You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Watched Eight Days a Week tonight for the first time and thought it was absolutely brilliant. 10/10.

One thing I always like to mention about The Beatles (especially to really bored looking people in the pub) is how much of a great drummer Ringo is and this film backs me up, he's a joy to watch.

Repped and I'd happily sit in the pub with you all night talking about how much I love Ringo. The man is ridiculously underrated as a musician.

• Upvote 1

Repped and I'd happily sit in the pub with you all night talking about how much I love Ringo. The man is ridiculously underrated as a musician.

I agree he is a much better drummer than given credit for....Still a bit of a cunt thought especially for this offering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAi2gS9BpcQ&list=RDsAi2gS9BpcQ#t=101

Ringo was a great drummer. But he didn't do himself any favours with that Jonathon Ross interview.

After he played the opening of the 2008 stuff on st George's hall roof we all waited for him at the side of the building for ages. He finally came out and just legged it straight into his taxi. Not even a hello.

My favourite Beatles album is the white album.  I don't think it's the best, but it's the last one where they truly collaborated.  It could have been a better album had McCartney's belters from what became his first solo album made it on there.  The Beatles rehearsed them, but for some reason they weren't selected.   

• Upvote 2

My favourite Beatles album is the white album.  I don't think it's the best, but it's the last one where they truly collaborated.  It could have been a better album had McCartney's belters from what became his first solo album made it on there.  The Beatles rehearsed them, but for some reason they weren't selected.

That's my favourite as well.

• Upvote 1

Oh no.

Ha! - you're probably right.  Junk and Teddy Boy were definitely rehearsed by the fabs, but I don't think Every Night was ready for the white album. It's the same with George and All Things Must Pass. He sat down and went through it will the rest of the group, but this was close to the end and he decided to fuck the idea of putting it out as a Beatles track as he had a brill triple album to fill. 

Maybe I'm Amazed would have made a great Beatles track with John and George putting harmonies on it.  And it would have had a better guitar solo. 

• Upvote 2

While I've got my Beatles Nerd beanie on, there's a throwaway track on that McCartney album called Valentine Day.  In it, and I'm sure it was deliberate, McCartney repeats this descending run on lead guitar that was precisely what he was asking George to come up in the Let It Be film where George got a bit testy and said "I'll play what you want me to play, and I won't play at all if you don't want to to play.  Whatever pleases you, I'll do it".

• Upvote 2

Ha! - you're probably right.  Junk and Teddy Boy were definitely rehearsed by the fabs, but I don't think Every Night was ready for the white album. It's the same with George and All Things Must Pass. He sat down and went through it will the rest of the group, but this was close to the end and he decided to fuck the idea of putting it out as a Beatles track as he had a brill triple album to fill. 

Maybe I'm Amazed would have made a great Beatles track with John and George putting harmonies on it.  And it would have had a better guitar solo. 

Don't the demos appear on Anthology?

Watched Eight Days a Week tonight for the first time and thought it was absolutely brilliant. 10/10.

One thing I always like to mention about The Beatles (especially to really bored looking people in the pub) is how much of a great drummer Ringo is and this film backs me up, he's a joy to watch.

An absolute tour de force.

• Upvote 3

Ringo was a great drummer. But he didn't do himself any favours with that Jonathon Ross interview.

After he played the opening of the 2008 stuff on st George's hall roof we all waited for him at the side of the building for ages. He finally came out and just legged it straight into his taxi. Not even a hello.

I've heard from a few people that McCartney is the exact opposite - always good for a few minutes chat and a bit of a laugh.

I've heard from a few people that McCartney is the exact opposite - always good for a few minutes chat and a bit of a laugh.

Saw his interview on youtube before he headlined isle of Wight festival. With ferne cotton. He is a funny bastard. I was at the featival but saw it afterwards. He was boss that night as well apart from waving a big union jack at the end.

While I've got my Beatles Nerd beanie on, there's a throwaway track on that McCartney album called Valentine Day.  In it, and I'm sure it was deliberate, McCartney repeats this descending run on lead guitar that was precisely what he was asking George to come up in the Let It Be film where George got a bit testy and said "I'll play what you want me to play, and I won't play at all if you don't want to to play.  Whatever pleases you, I'll do it".

Good knowledge that mate cheers. Always found that bit in twickenham when they are in that big cold room fascinating. Especially the dynamic and when Yoko turns up.

• Upvote 1

I put that on Twitter - and some killjoy bugger pointed out the date that it appeared online and that the letter is signed by someone called O'Follipar, which is an anagram of...

This is a fascinating page on the NY Times website.  Essentially it's about the contributions George Martin made to each Beatles song, but it's equally fascinating to see which Beatles didn't appear on some of the later tracks.  And I'd forgotten Mick Jagger had sung BVs...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/03/15/arts/music/george-martin-fifth-beatle.html

• Upvote 2

I've got The Complete Beatles Recordings by Mark Lewisohn, which documents every recording session The Beatles did, including listing of personnel.

I love it.  The detail is brilliant and fascinating.

• Upvote 1

This is a fascinating page on the NY Times website.  Essentially it's about the contributions George Martin made to each Beatles song, but it's equally fascinating to see which Beatles didn't appear on some of the later tracks.  And I'd forgotten Mick Jagger had sung BVs...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/03/15/arts/music/george-martin-fifth-beatle.html

My favourite George Martin quote was after he heard Phil Spectors Arrangement of The Long and Winding Road on the Let It Be album.. 

He said the Album should have had " Produced by George Martin- Overproduced by Phil Spector"

• Upvote 1

I've got The Complete Beatles Recordings by Mark Lewisohn, which documents every recording session The Beatles did, including listing of personnel.

I love it.  The detail is brilliant and fascinating.

I'll need to have a look for that.

Revolution in the Head is another great Beatles book.

288550.jpg