You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

I have recently "discovered" Linda Darnell and watched a few classics (well, more or less) with her in the past few days:

It Happened Tomorrow - "time-travel" movie from '44 with Dick Powell, pretty decent stuff. Basic premise similar to that Early Edition TV show - 66/100

The Mark of Zorro - adventure lark from '40 with Tyrone Power and Basil Rathbone who I love, good movie - 77/100

Blackbeard, the Pirate - '52 adventure/historical flick without surprises, horrible script, good performances - 51/100

linda-darnell-shared-picture-320231309.j

• Upvote 1

Bad Neighbours - I'm a fan of Seth Rogen films. Can't stand Zac Efron but this had me in stitches at points. Also has the splendidly beautiful Rose Byrne in it. I'd marry her tomorrow. If you are a fan of the likes of Knocked up and Superbad (its not as funny as superbad but not much is) then watch this. 7.6/10

It loses marks for Efron the fucking rich little blue-eyed cunt.

• Upvote 2

On the subject of old films you have never got around to watching. Is 12 angry men worth the hype. Anyone watched it or is it another Citizen Kain

Another Citizen Kane as in?

12 Angry Men is absolutely brilliant and much more accessible than Citizen Kane, if that is what you mean. Kane is a great great movie as well.

• Upvote 1

Another Citizen Kane as in?

12 Angry Men is absolutely brilliant and much more accessible than Citizen Kane, if that is what you mean. Kane is a great great movie as well.

I like Citizen Kane but it's acclaim is overstated imo. Bit of empourers new clothes about it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You suddenly sounded like you were having a stoke. I'm hoping the colloquial meaning, not the medical.

You suddenly sounded like you were having a stoke. I'm hoping the colloquial meaning, not the medical.

No not a stroke thanks mate, What goes on in my head often does not replicate itself on the page. Its not Dyslexia, but I could read the same sentence i have written 100 times and think it is fine whereas someone else will see it as nonsense. I can't explain it.

that and the whisky

On the subject of old films you have never got around to watching. Is 12 angry men worth the hype. Anyone watched it or is it another Citizen Kain

All old films are better than new films. Star Wars ruined moviemaking.

• Upvote 2

I like Citizen Kane but it's acclaim is overstated imo. Bit of empourers new clothes about it.

Ok, fair enough. I kinda agree, in that it is often called "the best movie ever", which takes it too far in my opinion.

The thing about Kane is that a lot of what makes it so great comes from technical aspects - like camerawork, scenographic stuff, lighting, composition - and a lot that stuff is just normal nowadays for the modern viewer, because CK set a lot of standards that were being copied then.

12 Angry Men also has some of that stuff, but the story itself - and the script - is just outstanding and carries a message that appeals to a lot of people.

12 Angry Men is brilliant. Love Lumet's long takes, very verbose, great film. I also love Citizen Kane too though.

One of my very favourite "old" films is Elmer Gantry with Burt Lancaster and Jean Simmons. From start to finish, Lancaster puts in the performance of his lifetime, just amazing stuff.

Damn, just watched that again, totally wonderful.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Love Lumet's long takes, very verbose, great film.

There can't be many places on the internet where you can go from a thread about slags and tits, to reading about the verbosity of Lumet's cinematography; fewer still where it's the same poster contributing the content.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Ironically, a word which could induce a stroke in many of us this past week.

No blah blach on blah blef.

Birdman - 9/10

So different the way it appeared almost continuously shot and very original

Senna - 10/10 actually a docu but surely it's greatest sports doc ever made?

The Train - 10/10 black and white classic

On the waterfront is on my 'next classic I have never seen yet' list. Hope it lives up to the hype

• Upvote 1

A Bronx Tale. 9.5/10. Superb, and the bit with the bikers in the bar is probably my favourite bit of film of all time. So many great moments.

The bit where they're rolling the dice is sublime. Get in the bathroom!

00:34:01 -What? -I don't want your money -

00:34:04 My money's no good? Why?

00:34:05 Why? Cos you're a fucking jinx. Put him in the fucking bathroom.

00:34:09 Get outta here!

00:34:13 -Get outta here! -Fucking loser!

00:34:48 Georgio, stop fucking breathing on me.

00:34:51 Stop breathing on me, huh?

00:34:53 Put him in the bathroom.

00:34:54 Sonny, he ain't gonna fit.

00:34:57 I don't give a fuck!

00:36:11 Jimmy, get a towel. Put it over his head.

00:36:14 Come on, Sonny, it's embarrassing.

00:36:17 Put him in the fucking bathroom.

00:36:19 Wait a minute. Whoa! My money's here.

00:36:22 Get the fuck outta here!

• Upvote 1