You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

The Prophecy. 6/10. Mid 90's angels on earth fodder, good cast with Christopher Walken doing his best Christopher Walken impression but completely outshone by a cameo from Viggo Mortensen towards the end. Cool as.

I rewatched that myself a few weeks ago. The first time I saw it I thought it was really good, but time hasn't been kind to it. Agree about Mortensen though.

Ben-Hur - The 1959 version, not the one that's currently bombing in a cinema near you. This is movie making from a different era. The amount of extras, the sets, the scope - you just don't see Hollywood studios make movies like this now, it's the very classic example of the old Hollywood studio system, which is well parodied in Hail, Caesar! It's too long, there's a six minute musical overture at the start, and despite it being 3 hours and 30 minutes long, still manages to skip large parts of the story in a sentence but... you get to the chariot race sequence and it's absolutely amazing despite being made 60 years ago. The failure of the remake shows that a) there are certain films you should never remake and b) movies of this nature of a certain time and place, and modern audiences just don't want to see them. The original is a classic, lots of flaws, but such an impressive piece of cinema history 8.5 out of 10.

San Andreas - I really can't be having disaster movies in the CGI era. They can make entire cities rise and fall but nothing has any physical heft, it all looks like polystyrene being blown about in wind. LA is destroyed, San Francisco is destroyed, the Golden Gate Bridge collapses and yet you never ever feel like anyone is in danger because nothing looks real. Buildings get shredded like wet tissues and it seems like the laws of physics don't apply. There were two things that really took me out of it 1) was the student in the seismology class asking the dumbest question in the name of exposition, it was so dumb that you wonder how she got into college 2) was after San Francisco had the highest quake in history, the Rock's daughter heads to higher ground, so she heads to an unfinished building where all the new chairs for the office are still neatly stacked up! Having said all that, it wasn't offensively bad and the Rock was his usual badass self, Carlo Gugino still has it and Alexandra Daddario has an gravity-defying chest. 5 out of 10.

• Upvote 1

Gladiator, 9/10

Seen it several times before, and I'm not sure that I would give it 9/10 these days apart from the context when I watched it last night. Watched it with my lad as I told him he could watch it when he turned 10. He said it was the best film he had ever seen. There's a certain pleasure that comes with seeing a known film with someone else who is experiencing it for the first time.

• Upvote 5

Hummingbird - 5/10. Not sure what they were aiming for really. Statham does action, but the action pieces were few and far between, and he just isn't equipped for emotional drama.

Beaten To The .Punch - 6.5/10. Reasonable crime thriller, but can we stop casting James McEvoy as a copper. He just doesn't fit.

Momentum - 3/10. An action flick that is woeful, both in terms of most of the acting on display and the massive plot holes. However, in this shitfest there is one shining light, and that's James Purefoy's bad guy. Purefoy clearly realised he was in a shitfest and decided to have some fun with it. His character deserved a better film to be bad in.

Escape From LA - 3/10z. I don't know why I even bothered rewatching it. Time has not been kind and it wasn't great to start with. It merely serves as a testament to Carpenter's decline.

Gladiator, 9/10

Seen it several times before, and I'm not sure that I would give it 9/10 these days apart from the context when I watched it last night. Watched it with my lad as I told him he could watch it when he turned 10. He said it was the best film he had ever seen. There's a certain pleasure that comes with seeing a known film with someone else who is experiencing it for the first time.

It's mad to think Gladiator was released more than half a decade before your lad was born. One for the 'things that make you realise you're getting older thread', I guess.

I couldn't get away with drive it looks great and everything but I just couldn't shake how much it felt like a film student trying to do a taxi driver rip off while shoving as many arty shots in there as possible.

It's by no means a shit film and I enjoyed it when I watched it but I genuinely think the praise for it is way beyond what it deserved.

Drive is basically a remake of Walter Hill's The Driver (without the acknowledgement) in fact the opening five minutes are essentially the same. The Driver has Ryan O'Neal in the 'Le samurai' role and he's slightly more human. It also stars Isabelle Adjani which automatically makes it better than Refn's film.