You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

'Fifth Beatle' doesn't fully do him justice. His influence on iconic songs like Eleanor Rigby, Tomorrow Never Knows and A Day In The Life is huge, and they still sound better today than just about everything else.  

Absolute legend and seemed a complete gentleman in an industry with few.  

• Upvote 1

I was lucky to be growing up as the Beatles were just about breaking through. The excitement at the time was tremendous and I can still remember going to my mates to listen to the first album which had just come out. 1962, I think, but it seems like yesterday. I was blown away by McCartney counting in 'I saw her standing there' in broad scouse. The song wasn't bad either....I'm in the process of reading the Mark Lewissohn book and can highly recommend it.

• Upvote 5

• 5 months later...

Live album from the Hollywood Bowl out this Friday with the film, Eight Days a Week to follow on the 15th.

I can't get to any of the Edinburgh screenings (all at 6pm on the 15th), which I'm fucking gutted about so it'll be the Blu Ray for Christmas.

• Upvote 1

Had a boss one the other day- I was having a little wander around streets of Kobe about 8/9pm. Anyway, I hear a live version of 'I Feel Fine' drifting up from some underground bar. My curiosity is piqued and catch this Japanese Beatles tribute band play this amazing set (same as was the Beatles' setlist on their Japanese tour 50 years previously).

Anyway, I get talking to the owner of the club and she speaks great English. She tells me that her and her husband (who was mixing the sound) were in Liverpool only last week and he was invited onto Radio Merseyside to do an interview with Billy Butler. She points at this photo she pulls out and goes, "Do you know, Mr Billy Butler?"

Have to say, that's a sentence I never thought I'd hear a Japanese person say.

• Upvote 4

Had a boss one the other day- I was having a little wander around streets of Kobe about 8/9pm. Anyway, I hear a live version of 'I Feel Fine' drifting up from some underground bar. My curiosity is piqued and catch this Japanese Beatles tribute band play this amazing set (same as was the Beatles' setlist on their Japanese tour 50 years previously).

Anyway, I get talking to the owner of the club and she speaks great English. She tells me that her and her husband (who was mixing the sound) were in Liverpool only last week and he was invited onto Radio Merseyside to do an interview with Billy Butler. She points at this photo she pulls out and goes, "Do you know, Mr Billy Butler?"

Did you ask her to hold your plums?
  • Upvote 3

Birry Butrer?

I was just reading the Amazon reviews of the 'new' live LP from Hollywood Bowl & this one tickled me...

ByDoctor Dr Xon 11 September 2016
I am probably one of the Beatles biggest ever fans but I will returning this CD for a refund.

Where are classics like Let It Be, Strawberry Fields Forever, Hey Jude, Live and Let Die, Hard Days Night and Love Me Do???? Seems odd that the Beatles would have played a show and missed these songs.

Also there is no way that this is the complete show as my mate said he saw the Beatles in the 60's live and they used to play for about 90 minutes.
  • Upvote 3

It's a piss take, Tony. Having read some of the comments apparently the boy does it for loads of albums on there. I thought it was quite funny though, especially Live & let die, which was recorded by another band about 10 years after the Hollywood Bowl concert.

Edit to say that most people on there are giving the album rave reviews, apparently they've done a great job with the re-mastering & separating the band from the audience.

It's a piss take, Tony. Having read some of the comments apparently the boy does it for loads of albums on there. I thought it was quite funny though, especially Live & let die, which was recorded by another band about 10 years after the Hollywood Bowl concert.

Edit to say that most people on there are giving the album rave reviews, apparently they've done a great job with the re-mastering & separating the band from the audience.

I want to play it in the car this afternoon, but don't have a CD player. Just had a look in the iTunes store - the prices are a joke. Cunts.

Heard bootlegs of this concert decades ago and they were shit , Band barely audible above the screaming, 

If a decent audio existed it would have surfaced a long long time ago. This must be some scam 

I've not heard it myself (and I've never heard the old 70s LP of the gig either) so I'm only going on the online reviews.

I'd be quite interested to hear it myself, one for pay day at the end of the month.

I've not heard it myself (and I've never heard the old 70s LP of the gig either) so I'm only going on the online reviews.

I'd be quite interested to hear it myself, one for pay day at the end of the month.

I had a vinyl boot of the gig back in the late 70's . My mate got a couple from a record fair for a tenner each. Sold mine for 20 quid after playing it once, The Beatles paid for a decent night on the lash and paid back the tenner I owed my mate.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

Watched Eight Days a Week tonight for the first time and thought it was absolutely brilliant. 10/10.

One thing I always like to mention about The Beatles (especially to really bored looking people in the pub) is how much of a great drummer Ringo is and this film backs me up, he's a joy to watch.

• Upvote 4

Watched Eight Days a Week tonight for the first time and thought it was absolutely brilliant. 10/10.

One thing I always like to mention about The Beatles (especially to really bored looking people in the pub) is how much of a great drummer Ringo is and this film backs me up, he's a joy to watch.

I saw it a few weeks back and thought it brilliant too, apart from the music you forget how actually funny they are especially at the beginning .

And I know we've all seen the clip but when the part with The Kop is shown it's a definite hairs on the back of your neck standing up moment, I think it's the fact you know people all over the world are seeing that and how fucking cool it looked.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...