You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

The Punisher (2004 Film) 5.5/10

Watched this to get the gist of the new series on Netflix. The original film (based on the Marvel comic) is bang average though. Weak plot which is a bit of a mess at times, bang average humour and silly fight/killing scenes. There is also a second film 'The Punisher Warzone' from 2008 which I'll probably have to watch now before dipping into the TV series, which is hopefully a cut above the earlier stuf.

Warzone is worse, believe it or not.

The Punisher (2004 Film) 5.5/10

Watched this to get the gist of the new series on Netflix. The original film (based on the Marvel comic) is bang average though. Weak plot which is a bit of a mess at times, bang average humour and silly fight/killing scenes. There is also a second film 'The Punisher Warzone' from 2008 which I'll probably have to watch now before dipping into the TV series, which is hopefully a cut above the earlier stuf.

I think you can just watch the show. The movies have nothing to do with the TV series.

Guest Pistonbroke

If you want to see something before watching the Punisher watch the Daredevil tv series first. Its 2 seasons but covers far better than the films

Cheers Lee. Just added that to my 'To Watch' list on Netflix. 

Had a feeling that would be the case. 

I think you can just watch the show. The movies have nothing to do with the TV series.

Yeah, that's what I'll probably do now. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Had a few hours to kill this afternoon so watched it out of curiosity. Definitely a 4.5/10.

It is what it is I suppose, but all over the place most of the time. The flashbacks to his family's death showed it differently to film 1. Loony Bin Jim's charachter was as believable as a 50 year old 5 stone overweight Barry McGuigan taking on Mike Tyson in his prime. Then you can throw in the 'let's think of a way to kill our most dangerous arch enemy instead of shooting him in the face' scenario's. 

Deepwater Horizon - 6/10

Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Typical American hung-Ho scenes from Whalberg but Kurt Russell was good in it. The oil/fire scenes were decent and the suspense before it all went to shit was decent. Wont watch it again but glad its done. 

Finally got around to watch Boyhood, 8/10 for the effort, 7/10 for the film.

Not bad and I didn't find it boring as I feared, but still think that the "experiment" with making it for 10 years turned out to not to have been a success, the film is a bit long and a bit flat because Linklater had to justify filming it in "real time", so he had to include too many scenes to show how the kids are growing up gradually.

The problem is that the grown-up characters and family dynamics are far more interesting than the kids themselves, and for this, you didn't need the 10-year shoot. Cutting it down to about 110 instead of 160 odd minutes, focusing on three or fore more dramatic moments and using acting and make-up as well as two or three different actors for the children would have made a better movie I think. You do forget that this is the same kid anyway, so, what's the point?

Wonder, 8/10.

Went to see it today with Mrs G and kids. It was charming and moving. Son had read the book at school too.

Big shout out to Flix Brewhouse where we saw it. It’s a craft brewery and cinema all in one, with waiter service straight to your seat. It’s the way to do it. Going back over Christmas whenever Star Wars is out.

Big shout out to Flix Brewhouse where we saw it. It’s a craft brewery and cinema all in one, with waiter service straight to your seat. It’s the way to do it. Going back over Christmas whenever Star Wars is out.

Say what you want about the yanks but they know how to cater for people.

Wheelman

Loved it. It's the film 'Drive' should have been before they crow-barred a love-interest and needless schmaltz (not to mention the criminal under-use of Christina Hendricks). Edgy, noir and a juggernaut of a plot - direct, no dicking about and delivered with force. A lo-fi cult classic in the making.

8.48/10

The Florida Project.

A child's-eye view of breadline-existence in a garish Florida netherworld that really puts a mirror up to modern America without being preachy or resorting to poverty-pawn. It's masterful in that given the subject matter, and in less deft hands could be a chore to watch. But it's exactly the opposite. It's a truly, truly beautiful film in all the (non-conventional) ways it's possible to be. Pure poetry. Willem Dafoe in his best ever role (and I'm including Mississippi's Burning here). I urge you all to go and see it. 

9.8/10

• Upvote 1

Fantastic Beasts and where to find them - Okay, too heavy on the CGI (not very good CGI) and the plot had too many moving parts that didn't quite fit together. Lacked the sparkle of the Harry Potter movies, which is to be expected, but overall it was above average. 5 out of 10.

Logan Lucky - Really great fun for the first 80 minutes then there's an explicable extra 35 minutes of pointless epilogue that took too long, didn't have the required amount of laughs and just generally bogged everything down. No idea why they thought that needed to be there but it was laborious and pointless. 7 out of 10.

Jim and Andy: The Great Beyond - Documentary on the making of Man on the Moon. Biggest takeaway from this is I wish we had interviews with other people involved rather than just Jim Carrey spouting occasional mystical nonsense. The behind the scenes stuff was interesting but to me it confirmed that Carrey didn't get Kaufman as much as he thought he did because imitating him constantly without anyone in on the joke at all just made him an asshole. On the flip side, he clearly got the Tony Clifton gimmick. Half baked though, 6 out of 10.