Went to the Odeon to watch the rooftop concert yesterday. Absolutely fucking magic, the sound was awesome and really, really loud. Made a change from the wife asking me to turn it down.

One thing that struck me though was how I’d never really noticed how lively Ringo’s playing is on the roof. He looks freezing, he’s playing with a tea towel on his snare, probably an awful stage sound too but he’s properly grooving and looks like he’s having a great time.

People have always stated how lucky he was to join the Beatles, I think the lads were pretty lucky too.

• Upvote 2

Just finished watching Get Back. Great to see, after all the tensions when they first started rehearsing together in Twickenham, how much they clearly loved just being a band and playing together.

On 18/12/2021 at 22:55, El Rojo said:

I’m two episodes in. It’s even better than I thought it would be.

How cool and at peace with himself was Ringo? And how chilled were the other three that Yoko’s constant presence genuinely doesn’t seem to bother them? Overall, they’re all remarkably well balanced for people who are famous in a way that nobody has been before or since. 

A highlight of Part Three is Ringo saying "I've farted".

• Upvote 1

On 26/11/2021 at 07:58, Total Longo said:

The odd thing for me was the way the other three discussed Harrison leaving so matter of factly, almost uncaringly. "if he's not back in three days, we'll get Clapton in".

There was a moment (after the first meeting with George had failed and they weren't sure whether John was coming to the studio) where Paul says "and then there were two" and he looks completely broken-hearted. I got something in my eye at that point.

What struck me about it was how much McCartney was in charge, Lennon (to me) came across as nothing like the acerbic confrontational personality I always thought of him as. The bit where one of the technicians told McCartney that his bass was out of tune and the reactions of everybody was telling

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

What struck me about it was how much McCartney was in charge, Lennon (to me) came across as nothing like the acerbic confrontational personality I always thought of him as. The bit where one of the technicians told McCartney that his bass was out of tune and the reactions of everybody was telling

McCartney reminded me of my oldest sister: he recognised that he was being a pain in the arse nagging people to get stuff done, but he also recognised that nothing would get done if he didn't.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

McCartney reminded me of my oldest sister: he recognised that he was being a pain in the arse nagging people to get stuff done, but he also recognised that nothing would get done if he didn't.

Yeah, I mean I don’t know your sister obviously but that’s how he came across. They all seemed like decent fellas on that film I thought

I think McCartney is quite astoundingly patient in the face of Harrison's clear desire to not want to be there, coupled with Lennon's heroin induced lethargy. 

10 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Lennon was out of his cake for the first week or so. Macca obviously seemed awkward, as the Beatles were ultimately Lennon's band, but Paul was driving the whole thing.

This is a good music podcast, and this episode in particular (recorded before Get Back) looks at the Beatles last days - i never knew Lennon wanted to make one last Beatles album after Abbey Road - it would have been a double album with Paul, John and George contributing four songs each, and Ringo two. 

What could have been...

Screenshot_2022-03-21-21-15-46-54_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I've never seen this before, the look of sheer panic on Frosts face as the belt out 'it's now or never'.

Gloriuous stuff.

It is fantastic, I'm surprised you haven't seen it, it's probably one of their most popular vids. The only thing that spoils it is that cunt with the flowery specs trying to make it about himself towards the end.

Just now, Mudface said:

It is fantastic, I'm surprised you haven't seen it, it's probably one of their most popular vids. The only thing that spoils it is that cunt with the flowery specs trying to make it about himself towards the end.

I’ve seen the video loads of times, it’s the start I’d not seen when they start belting out ‘It’s now or never’ and Frost looks at them like ‘Fuck, did they stay away from performing because they’re THIS bad?’ 

Lovely little practical joke.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Mudface said:

And a young Tim Henman at 7.19, dressed in full military get up... 

• Upvote 1