You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

29 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

All cued up ready to watch as soon as my food is ready

Careful! Mook will be along in a moment to diss George!

I'm not sure I've ever disrespected George Harrison, I said his songwriting was hugely inferior to Lennon's & McCartney's. Which is true.

Here Comes The Sun is a great song though & I enjoyed the clip a lot.

Made up to see the birth of Golden Slumbers on this, just a wonderful song. The string arrangement on the second verse still cuts me up now, fuck knows how it would have sounded if it had made the Let It Be album and Phil Spector got his hands on it. Love this documentary, it manages to show the lads having the same problems as we all do when rehearsing/writing songs whilst still showing just how phenomenal they are. Roll on tomorrow.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I'm not sure I've ever disrespected George Harrison, I said his songwriting was hugely inferior to Lennon's & McCartney's. Which is true.

Here Comes The Sun is a great song though & I enjoyed the clip a lot.

You said All Things Must Pass wasn't a very good LP!  That's a pretty big diss in my eyes!

Takes from the first episode...

George - astoundingly surly and clearly doesn't want to be there. However chooses an odd moment to walk out, given the passive/aggressive discussions with Paul earlier on. 

Paul - the only one who appears to have any motivation to push things in any kind of direction. I feel for him.

John - Absolutely wasted throughout and his legendary acid tongue is nowhere to be seen. Seems content enough to go with the majority, completely at odds with the expected persona.

Ringo - A hell of a lot sharper than i have ever given him credit for.

The odd thing for me was the way the other three discussed Harrison leaving so matter of factly, almost uncaringly. "if he's not back in three days, we'll get Clapton in".

It did sag a bit in the middle, i nodded off and went back to watch the 20 minutes i'd missed, turns out i hadn't really missed that much.

Linda Eastman is a lot better looking than i recall, as is Maureen Starkey.

Mal Evans is the archetypal "big galoot"

16 takes (or at least that is what it seemed like) of Don't Let Me down is a bit much for even the most ardent Beatle-head.

The genesis of Get Back is quite brilliant.

It was brilliant to see them (George apart) having so much fun just jamming.

How good would it have been to see them play that amphitheatre in Tripoli?  

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Seems weird that George had several very good songs ready to go, but they were largely ignored. And then they spend a huge amount of time working through Maxwell's Silver Hammer. No wonder he fucked off! 

I totally agree with this. The version of "Isn't it a Pity" that played over the end credits was absolutely superb. Perosnally i can't stand Maxwell's Silver Hammer, it's the perfect example of McCartney being that talented that he felt he could do virtually any style of music. He clearly could, but i wish he hadn't. MSH and When i'm 64 are horrifically twee.    

Macca’s ridiculous natural talent is the biggest takeaway from this for me. I mean, his genius was never a secret, but the constant and effortless creativity on show here is mind-blowing. And I also just really like how nice a fella he is. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Paul said:

Macca’s ridiculous natural talent is the biggest takeaway from this for me. I mean, his genius was never a secret, but the constant and effortless creativity on show here is mind-blowing. And I also just really like how nice a fella he is. 

I've said it before probably, but the chances of three bonafide musical genius', and a hugely underated drummer, metting is miniscule, just think about what history teaches us it's beyond absurd that there wasn't a recognised 'genius' in a group that, without resoring to hyperbole, redefined music what music could be and shaped so much of what was to come.

One genius at the time, yeah, two, OK, three?

Then add in the fact that they were school friends from the same city, town ect and you're talking about billion to one possibilities that they would meet let alone get on and find a creative bond and purpose.

Genuinely astonishing that fate conspired to allow this whirlwind of creativity and change and in so little time.

I'm starting it once my daughter has watched some wierd mermaid shit Netflix and I already know I'll love it.

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I've said it before probably, but the chances of three bonafide musical genius', and a hugely underated drummer, metting is miniscule, just think about what history teaches us it's beyond absurd that there wasn't a recognised 'genius' in a group that, without resoring to hyperbole, redefined music what music could be and shaped so much of what was to come.

Then add in the fact that they were school friends from the same city, town ect and you're talking about billion to one possibilities that they would meet let alone get on and find a creative bond and purpose.

Genuinely astonishing that fate conspired to allow this whirlwind of creativity and change and in so little time.

I'm starting it once my daughter has watched some wierd mermaid shit Netflix and I already know I'll love it.

Not to start a row or anything but I would say there were two geniuses in The Beatles. George & Ringo were both great but 'genius' is a bit of a stretch.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

On that point about Ringo’s drumming - every doc I’ve seen about drumming includes legendary drummer after legendary drummer buzzing off Ringo’s playing. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Mook said:

Not to start a row or anything but I would say there were two geniuses in The Beatles. George & Ringo were both great but 'genius' is a bit of a stretch.

Yeah, maybe. 

But to have two plus a ‘too tier’ is still frankly astonishing.

I know you’ll throw in Bird, Chet etc and say they worked in groups of ‘genius’ but they were transitory and situational and in no way no he same as a few kids growing up next door to the arch other being the creative juggernaut the Beatles were.

Point taken though.

• Upvote 1