You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Watched King of Kong the other day. As you say, it's really good. However, on closer inspection the story told in the film isn't quite true.

Have a look on the Twin Galaxies website for further details. (And I only did that AFTER watching the film! I'd never heard of the website before then)

Anyhoo.

Drag Me To Hell - 8/10. Classic scary comedy from Raimi in the best traditions of the Evil Dead films

The Wrestler - 9 out of 10. Really captures the way some of the men in the business just can't let go even after it's spat them out and all but disowned them when they had put it above everything else in their lives. Mickey Rourke was robbed, or was he? I've got Milk(Baaah!) to watch tonight so I'll decide then.

Seraphim Falls 8/10. Think Rambo set 100 years ago in the desert, with Pierce Brosnan. Sounds awful but isn't. It's gripping.

Deja Vu 5/10. Once you accept the ludicrous plot and get into the swing of it, it's good harmless fun, typical Tony Scott/Jerry bruckheimer blockbuster fare. Denzel, of course, is worth a couple of points alone; without him it would be quite weak, in truth, but overall it's watchable enough.

Sunshine 1/10. Is this Danny Boyle really the same guy that made some of the most defining films of the last 15 years? This is execrable rubbish, like 2001 with Top Gun gazes. Little to recommend it.

Edited by moxter

Bottleshock....a movie surrounding the real life blind tasting of wine in Paris 1976 in which Californian wines beat the French. A great movie. A great story. A splendid cast and the period feel helped.

8 pretentious pillocks prattling on about the nose of the wine out of 10

Today I watched Der Baader Meinhof Komplex a wonderful and powerful biopic of the German Terrorist group. A superb film. Also in a weird way it is amazing how a few intelligent but unbalanced individuals can make such a huge impact upon the world. Wonderfully written, directed and acted. Be warned it is 2hours 29 minutes. I do not know whether there is a dubbed version but this was subtitled.

10 German nutter bombers and machine gun wielding loons out of 10

Rewatched two movies:

28 days later- 8/10

probably the best zombie movie ever made. Its unique and skillfully realistic take invites the viewer to engage emotionally with the characters instead of just sitting back and enjoying some campy fun. Action scenes are visually differentiated and impeccably shot/edited. Ok Danny Boyle wank is now over.

28 weeks later- 7/10

basically a continuation of the same sincere and thoughtful approach, but with less engaging characters and some story problems towards the end. The first 75% of the film is really great, but its a bit of an anticlimax after that. Much more action packed than its prequel and has some standout moments like the helicopter chewing through a crowd of zombies. Overall a more limited but very tight and successful film.

And I cant help but commenting on Gran Torino which was reviewed above- how you can stand the absurdly bad acting (or horrendous script, hard to tell which) of almost every single person aside from Clint is beyond me. A fucking disgrace this complete director's failure ever made it to the screen.

Terminator Salvation. 7.5/10

Despite trying not to, I still have to compare it to T1 and T2. On it's own, it stands up well. Better than I thought it would be, having seen what they did with T3.

Notice how the Terminator and Matrix stories interweave?

How to lose friends and alienate people.

It was alright, not that funny and didn’t have much point. Still I like Simon Pegg, and I like Kirsten Dunst, and although annoying in parts it was quite watchable for a Sunday evening.

Megan Fox is ridiculous. She’s quite a bad actor, and probably annoying as hell in real life, and I really don't go for the ladsmagbimbo nonsense, but the amount of sex she gives off... man alive.

4/10