You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Facing Ali.

Ali’s opponents talk about him.

Wonderful. I cannot think of another area in life were great champions speak in such humble terms about themselves when discussing an opponent.

The greatest without equal.

9/10

Mentioned this on the Ali thread myself.I would fully agree with your 9/10 as well.

Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens

The movie begins with the iconic opening crawl text telling us that The First Order has arisen from the ashes of the old Empire, rendering the ending of the original trilogy practically meaningless because what was the fucking point of destroying Death Star 2 and partying with force ghosts if the Empire, sorry the First Order, was going to rise again so effortlessly?  To counter this we're then told than General Leia (now too old to be a Princess) leads a brave Resistance (backed by the Republic), because we can't call them "Rebels" anymore - that is until Rian Johnson actually starts referring to them as "Rebels" again in Episode VIII.  But never mind, for now they're called the Resistance.  Splendid.  The opening crawl ends by telling us that Leia has sent her bestest pilot on a secret mission to a planet called Jakku, where an ally has a clue as to the whereabouts of the last surviving Jedi, Luke Skywalker.  

JJ Abrams wastes no time in disrespecting the prequels with his opening nugget of dialogue:  "this will begin to put things right", or words to that effect.  There is then a scene between the bestest pilot, Poe Dameron, and the ally with the clue to Luke's whereabouts.  They put a widget inside a cute droid, called BB-8, in a scene not at all like the opening of Episode IV where Leia gives R2D2 the plans to Death Star 1.  

Despite the secretive nature of Poe's mission, The First Order are onto him and know what he's up to, so send a squad of Stormtroopers together with the leading bad-ass, Kylo Ren.  He dresses all in black and wears a mask, so we know he's up to no good.  Leia's friend with the clue to Luke Skywalker knows all about Kylo Ren and his shady past, so Kylo cuts him down with his lightsaber and then uses the Force to hold a laser bolt still in mid-air, a move we have never seen before in the Star Wars universe and will probably never see again because they just seem to make this shit up as they go along with no respect for the prequels, original trilogy or anything else George Lucas lovingly created.

Kylo captures Poe, whose X-Wing has been prevented from taking off, and before this Poe hides the clue to Luke's whereabouts inside BB-8 and tells the droid to fuck off into the sunset.  So we have a widget inside a homeless droid on a desert planet and within five minutes of the movie starting we are already dangerously close to outright plagiarism.  Wonderful.

Oh fuck this, you get the idea. I can't be bothered with the rest of this review.

5/10

For that alone Force Awakens gets a 10/10.

It. 9/10.

Missed it at the pictures because I was ill on the day I was going. Loved it. Brilliant casting for the Losers Club, and the depiction of Derry was as I imagined it from the book. Suspenseful rather than outright scary, but clearly done with a love of the source material. Can only hope Chapter 2 is as good.

Coco - I thought this was excellent. Not what I was expecting at all. Soundtrack is brilliant too 8.5/10

Yep. Don't know what made me pick it on Terrarium (kids are grown up), just something to kill a bit of time but loved every minute of it.

Very underated film.

2nd one coming out in a few months:

How is it very underrated? 7 is about right and it has 7.6 on IMDB, 82 /100 on Metascore and 93% - 8/10 on Rottent Tomatoes..

Sorry to see Villeneuve is not doing the sequel, it's the guy from Gomorrah the TV series.  

Serpico.

Cops. Corruption. Al Pacino as a hippy with a kick-ass beard. A slow burner. Good, but not the classic that I'd seen it billed as.

7.2/10

I'm getting a feeling for older films now. Built on solid acting and script writing, rather than special effects etc.

Any recommendations? I'm thinking Citizen Kane next.

Klute. Jane Fonda and Donald Sutherland film from 1971.