You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

6 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I thought Mal Evans came across as a massive dope in this documentary. Fair fucks for the lads giving a job to an old mate though,you've got to admire that loyalty. Yoko Ono properly wound me up though,and I have no agenda against her. She just seemed to have some spell over Lennon that I couldn't understand. I have no idea if she was a groupie who struck gold as I haven't read that much about her personal lfe beforehand but it just looked a bit like that to me as an onlooker.

She was a renowned artist and an heiress.

Lennon was punching...

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I thought Mal Evans came across as a massive dope in this documentary. Fair fucks for the lads giving a job to an old mate though,you've got to admire that loyalty. Yoko Ono properly wound me up though,and I have no agenda against her. She just seemed to have some spell over Lennon that I couldn't understand. I have no idea if she was a groupie who struck gold as I haven't read that much about her personal lfe beforehand but it just looked a bit like that to me as an onlooker.

Mal reminds me of Spencer from Phoenix Nights. 

Ct4Cqr4WAAAGvIC.jpg

26 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Has anyone got this book? 

D6BF3CD3-AF03-439D-8B0C-D091C6B9F6E3.jpeg

Yes. And no. I bought it and paid for it myself, my wife then took the delivery, opened it and said “oh, I’ll get you that for Christmas and give you the money” and put it away somewhere. Goes without saying she hasn’t given me the money for it. 

It’ll make a nice Christmas present to myself I suppose. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Has anyone got this book? 

D6BF3CD3-AF03-439D-8B0C-D091C6B9F6E3.jpeg

8 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Yes. And no. I bought it and paid for it myself, my wife then took the delivery, opened it and said “oh, I’ll get you that for Christmas and give you the money” and put it away somewhere. Goes without saying she hasn’t given me the money for it. 

It’ll make a nice Christmas present to myself I suppose. 

Getting it for Christmas, although my missus did pay for it. I think.

• Upvote 1

On 17/12/2021 at 07:25, Total Longo said:

No, but watching Get Back prompted me to buy this, as i realised having read countless Beatles books that the break up and aftermath was the one period that i wasn't fully educated in. So far, so good.

You Never Give Me Your Money: The Battle For The Soul Of The Beatles (Paperback)

This last says of the beatles is also a good read too

So the other night I decided to watch Let It Be, which I haven't watched since it came out on DVD about 20 years ago. I surprisingly enjoyed it much more than I did before. In fact it felt a bit like when you've been to a brilliant match and you get home and watch it on MOTD, even missing out some great bits you can't understand why they're edited out. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Just to digress on George Martin, he went on to produce some great albums after The Beatles broke up...

He sure did.

Just to digress, I was lucky enough to see Jeff Beck here in New Zealand while on his World Tour for the Blow By Blow album back in ‘76 if my memory serves me correctly, which it doesn’t as often as it used to.

• Upvote 2

So, Ive gone through my whole ‘Get Back’ trip over the last two weeks.

I’m only working two days a week, so on the other three week days, I’ve been dropping The Mrs off to work and packing the Dog off to Daycare, getting back home by 9:15am. I open me Disney App on me iPad, and Chromecast to the TV (sound thru my 5.1 system). Once the lads are going about their business in ‘Get Back’, I plug my Telecaster into my Vox amp and set it up to jam along. In between jamming I get housework done - cooking, etc, bit of Crypto trading as well.

Basically ‘Get Back’ has been the visual accompaniment & soundtrack to my life for over two weeks. Its been the best time of my life in about 2 decades. I laughed and cried and danced and played with these guys and now I’m letting go…just a little bit. Moving on somewhat.

Ive come to the conclusion, and I’d appreciate feedback - its just an opinion - but putting aside ‘the girlfriends’ and George’s ‘new path’ as a singer songwriter and the resentment he started to feel, and discomfort between him & Paul trying to communicate - I think that the death of ‘Mr Epstein’ was the beginning of the the end for the fab four. Clearly Paul was trying to take on that role, as they had got rich and they had got lazy and got into a drug induced daze. He didn’t want the role, but somebody had to step up. They didn’t need to do anything ever again. Just party 24/7 and degenerate into a mind numbing existence. There were a lot of casualties of fame and fortune in the late 60s.

Epstein was their Rock, and then he was gone. It changed everything. They missed him and didn’t know what to do. Just my take.

• Upvote 7

27 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

So, Ive gone through my whole ‘Get Back’ trip over the last two weeks.

I’m only working two days a week, so on the other three week days, I’ve been dropping The Mrs off to work and packing the Dog off to Daycare, getting back home by 9:15am. I open me Disney App on me iPad, and Chromecast to the TV (sound thru my 5.1 system). Once the lads are going about their business in ‘Get Back’, I plug my Telecaster into my Vox amp and set it up to jam along. In between jamming I get housework done - cooking, etc, bit of Crypto trading as well.

Basically ‘Get Back’ has been the visual accompaniment & soundtrack to my life for over two weeks. Its been the best time of my life in about 2 decades. I laughed and cried and danced and played with these guys and now I’m letting go…just a little bit. Moving on somewhat.

Ive come to the conclusion, and I’d appreciate feedback - its just an opinion - but putting aside ‘the girlfriends’ and George’s ‘new path’ as a singer songwriter and the resentment he started to feel, and discomfort between him & Paul trying to communicate - I think that the death of ‘Mr Epstein’ was the beginning of the the end for the fab four. Clearly Paul was trying to take on that role, as they had got rich and they had got lazy and got into a drug induced daze. He didn’t want the role, but somebody had to step up. They didn’t need to do anything ever again. Just party 24/7 and degenerate into a mind numbing existence. There were a lot of casualties of fame and fortune in the late 60s.

Epstein was their Rock, and then he was gone. It changed everything. They missed him and didn’t know what to do. Just my take.

That's pretty much what I thought. They needed a leader, and there wasn't one who could be dominant within the band because they were all so fucking brilliant. It's been said many times with writers who disappeared up their own arses that they needed an 'editor', someone external to the creative process who could stop the excesses. There was no obvious person in the band who could have done that. On the other hand, some of the White Album, most of Abbey Road and a bit of Let It Be were astonishingly good even amongst all the stress.

What the film didn't include but heavily foreshadowed was the involvement of Allen Klein. By all accounts, he was poison and it was financial difficulties that eventually split them up rather than creative differences. Such a fucking shame.

edit- forgot to say, I'm delighted that you enjoyed it so much. It's an absolutely fantastic documentary. It's so nice to celebrate what happened and spend time mourning the Yoko myths.

• Upvote 1

I’m two episodes in. It’s even better than I thought it would be.

How cool and at peace with himself was Ringo? And how chilled were the other three that Yoko’s constant presence genuinely doesn’t seem to bother them? Overall, they’re all remarkably well balanced for people who are famous in a way that nobody has been before or since. 

Must go back and listen to all the first solo albums again after this.

• Upvote 2

On 18/12/2021 at 22:55, El Rojo said:

I’m two episodes in. It’s even better than I thought it would be.

How cool and at peace with himself was Ringo? And how chilled were the other three that Yoko’s constant presence genuinely doesn’t seem to bother them? Overall, they’re all remarkably well balanced for people who are famous in a way that nobody has been before or since. 

Must go back and listen to all the first solo albums again after this.

I don't think it was Yoko doing anything particular that contributed to the break up,it was just Lennon's infatuation with her. And that Allan Klein twat who finally seemed to destroy any remaining unity,from what I've heard anyway. Lennon seemed infatuated with him too while McCartney saw the warning signs.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I don't think it was Yoko doing anything particular that contributed to the break up,it was just Lennon's infatuation with her. And that Allan Klein twat who finally seemed to destroy any remaining unity,from what I've heard anyway. Lennon seemed infatuated with him too while McCartney saw the warning signs.

Glyn Jones had plenty to say on Klein too!

Poor Mal Evans had a very sad ending a few years later. 

Billy Preston’s playing is absolutely perfect on Get Back and Don’t Let Me Down. Hard to imagine those songs without his input. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Glyn Jones had plenty to say on Klein too!

Poor Mal Evans had a very sad ending a few years later. 

Billy Preston’s playing is absolutely perfect on Get Back and Don’t Let Me Down. Hard to imagine those songs without his input. 

Trigger happy LA cops again...

When Lennon is first telling Harrison about Klein, it might just be me reading too much into it, but George doesn't seem too enthusiastic - he's very quiet. And later - as someone mentioned above - Glyn Johns has definitely got his number. We've all met someone like that, who if they think they're above you or don't like what you're saying will change he subject. 

When his name comes up and Lennon and Macca are talking about meeting him you want to shout at the telly DON'T DO IT!! 

The stuff that happened after the sessions makes for interesting reading - https://www.beatlesbible.com/albums/let-it-be/3/

It's just really sad - after the rooftop stuff they're all made up and on a high and talking about concerts all over London. Then they went on to do Abbey Road but then it all turned sour very quickly. 

Watched this twice now and something else that jumped out to me again is what a fantastic singer Paul was. His voice is brilliantly suited to John's and their harmonies are glorious but I honestly think his singing gets overlooked at times due to how amazing the band were as a whole. Whether he's crooning ballads like Let It Be or ripping the balls off the middle eight of I've Got A Feeling his voice is pitch perfect and his range is tremendous. Even now I still have a bit of a man crush on Paul even though I love all the band members individually. Brilliant, just brilliant.

• Upvote 2