You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Article is too big to post but worth a read if you’re looking to waste half an hour in work. 

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/10/18/paul-mccartney-doesnt-really-want-to-stop-the-show

As a showman, McCartney likes to “please the average punter,” playing the hits and playing them precisely as recorded. But in the first few years after the breakup of the Beatles he avoided the songs he’d written with Lennon. You didn’t get “Day Tripper”; you got “Mary Had a Little Lamb.” You didn’t get “Ticket to Ride”; you got “Hi, Hi, Hi.” No matter. He sold tickets. He sold records. Mixed in with the music, however, were gestures of mockery––or, in Liverpudlian terms, taking the piss. Long before the hip-hop diss-track era, McCartney put out “Too Many People,” a song from the “Ram” album that scowled at Lennon: “You took your lucky break and broke it in two.” Not long afterward, Lennon lambasted McCartney on the “Imagine” album in a far more scathing song called “How Do You Sleep?” “The only thing you done was yesterday,” he sang at his old friend. “The sound you make is Muzak to my ears.” Lennon’s son Sean told me that his father eventually came to recognize that he was as upset with himself as he was with his friend. “Those were crabby moments, but people made too big a deal of it,” he added. “It didn’t reach the level of Tupac telling Biggie Smalls that he’d slept with his wife” in “Hit ’Em Up.”

This is brilliant. It sounds so clear. Macca's vocals on Let It Be (the song) sound like they were recorded yesterday. 

I'm not a bootleg collector so haven't really heard any of this. I know there's been some criticism by collectors saying loads of stuff has been left out, but it's all good to me.

This, the Abbey Road reissue and the White Album reissue have all been brilliant. 

Can't wait for Rubber Soul and Revolver which surely must be next up. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

You know what you are getting from the very opening of ‘Two of Us’ the difference is unreal. 

The sound quality is ridiculously good, particularly on tracks such as "Let It Be" itself (check out the maracas in the final verse).

It's a shame the album as a whole is a bit of a mixed bag. Two of Us, Across the Universe, For You Blue, Let it Be and Get Back are all superb. The rest is scaping just above average at best, by their ridiculously high standards anyway.  

I just hope we don't have to wait until 2026 for a Revolver Super Deluxe.