You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Went to the Odeon to watch the rooftop concert yesterday. Absolutely fucking magic, the sound was awesome and really, really loud. Made a change from the wife asking me to turn it down.

One thing that struck me though was how I’d never really noticed how lively Ringo’s playing is on the roof. He looks freezing, he’s playing with a tea towel on his snare, probably an awful stage sound too but he’s properly grooving and looks like he’s having a great time.

People have always stated how lucky he was to join the Beatles, I think the lads were pretty lucky too.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/12/2021 at 22:55, El Rojo said:

I’m two episodes in. It’s even better than I thought it would be.

How cool and at peace with himself was Ringo? And how chilled were the other three that Yoko’s constant presence genuinely doesn’t seem to bother them? Overall, they’re all remarkably well balanced for people who are famous in a way that nobody has been before or since. 

A highlight of Part Three is Ringo saying "I've farted".

• Upvote 1

On 26/11/2021 at 07:58, Total Longo said:

The odd thing for me was the way the other three discussed Harrison leaving so matter of factly, almost uncaringly. "if he's not back in three days, we'll get Clapton in".

There was a moment (after the first meeting with George had failed and they weren't sure whether John was coming to the studio) where Paul says "and then there were two" and he looks completely broken-hearted. I got something in my eye at that point.

What struck me about it was how much McCartney was in charge, Lennon (to me) came across as nothing like the acerbic confrontational personality I always thought of him as. The bit where one of the technicians told McCartney that his bass was out of tune and the reactions of everybody was telling

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

What struck me about it was how much McCartney was in charge, Lennon (to me) came across as nothing like the acerbic confrontational personality I always thought of him as. The bit where one of the technicians told McCartney that his bass was out of tune and the reactions of everybody was telling

McCartney reminded me of my oldest sister: he recognised that he was being a pain in the arse nagging people to get stuff done, but he also recognised that nothing would get done if he didn't.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

McCartney reminded me of my oldest sister: he recognised that he was being a pain in the arse nagging people to get stuff done, but he also recognised that nothing would get done if he didn't.

Yeah, I mean I don’t know your sister obviously but that’s how he came across. They all seemed like decent fellas on that film I thought

10 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Lennon was out of his cake for the first week or so. Macca obviously seemed awkward, as the Beatles were ultimately Lennon's band, but Paul was driving the whole thing.

This is a good music podcast, and this episode in particular (recorded before Get Back) looks at the Beatles last days - i never knew Lennon wanted to make one last Beatles album after Abbey Road - it would have been a double album with Paul, John and George contributing four songs each, and Ringo two. 

What could have been...

Screenshot_2022-03-21-21-15-46-54_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I've never seen this before, the look of sheer panic on Frosts face as the belt out 'it's now or never'.

Gloriuous stuff.

It is fantastic, I'm surprised you haven't seen it, it's probably one of their most popular vids. The only thing that spoils it is that cunt with the flowery specs trying to make it about himself towards the end.

Just now, Mudface said:

It is fantastic, I'm surprised you haven't seen it, it's probably one of their most popular vids. The only thing that spoils it is that cunt with the flowery specs trying to make it about himself towards the end.

I’ve seen the video loads of times, it’s the start I’d not seen when they start belting out ‘It’s now or never’ and Frost looks at them like ‘Fuck, did they stay away from performing because they’re THIS bad?’ 

Lovely little practical joke.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Mudface said:

And a young Tim Henman at 7.19, dressed in full military get up... 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
34 minutes ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

My lad’s just recorded a couple of tracks with his Beatles tribute band. He’s 15 and is ‘Paul, the others are 17-18. Just thought I share one with y’all as I think they’ve done a decent job.

Bloody brilliant. Anybody who can play and sing that well get my total admiration.

• 1 month later...
On 05/04/2022 at 18:33, Bruce Spanner said:

I’ve seen the video loads of times, it’s the start I’d not seen when they start belting out ‘It’s now or never’ and Frost looks at them like ‘Fuck, did they stay away from performing because they’re THIS bad?’ 

Lovely little practical joke.

That's the point when Paul Jones (who reviewed the Sullivan show) said "I fucking told you!"