You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tom Hanks: greatest movie star of his generation?

Kopite

Tom Hanks: the greatest movie actor of his generation?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Tom Hanks: the greatest movie actor of his generation?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted yes.

He's played some fantastic characters and usually they are stand out performances.

Off the top of my head:

'Big'

'Philadelphia'

'Road To Perdition'

'Green Mile'

'Castaway'

'Saving Private Ryan'

'Forest Gump'

'Apollo 13'

'Catch Me If You Can'

I think he's class. There are some great actors around (I particularly love Denzel and Pacino) but I wouldn't argue that Hanks is the greatest movie star ofhis generation.

I voted yes.

He's played some fantastic characters and usually they are stand out performances.

Off the top of my head:

'Big'

'Philadelphia'

'Road To Perdition'

'Green Mile'

'Castaway'

'Saving Private Ryan'

'Forest Gump'

'Apollo 13'

'Catch Me If You Can'

I think he's class. There are some great actors around (I particularly love Denzel and Pacino) but I wouldn't argue that Hanks is the greatest movie star ofhis generation.

Bit of a tangent here, but has there ever been a film so completely ruined by it's soundtrack as much as Road to Perdition. It's a pretty good film, Hanks is good against type, Craig is good, it's got Paul Newman in it, (Jude Law is pretty rubbish though) decent tale, but every fucking scene has an overpowering dramatic score on it. It's like "Here is a momentous scene, very loud swelling classical music!". Every goddamn scene. Really put me off. Was it just me?

Glory

Training Day

The Hurricane

Malcolm X

Glory

Remember the Titans

Man on Fire

Crimson Tide

Cry Freedom

Heart Condition :thumbup:

Denzel all the way, by far the greatest actor of his generation, Hanks and Cruise have made some iconic movies but are not nearly the same actors as Denzel. The nearest in terms of acting ability, would indeed be Depp, who is also ace

Do yourself a favour and lose the 'star' part and change it to 'actor' and then we might get somewhere with credibility.

No doubt Hanks is a 'star' of his generation but what does that mean? A market?

Sean Penn is definitely a better actor, KEVIN SPACEY is definitely a better actor, Tom Cruise is, Johnny Depp, yes.. (Does this have to span the whole 20 years or so by the way?)

I highly rate Ed Norton, Brad Pitt and a fair few others, who I think will win Oscars in the future (For those of you thinking it...I know!) But they havent done enough for long enough yet.

I'd say Penn or Spacey...maybe.

Let me think.

Pretty pointless debate though isn't it? I'm more interested in single performances in films. What's so great aboot being versamatile? I could never stop watching Samuel Jackson and Joe Pesci in their typecast roles. Only girls want to watch the same actor in every film.

Pretty pointless debate though isn't it? I'm more interested in single performances in films. What's so great aboot being versamatile? I could never stop watching Samuel Jackson and Joe Pesci in their typecast roles. Only girls want to watch the same actor in every film.

I guess that goes to show how good an actor someone is? If they can play different roles and make them believable. Rather than just playing a slightly tweaked version of their own character. Which wouldn't really be acting.

I take your point though that most of the time the best way to cast films is to get people who can act that part, rather than a star and shoe-horn them into it.

As has been said greatest star and actor are two different things so I will give an answer for both.

Greatest star: Tom Cruise ( he is also very underrated as an actor - Born on the fourth of July, Magnolia, Collateral etc)

Greatest actor (when he actually does some acting) Daniel-Day Lewis.

• 1 year later...

Was just on Friday Night with Ross, seemed like a class guy, quite down to earth by the seems of that interview. Have seen most of his films and loved them all. It's the first interview I've actually watched of him and he came across really well.

Dragnet is ace

Amen brother.

Persoanlly i'm not that arsed about 'acting ability'. I go & watch a film to enjoy it not to deconstruct every fucking aspect of it.

As far as i;m concerned, I think Hanks is a brillaint actor. I thought he was amazing in Forrest Gump and philadelphia but equally as good in totally different roles such as the burbs, big, money pit & dragnet.

From all the films i've ever seen i don't think i've come across an actor who has played as many different styles and done as well as Hanks.

Denzel followed closely by Hanks, for me.

I agree that there are possible 'better' actor of recent years but I watch Pacino and Nicholson movies and I don't enjoy them as much. So in a way its the emotions they generates, whether happy or sad, which is important.

i actually used about 10min of my life to make this picture, so im some sort of a action freak when it comes to movies, so i really don't care about the touching sentimental scenes

coolactionheroes.jpg

These are all better then TH (6) (joke)

Hanks? No. 2 Oscars - each for playing 'afflicted' people. One with AIDS and one who was mentally challenged. Philadelphia is widely derided by gay men for its sensational treatment of the subject - AND he eats Chinese food out of those wax containers at his desk after hours. This is a minus 75 on the Tocky Mo Cliche-o-meter. True movie stars are rare, Pacino, De Niro, Duvall, Eastwood, Ed Harris, Ed Norton, Depp, Later Bruce Willis, Damon, Neeson but not Gibson in any way or form.