on first watch, probably a 6.5/10 but at home it can't cover over the cracks in the poor story and derivative characters. Boring and starting to take the shine off the original series for me. In trying to reveal the backstory of everything and in this whole convoluted David as Messiah story, the intrigue and horror of the unknown is being lost. Prometheus and this should be consigned to the bin. 4/10, leave it alone Ridley.

Shin Godzilla. Been waiting ages for this to be available in the UK, having missed the limited cinema release. Sure, the monster isn't as refined as the latest Hollywood version (which I thought was very good) but the reimagining of Godzilla's origin and the tension between the Japanese wanting to solve the problem themselves and the international military response is great. 8/10.

Kong: Skull Island. Only watched it because I like Godzilla films and wanted to see how they're setting up the series. Bang average. 5/10.

Arrival is all about the story, either you love it or hate it. Where you watch it is less important. I watched in the cinema and loved it and watched it on a computer screen and loved it also. I will try and get it on a 4K screen soon and I'm sure I'll love it there too.

Chinatown 8.5/10

How have I never seen this film?! 1970’s Roman Polanski directed film set in Los Angeles in the 1930’s, a private investigator played by Jack Nicholson is hired to investigate a husbands infidelity by the wife.

Then turns out to be a tale of Murder, Mobsters and Corruption. Think LA Confidential/LA Noir kinda vibe, both no doubt inspired by this film.

Nicholson is ace as you’d expect, Faye Dunaway great also.

What a classic. No idea how I missed this until now.

It’s on last chance on Amazon Video for anyone who has that and fancies a watch.

• Upvote 1

Kodachrome 8/10.

Ed Harris and Jason Sudeikis in a film about a dying father and his son taking one last trip to develop Kodak film(Ed Harris character is a photographer) and he and his son don't get on. Ed Harris is absolutely superb and Jason Sudeikis is good as his son too. Maybe a bit too sentimental for some but in a week where I've just buried my own Dad it sort of touched a nerve with me. Haven't quite reached the end yet but will do that when I stop blubbing like a baby.

• Upvote 2

Chinatown 8.5/10

How have I never seen this film?! 1970’s Roman Polanski directed film set in Los Angeles in the 1930’s, a private investigator played by Jack Nicholson is hired to investigate a husbands infidelity by the wife.

Then turns out to be a tale of Murder, Mobsters and Corruption. Think LA Confidential/LA Noir kinda vibe, both no doubt inspired by this film.

It’s on last chance on Amazon Video for anyone who has that and fancies a watch.

Leave it, Juniper.  It's Chinatown.

Watched Dr Strangelove earlier, I know it inside out by now but it hasn't got old for me yet.  No one but Stan could take a topic like nuclear apocalypse and craft such hilarity.  P.Sellers needless to say is genius in all three of his roles (originally Kubrick cast him for four roles - can't remember off the top of my head why he only did three in the end - possibly time constraints? - but I certainly wouldn't have wanted to miss out on Slim Pickens as the B52 pilot).

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here!  This is the War Room!"

No doubt almost everyone has seen it but if not, you won't be disappointed.  9/10

Three billboards, 9/10. Thought it was excellent on pretty much every level.

Yes and Frances Mc deserved all the plaudits, absolute colossus of a performance.  A leading lady in an Oscar winning American film, and no make up and boiler suit virtually throughout.  A hallmark of one little chink of light in these largely dark times.

Also the Shape of Water.  Easy to weird it off based on elements of the subject matter, but actually deals with it beautifully, enchantingly even.  8.5/10

• Upvote 1

Avengers: Infinity War. 8/10

Yeah that was pretty decent. Still not the best marvel film for me but a hell of a feat and they pulled it off very well.

Didn’t feel as long as it was and very fast paced throughout. Solid film.

Thrilling and really funny in places, great action scenes and more than enough surprises throughout. Some great interplay between the various characters at times.

Very much worth a watch.

Chinatown 8.5/10

In pretty much any screenwriting book I've read it's held up as a masterclass of writing, along with Witness.

In pretty much any screenwriting book I've read it's held up as a masterclass of writing, along with Witness.

It’s a classic film. Already want to watch it again at some point.

Still can’t believe it took me until a few days ago to watch it. Disappointed in myself.

Polanski deserves a lot of credit, he cut a lot of fat from Towne’s script and changed a fair bit of the narratives order, he also completely changed the ending, Towne reckons he changed it because of what happened to Sharon Tate.

There are some fantastic extras on the US Blu-ray, including a story about Faye Dunaway throwing a cup of piss over Roman Polanski.

Towne’s original script was 180 pages, Polanski and Towne shed around 30. Everything on screen was written by Towne, although Polanski ordered him (literally, unsurprisingly he was a massive twat on set) to rewrite the ending to fit an idea Polanski came up with.

Towne said it was his most intact screenplay, but him and Polanski worked together on the final rewrite.

Edit- Actually if I remember correctly, the ending was written by Polanski and Nicholson after Towne walked off set.

The Neighbor

Shit american spelling but a good watch. Never really taken to William Fichtner but he's great in this. A thoughtful, slow burner of a film as the bloke's life steadily falls to pieces over his obsession with his new, fit neighbour. 6.8/10 

Avengers: Infinity War - 9.5 / 10

Superb pacing from the get go and unpredictable. Incredible action, very funny, great character in Thanos who is compelling and exudes real danger and malevolence along with his Black Order minions.

Yeah really enjoyed it. Without wanting to give anything away is there going to be more in the series?

Avengers: Infinity War - The culmination of 10 years, 18 movies and a fuck-load of planning brings a brilliant, spectacular movie. It's exactly what you want which is a crossover comic in cinematic form. Starts fast and goes from there. Good set-pieces, cohesive story, excellent moments and a great cast. Thanos was really well visualised and was as good as the build-up promised.

Loved Cap's introduction, Thor calling Rocket 'Rabbit' all the time, Tthe reappearance of the Red Skull, Thor arriving in Wakanda, Star-Lord trying to sound like Thor and the post-credits sting which, although easy to guess, was fantastic when the Captain Marvel appeared on the pager. Guess now we know why Captain Marvel is set in the '90s but no one ever mentions her.

A wonderful example of how to build characters, a universe and a story to a point where you can drop them all into a film and just enjoy. 9 out of 10.

Into the wild 7.5/10  Was going to turn it off at one point as it is a little slow and it's not exactly gripping but it kept me interested just enough and i was actually moved by the ending, i didn't know the story to it.  Ended up doing a bit of googling on the lad, fair fucks to him and all that but he could have made one call at least.