You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Its weird with The Beatles for me because although I've never been an aficionado of them,even though they were a legendary local band,I know most of their songs but not that many of the song names outside of their classic songs. When you grow up listening to their music in the background you just don't often appreciate their brilliance and become blase about their talent. Well,that's how I've felt they've often been portrayed locally.

Aye, the museum, statues, tours, themed pubs & re-named airport certainly give that impression.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

When you grow up listening to their music in the background you just don't often appreciate their brilliance and become blase about their talent. Well,that's how I've felt they've often been portrayed locally.

I've never considered myself a massive fan, but a few years ago I was at the in-laws in Dagenham at Christmas when someone started a music quiz going. There were a few Beatles rounds and I just battered the Southerners, because The Beatles really are just in the air that we breathe round here.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can’t wait!! Jackson once again excels - if any of you missed ‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ well, it’s a masterpiece that had me expressing every emotion possible when I saw it on the 100th Anniversary of the ending of WW1.

The remastering here looks like another level again.

2 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Can’t wait!! Jackson once again excels - if any of you missed ‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ well, it’s a masterpiece that had me expressing every emotion possible when I saw it on the 100th Anniversary of the ending of WW1.

The remastering here looks like another level again.

This. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Peter Jackson's Beatles Documentary Get Back Becoming A Six-Hour Series On Disney+ | TV Series | Empire (empireonline.com)

Peter Jackson's Beatles Documentary Get Back Becoming A Six-Hour Series On Disney+

We've had to wait longer than originally planned for Peter Jackson's next big restored-footage documentary project, in this case The Beatles: Get Back, about the Fab Four recording their final studio album Let It Be. Now we know we're going to have to be even more patient, as the film is evolving into a six-hour documentary miniseries that will launch on Disney+ in November.

The series – which had originally been planned as a stand-alone film doc, but has grown because of the sheer amount of footage and plans for more storylines – uses more than 60 hours of unseen footage shot in January 1969 (by Michael Lindsay-Hogg) and more than 150 hours of unheard audio, all of which has been painstakingly restored by Jackson's team to all its original glory. It chronicles John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr as they plan their first live show in over two years, capturing the writing and rehearsing of 14 new songs, originally intended for release on an accompanying live album. The documentary features – for the first time in its entirety – The Beatles’ last live performance as a group, the unforgettable rooftop concert on London’s Savile Row, as well as other songs and classic compositions featured on the band’s final two albums, Abbey Road and Let It Be.

"In many respects, Michael Lindsay-Hogg’s remarkable footage captured multiple storylines," says Jackson. "The story of friends and of individuals. It is the story of human frailties and of a divine partnership. It is a detailed account of the creative process, with the crafting of iconic songs under pressure, set amid the social climate of early 1969. But it’s not nostalgia – it’s raw, honest, and human. Over six hours, you’ll get to know The Beatles with an intimacy that you never thought possible.”

The Beatles: Get Back will now launch in three roughly two-hour chunks across 25, 26 and 27 November, which those across the pond will recognise as the Thanksgiving weekend. Happy Beatsgiving! Oh, and Jackson offered a quick first look at the documentary (when it was still designed as a movie) and you can find that here.

• Upvote 2

Can't say I'm very happy about this news, I can't get Disney through Virgin Media so have gone from being someone who would go to the pictures to see the film to having to watch the series on a fucking phone.

Fucking Disney.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Can't say I'm very happy about this news, I can't get Disney through Virgin Media so have gone from being someone who would go to the pictures to see the film to having to watch the series on a fucking phone.

Fucking Disney.

I’m happy with it, can watch it at home in 4K on my new telly and easier to digest in three episodes of two hours each rather than as a big five and a half hour film. 

Have you not got a fire stick or a smart TV? You can download the Disney app on either of them.