You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hour and a half in to the 2nd episode, and it is showing for me that George was right.

You can visibly see the difference in enthusiasm when they are in the studio compared to trying to put together a big show in a shit soulless TV studio, and something not everyone was on board with. 

John looks focused, George looks like he’s buzzing again and Ringo is far funnier than I ever gave him credit for. 

I also like how Paul is over Yoko too. And how they buzz off the supposed bad press. 

It’s also telling how they keep referring back to needing someone like Mr Epstein. A big reminder a of how important he was in all of this to.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

I’ll be honest I didn’t really like Harrison, I actually think he’s overrated. He was a talented musician and a good songwriter but he’s not in the same stratosphere as Lennon and McCartney plus he was a miserable twat.

Get out!!

• Upvote 3

Second episode just as good (well it would be!).  Can only echo what Skids has said.  All of them having a laugh, nailing the songs (mostly).  That fag end of Twickenham was a difficult watch, looked like Paul was going to start crying at one point and John's comedown ramblings were 'interesting' - Peter Sellers looked very uncomfortable!

That Tripoli thing would have been amazing.

George does come across as quite surly but the bits where they are all getting on are truly heartwarming (the theme from the 3rd man)

Lennon is quite quiet but wasnt he on the snack at this point?

Some moody late 60s/early 70s clobber on show.

8 hours ago, Brownie said:

I’m halfway through the last episode and Macca is starting to grate on me a bit (as much as I absolutely love the man and always will). He must have been hard to work with at times. He’s so driven whereas the other lads just want to play.

It’s mad how he couldn’t get his head around what everyone else thought was happening. He’d own up and admit that is what the problem was, but he’d go back to type straight away.

As I alluded earlier on in the thread, O don’t think they haven’t got over the loss of Brian Epstein. And the huge hole he left in their lives and careers. I think Macca was trying to step in Epstein’s shoes in giving some order. He didn’t get it all right, but I thought he handled it pretty well. 

He’d be an absolute cunt to record with. How many takes did he do of Let It Be through the 7 odd hours? 132,456?

Just finished the last episode.  What the fuck happened at the end - did Jackson run out of time or something, the last day's recording is just glossed over with the credits.  Possibly, just wanting to end on a high of the rooftop gig and just have that last day as a coda?  Would have preferred the last day to get the same treatment as the other to be honest.

11 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Just finished the last episode.  What the fuck happened at the end - did Jackson run out of time or something, the last day's recording is just glossed over with the credits.  Possibly, just wanting to end on a high of the rooftop gig and just have that last day as a coda?  Would have preferred the last day to get the same treatment as the other to be honest.

I felt the same. The ending could have been a lot more emotional etc it just felt really abrupt to me. As a viewer, you’ve sat there and watched 8 hours so you expect that there will be some kind of payoff but it’s just BANG, finished.

Overall though, it was great.

13 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

1 minute ago, Brownie said:

I felt the same. The ending could have been a lot more emotional etc it just felt really abrupt to me.

I haven't had time to see the last part yet, but was any more footage actually shot post the rooftop gig?

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

I haven't had time to see the last part yet, but was any more footage actually shot post the rooftop gig?

They show them in the 'control room' listening back to the songs.  The next day they filmed all the acoustic/piano songs which couldn't be filmed on the roof.  So, another full days filming.  Odd that they glossed over it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Red_or_Dead said:

They show them in the 'control room' listening back to the songs.  The next day they filmed all the acoustic/piano songs which couldn't be filmed on the roof.  So, another full days filming.  Odd that they glossed over it.

Maybe they realised that Let It Be is a bag of shite. Right @Mook, @mgw100 ?

How boss is that rooftop gig with the backstory of those two plod. Fucking brilliant all that, and Paul’s face when they turn up on the roof is brilliant. And I loved George turning the amps back on. 

I think this film lays to rest a lot of the bollocks about how bad it was between them.

I also believe that if they had followed George’s idea of working with other people after Let It Be, then they would have lasted longer.

You only have to see/hear/feel the different vibe that Billy Preston gives them on that album to imagine what other layers artists/musicians could have brought to the table. 

Really enjoyed it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

How boss is that rooftop gig with the backstory of those two plod. Fucking brilliant all that, and Paul’s face when they turn up on the roof is brilliant. And I loved George turning the amps back on. 

I think this film lays to rest a lot of the bollocks about how bad it was between them.

I also believe that if they had followed George’s idea of working with other people after Let It Be, then they would have lasted longer.

You only have to see/hear/feel the different vibe that Billy Preston gives them on that album to imagine what other layers artists/musicians could have brought to the table. 

Really enjoyed it. 

Billy Preston was like me if I was at those sessions, he was just fucking loving it. It was great to see.

• Upvote 1

It’s the greatest thing I’ve ever watched on TV. I loved every second of it. Ringo farting, John introducing the Rolling Stones, Macca writing Get Back, George being a stroppy teenager, Maureen really getting into the groove of the songs, Big Mal being completely in love with them, all of it. Fucking life affirming. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6