You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Just finished Episode 1.

George has walked. Martin is sitting next to Paul in the group discussion saying something like ‘I think a show at the Cavern would be great, but that’s the least of our worries right now’ to which Paul responds ‘right now the problem is breathing’ or there abouts, to which Martin just throws him a very concerned look.

Unbelievable this, what Jackson’s done. Phenomenal. I’m 11 years old again - that was my age in 1969. Even the opening shot of Liverpool in 1956 - my Dad’s prime, as a merchant seamen for PSNC on the Peru / Chile run, 2 yrs married to my Mum and living in Bramhall Road, Crosby. In 1964, the only way my Dad could get me down to the Barbers in Formby, for a short back and sides, was to buy me a Beatles EP. 

It’s cathartic. Happy to own up to massive bouts of crying. Still mourning the breakup all those years ago. I needed this w/o even knowing it. Here it is and here they are. The only question now, is what the fuck am I going to do when its over?

• Upvote 16

On 27/11/2021 at 12:17, Arniepie said:

That Tripoli thing would have been amazing.

George does come across as quite surly but the bits where they are all getting on are truly heartwarming (the theme from the 3rd man)

Lennon is quite quiet but wasnt he on the snack at this point?

Some moody late 60s/early 70s clobber on show.

Bang into the Pot Noodles at that stage.

1 hour ago, Total Longo said:

Yoko Ono's caterwauling doesn't get any easier does it? Thank God it's limited to about 3 minutes.

I don't really have any beef with Yoko but her screaming goes right fucking through you eh. One of the great travesties that Dirty Mac recorded two songs and one of them has her screeching all over it.

Also, I've been in that lovey dovey period with birds, where you want to spend every minute with them but when you're with your band writing, rehearsing or recording? No chance. She would be getting told to go shopping or something.

• Upvote 1

To be fair to her, she kept her mouth shut and let them work. Paul seems to be the only one that grasps the significance of the group. You can tell he's trying to get them organised but the dynamic of the group won't really allow him to assume control. The curse of the nice guy.

3 hours ago, Boss said:

Anyone who's ever had a proper clingy girlfriend will understand what Lennon's going through there. Yoko must've been able to suck a goofball through a length of hosepipe for him to put up with that. 

I'm only an hour into this. But honestly what Lennon is going through is of his own making. "I'm going to work love, see you later". Done. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Just finished Episode 1.

George has walked. Martin is sitting next to Paul in the group discussion saying something like ‘I think a show at the Cavern would be great, but that’s the least of our worries right now’ to which Paul responds ‘right now the problem is breathing’ or there abouts, to which Martin just throws him a very concerned look.

Unbelievable this, what Jackson’s done. Phenomenal. I’m 11 years old again - that was my age in 1969. Even the opening shot of Liverpool in 1956 - my Dad’s prime, as a merchant seamen for PSNC on the Peru / Chile run, 2 yrs married to my Mum and living in Bramhall Road, Crosby. In 1964, the only way my Dad could get me down to the Barbers in Formby, for a short back and sides, was to buy me a Beatles EP. 

It’s cathartic. Happy to own up to massive bouts of crying. Still mourning the breakup all those years ago. I needed this w/o even knowing it. Here it is and here they are. The only question now, is what the fuck am I going to do when its over?

Great post mate. I could watch the whole 80 hours. 

Billy Preston turning up and joining the Beatles is one of the nicest moments ever captured on TV.

"Sure. Beautiful.

"You're kidding?" 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

It's also brought some new life to that batch of songs. Maxwell's Silver Hammer was one I'd usually skip, but now I've seen them rehearse it so many times, I can picture Mal Evans whacking that anvil when I listen to it haha. 

I've been listening to that album almost non stop since I've been watching it.

I'd forgotten what a great song oh darling is.

9 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Just finished Episode 1.

Fab post to the fab four.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Arniepie said:

I've been listening to that album almost non stop since I've been watching it.

I'd forgotten what a great song oh darling is.

Phenomenal song that. Loved seeing him getting it together in the documentary but when you listen to his finished vocals on the album (especially the middle 8) it’s like he just went ‘follow that, bitches!’ to everyone.

I thought it was perfect. I was laughing out loud when Macca was on the roof singing about Loretta's ma being unhappy and getting them arrested, I had teared up earlier when he said "and then there were two." I always thought Ringo was a bit of a dick head, but he comes across here (probably like he really is), just a sweet, caring, nice guy. John was funny as fuck and it was great to see George and Ringo working together - a real bond like John and Paul had. The roof recording and how it was presented was fantastic too. It's Oscar worthy for sure and sets the bar as a music documentary that's unlikely to be topped. I loved, every single second of it.

• Upvote 2

I know it seems a ridiculous thing to say, but I was quite surprised by just how Scouse they all are in this. It’s not that they’ve not seemed Scouse subsequently, but I suppose watching this it struck me how they seem like four 20-somethings from Liverpool rather than four cultural icons.

• Upvote 2