You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

They Live

Never seen this and not sure why, it's like an 80s Starship Troopers (in that it's a smart film enjoying being as dumb as it can be).  Blunt satire with dry humour, enjoyable action and tonnes of B-movie references.  This is more brazen than ST in how it goes full swing into the 50s style effects, but then Verhoeven had a whole new set of toys to play with by the time he made his.  Insane to think there's less than a decade between the two productions.

John Carpenter, fucking legend - 9/10.

Guest Pistonbroke

Priest. 5/10.  Apocalyptic fantasy horror. Ninja Priests take on the new breed of Vampires. Could have been great if they had bothered, ended up being bang average on all accounts. 

Redemption. 8.5/10 Action thriller. If you are looking for your typical all action no sense action movie then look elsewhere. If you want to watch an action movie with believable story lines and characters then this one is for you, loved it. 

They Live

Never seen this and not sure why, it's like an 80s Starship Troopers (in that it's a smart film enjoying being as dumb as it can be).  Blunt satire with dry humour, enjoyable action and tonnes of B-movie references.  This is more brazen than ST in how it goes full swing into the 50s style effects, but then Verhoeven had a whole new set of toys to play with by the time he made his.  Insane to think there's less than a decade between the two productions.

John Carpenter, fucking legend - 9/10.

There certainly is abundant enjoyment of that in They Live.

Guest Pistonbroke

Sin City, a Dame to kill for. 8.5/10

Probably only a 7 if truth be told, but extra marks for Eva Green's penchant for getting her tits out, Jessica Alba's moves on the stage and a whole load of sexy cleavage. 

I find it boring. I like watching films I have seen before when I am just looking to relax... I half watch and half mess about on the internet, but I feel compelled to turn it off.

Like much of his high-speed, witty-japed, over-scripted schlock.

Watchable on first inspection, dated and banal soon thereafter.

Ghost in the Shell - Live action of the famous anime series that I've never seen. Story felt authentically manga, from my limited experience, in that it seemed very slight in story and very heavy in the deeper themes like identity. It looked a lot like a Blade Runner rip-off, which might be unfair as I'm not exactly up on whether manga influenced the look of Blade Runner or vice versa, and it's music was certainly influenced by it. Kind of liked it but it didn't really grab me. Scarlett Johansson was good, she really should have her own movie as Black Widow, and she's a good action star, although there wasn't as much as action in this film as I thought. 5.5 out of 10.

Ghost in the Shell - Live action of the famous anime series that I've never seen. Story felt authentically manga, from my limited experience, in that it seemed very slight in story and very heavy in the deeper themes like identity. It looked a lot like a Blade Runner rip-off, which might be unfair as I'm not exactly up on whether manga influenced the look of Blade Runner or vice versa, and it's music was certainly influenced by it. Kind of liked it but it didn't really grab me. Scarlett Johansson was good, she really should have her own movie as Black Widow, and she's a good action star, although there wasn't as much as action in this film as I thought. 5.5 out of 10.

x1yfcz.gif

John Wick Chapter 2 - More action with Keanu Reeves as a hitman who is the coolest bastard on the planet. Liked it a little less than the first but this was still great fun. Quality shoot-out scenes and fights plus the promise of another sequel. Both movies have been some of the best old school action movies of the last 20 years. 8.5 out of 10

Everybody wants some!! - Richard Linklater film about the start of the semester for a college baseball team over one weekend. Some really funny parts, some good parts and some slightly iffy gender politics as most of the women on-screen are just eye candy with the exception of one. That one looked familiar and it turns out it's Lea Thompson's daughter (Lorraine from Back to the Future) which weirded me out a little. Just a movie about a group of blokes fooling around for a few hours, it's a decent way to pass the time. 7.5 out of 10.