You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

14 minutes ago, Paul said:

I know it seems a ridiculous thing to say, but I was quite surprised by just how Scouse they all are in this. It’s not that they’ve not seemed Scouse subsequently, but I suppose watching this it struck me how they seem like four 20-somethings from Liverpool rather than four cultural icons.

Ringo's accent is all over the shop nowadays, but i guess nearly 50 years of living on the West coast of America will soften anyone's accent. George always sounded the most Scouse back in the day, despite John thinking that he was the working class hero.    

15 hours ago, Paul said:

I know it seems a ridiculous thing to say, but I was quite surprised by just how Scouse they all are in this. It’s not that they’ve not seemed Scouse subsequently, but I suppose watching this it struck me how they seem like four 20-somethings from Liverpool rather than four cultural icons.

Agreed. It's just four young lads from Liverpool. It's mad that none of them were even 30 years old by the time the group split up. I like the way they treat the group like it's no great shakes. George fucks off because no one's listening to his ideas and writes "left The Beatles" in his diary - as if he were picking up a pack of potatoes from Tesco.

It's also endearing the way they're living off toast, butter and marmalade throughout the sessions. Nowadays, Justin Beiber would have his private chef flown in from Canada. It really comes across how humble they all are, and how it's just one big piss-take to them that they're famous.

7 hours ago, Boss said:

Agreed. It's just four young lads from Liverpool. It's mad that none of them were even 30 years old by the time the group split up. I like the way they treat the group like it's no great shakes. George fucks off because no one's listening to his ideas and writes "left The Beatles" in his diary - as if he were picking up a pack of potatoes from Tesco.

It's also endearing the way they're living off toast, butter and marmalade throughout the sessions. Nowadays, Justin Beiber would have his private chef flown in from Canada. It really comes across how humble they all are, and how it's just one big piss-take to them that they're famous.

Lennon let that mask slip when he was recording Imagine though, as Phil Mcdonald will testify to.  

7 hours ago, Boss said:

I’d say that was part of the issue for Paul throughout the film, the other 3 did come across like they felt like that, Paul didn’t, he was definitely aware (probably because of the execs constantly saying “You owe it to the world”) 

I’ve just started the third viewing of this. 

On Part 3 now and it’s fucking brilliant. Just love how much fun they’re having in the studio making music together (their own and other people’s), having a laugh and keeping Heather entertained. They just seem like a proper family. Plus TLAWR is one of my absolute favourites too, so that helps. Incredible. 

• Upvote 2

It's such a joy that all this has seen the light of day. I know it's not everyone's favourite Beatles LP but I've always loved Let It Be, it has a rough and ready appeal to it & watching them put it all together is one of the greatest things in music.

When they get on that rooftop, in the freezing cold and are playing I've Got A Feeling with all those great ideas and talent combined, it's hard to imagine there's anyone better.

Two random points from me on it, I think Dig A Pony is a massively underrated song, I could listen to it all day & this documentary makes me wish all my other favourite bands had done this, imagine a series like this about Led Zeppelin III or Hot Rats? The mind boggles.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

There's no chance of this documentary coming to dvd is there? Me father in law would love it but they wouldn't bother streaming it.

There's talk of a physical release in 2023 but nothing concrete at the moment.

And Let It Be Naked is magic.

• Upvote 2

On 29/11/2021 at 23:09, the chimp said:

I thought it was perfect. I was laughing out loud when Macca was on the roof singing about Loretta's ma being unhappy and getting them arrested, I had teared up earlier when he said "and then there were two." I always thought Ringo was a bit of a dick head, but he comes across here (probably like he really is), just a sweet, caring, nice guy. John was funny as fuck and it was great to see George and Ringo working together - a real bond like John and Paul had. The roof recording and how it was presented was fantastic too. It's Oscar worthy for sure and sets the bar as a music documentary that's unlikely to be topped. I loved, every single second of it.

It's funny, I've always liked George and kind of felt he was the coolest of the 4 of them, but I've gone off him a little bit through this as he's often just come across as a bit of a baby - although I guess in many ways he was. 

I've just got the rooftop concert left to watch, which I'm saving for when I've got the house to myself and a fine tin of beer. 

11 minutes ago, Boss said:

I don't know whether anyone's heard Let it Be Naked, but they've remastered the album so George's guitar isn't so loud and cleared up all the voices. It sounds incredible.

I loved let it be naked.... Although I though they did a whole load more to it than that and basically chucked away just about everything Phil Spector did. 

• Like 1

Question to the muso's...isn't it a bit weird that Paul was strumming away on a bass when coming up with Get Back? Once the germ of an idea came, wouldn't he just grab a guitar?

He's a frikking genius.

BTW - I know its not from that documentary, but I just love this...

..."something like this George...", he says casually before playing a perfect rendition of a beautiful song.

I imaging George was just sat there open mouth and agog!

• Upvote 1

Have to echo everything already said in here but one thing I really enjoyed that hasn't been mentioned yet was how great that moment was where Ringo and Stella were casually playing the drums together in what looked like matching outfits. 

The whole thing was fucking boss and thankfully my 7 and 5 year old kids watched loads of it with me and were singing along during the rooftop gig.

8 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Question to the muso's...isn't it a bit weird that Paul was strumming away on a bass when coming up with Get Back? Once the germ of an idea came, wouldn't he just grab a guitar?

He's a frikking genius.

BTW - I know its not from that documentary, but I just love this...

..."something like this George...", he says casually before playing a perfect rendition of a beautiful song.

I imaging George was just sat there open mouth and agog!

Get Back is built on that chugging sort of rhythm so just as easy* to write on the bass as a guitar I'd imagine. Kinda like Magic Bus by The Who.

*not that I'm suggesting it's easy to write a classic song

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Mook said:

Get Back is built on that chugging sort of rhythm so just as easy* to write on the bass as a guitar I'd imagine. Kinda like Magic Bus by The Who.

*not that I'm suggesting it's easy to write a classic song

As much as it’s come from Paul, for me where that song becomes the masterpiece it is when John and Billy put their ideas to it. Lennon’s lead work is extremely underrated (especially on this album/piece of work) 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

As much as it’s come from Paul, for me where that song becomes the masterpiece it is when John and Billy put their ideas to it. Lennon’s lead work is extremely underrated (especially on this album/piece of work) 

I'm biased but I think the song really went from good to great when Ringo started playing the basic beat on the snare instead of the hi hat.

Very ballsy for a drummer to do that & it really came off.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mook said:

I'm biased but I think the song really went from good to great when Ringo started playing the basic beat on the snare instead of the hi hat.

Very ballsy for a drummer to do that & it really came off.

I rudely forgot to add Ringo, I always do.

I probably take it for granted that he’s there.

He just takes everything they’ve got and puts his own unique stamp on it and does it all with apparent ease. He never looked like he was stuck for what he was required to do. 

Two Of Us is one my favourite tracks and he again makes that a better all round package with the simpleness of his beat. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Billy Preston’s playing right across that album is superb. It carried on with Abbey Road and (for me) his best performance on I Want You. Who knows what would have happened in the future had they stayed together.

8 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's funny, I've always liked George and kind of felt he was the coolest of the 4 of them, but I've gone off him a little bit through this as he's often just come across as a bit of a baby - although I guess in many ways he was. 

To be honest, that was the vibe I got too. He was going through a breakup with his Mrs at the time which probably contributed to his moods along with being frustrated creatively. You'll love the rooftop parts mate. They're funny as fuck at times too.