You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I think you've hit on the key point as to what makes them so great. The creative roll they went on in just 7 years is quite unbelievable.

Exactly, it had never been done before and has never been done since. It will never be repeated. You get the impression that the quality of their songs will still resonate in hundreds of years, I wonder how many other popular musicians tunes will do the same?

I love them, no denying it, but I do wonder if they get a lot of love on here because they are from Liverpool. I sometimes wonder if people on other area related places forums like them as much.

I think it might be the other way round. Some people from Liverpool might dislike The Beatles because we have them rammed down our throat. The Echo for instance would happily do a 'Weren't The Beatles great' special issue every month.

If you had a poll on their best album, the votes would be split. That's how good they were and how much their music changed from pretty much album to album.

I'm gonna wait until their remastered box set comes down way in price and invest in it.

Bought the Remastered version of Revolver last week and haven't stopped listening to it! The combinations of guitar and great lyrics made musical genius, the album will continue to be the greatest to ever be created due to its diversity and originality.

My favourite song from that album is I'm only sleeping or Taxman, cant decide due to the brilliance of the album (even the cover is boss!)

What are people buying? mono or stereo. I've got the mono box set in my wish list. I've got all their albums, split between vinyl and cd, mono and stereo. The mono set doesn't have abbey road and let it be, but they are not my favourites any way.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

George Martin dead, aged 90. 'Been a wretched year for music greats going to the great gig in the sky.

I'm going to use this as an excuse to listen to Apocalypse by the Mahavishnu Orchestra tonight (he produced it & regarded it as one of the finest records he made).

• Upvote 1

Side 2 Abbey Road is super and should be listened to but at present ive re discovered The Things We Said Today and keep putting it on the jukebox whenever in my local , its defo one of my favourites, a great record, but so many.

I have to say I was more of a Stones when younger probably due to the country influence of my up bringing and the Stones seemed to stick at that sort of genre? and were about the best at it , but  I reckon the Beatles where far more versatile and ground breaking at that time.

RIP George Martin.

Just thinking about it this morning, there can't be many people who have singularly influenced the course of popular music more than George Martin, The Beatles would've been great without him but they would've been a lot different in my opinion, I think his influence was massive on them & every musician who was influenced by them as a result.

A real sad loss to music.

• Upvote 1

i picked up the blu-ray documentary on him that was on BBC4 a little while back. with extra stuff on it. will give it a watch when i get a minute.

like when his Montserrat Air studios went to shit because of the hurricanes- where so much great music was created also- you realise in life that nothing good lasts forever.

all very sad.

• Upvote 1