You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goodbye Momo

Malarkey

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about buying technically gifted players with pace? why does it have to be one without the other i.e. cisse or morientes

Rafa didn't buy Djibs though.

And how many pacy, technically gifted players are there about? Not a dig; an honest question.

In the end, just hasn't been good enough, despite showing glimpses of talent.

Since Javier came in we have seen the gulf in dicipline, I have always referred to Javier as a more mature Sissoko, Javier can read the game better, play the ball better and is essentially an all round better player than Momo.

I think he will do outstanding in Serie A and I hope nothing more than Success for him there.

Rafa didn't buy Djibs though.

And how many pacy' date=' technically gifted players are there about? Not a dig; an honest question.[/quote']

there are a few but none of them are cheap.

I always one why rafa doesn't buy the fastest most technically gifted fullbacks he can lay his hands on, they wont cost as most as wingers and the will compliment the our wide midfielders that like to come inside (about all of them).

back to momo, I think by and large we all as liverpool fans have forgotten just how good momo was before his eye injury, I hope he recovers his former level and is a big success in italy.

In the end, just hasn't been good enough, despite showing glimpses of talent.

Since Javier came in we have seen the gulf in dicipline, I have always referred to Javier as a more mature Sissoko, Javier can read the game better, play the ball better and is essentially an all round better player than Momo.

I think he will do outstanding in Serie A and I hope nothing more than Success for him there.

different players, masherano is a sheild in front of the defenders and momo was a wreaking ball that moved all over the pitch, imho masherano isn't as good as some people make out and momo isn't as bad as some people make out.

different players, masherano is a sheild in front of the midfielders and momo was a wreaking ball that moved all over the pitch, imho masherano isn't as good as some people make out and momo isn't as bad as some people make out.

Mascherano is the best in the world in his position. As for saying Javier sits have you seen him play he's everywhere.

Mascherano is the best in the world in his position. As for saying Javier sits have you seen him play he's everywhere.

masherano is a fantastic player but his passing is erratic and offers little going forwards, 'oh, but that's not his job', maybe so but there you are.

I personally wouldn't play masherano for home games unless is against a top team.

masherano is a fantastic player but his passing is erratic and offers little going forwards, 'oh, but that's not his job', maybe so but there you are.

I personally wouldn't play masherano for home games unless is against a top team.

I didnt say anything about tactics I was merely defending him against the accusation he just sits when he doesnt thats all. I agree against the small sides there is a case for leaving him out.

Momo just wasn't disiplined enough, he would lose the ball in stupid positions, his passing was often wayward and erratic, imagine Hamman, with less composure and worse passing and you have Momo. Thats not to say he was never a good player, he clearly was but for a good 6-12 months he just hasn't been up to scratch you could never fault him for effort, he was as you say allover the joint, forward, backward, sideways and he wasn't a bad tackler but as mentioned he just has been either poor or at best average within the past 12 months, Lucas is looking a much better player than him at the moment and if we can get £10 Million for Momo I'd snap their hands of.

Javier is the better play IMO , his tackling is excellent, his passing isn't bad either the only thing he lacks is the driving force like Gerrard, but who has a driving force like Gerrard?

Juventus shareholder John Elkann is confident that the Old Lady will complete the signing of Liverpool midfielder Mohamed Sissoko.

The Cadetti champions are looking to replace disappointing summer arrivals Tiago Mendes and Sergio Almiron and Sissoko seems to have his heart set on relocating to Turin.

“We will strengthen,” Elkann insisted. “Juve are having a good championship and are aiming at securing a place in Europe next term.

“If we are to compete on that stage we will need to reinforce the squad, but it is difficult to say who we will bring in with any certainty.

“Sissoko certainly could be the first element. But we tend towards the school of thought that you should never assume anything when it comes to buying and selling.”

It is believed that Juve will pay around £7m for the Mali international who was set for a switch to the Stadio Olimpico last summer but a £10m price tag derailed the deal.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/footba...ia/jan10n.html

I still love Momo. I think given a consistent run of games he would gain his form back. Unfortunatley, we're not in any real position to afford him the run of games he craves, given our own form as a team.

I'll miss you Big Mo. If and when you leave.

Don't wish him ill but IMO he is the one player I most wanted to see leave this window and if it happens (will not believe it till all is signed and sealed) I will be delighted as he is basically pretty poor and we will be getting decent money for him (more than he's worth IMO - for a change for players we sell)

Have no wish to fall out with those of you saying he will be great for Juve or he really was almost as good as Masch but really I think that is rubbish - I am not really expecting him to be much good for Juve and there is no comparison between him and Masch but nevertheless - good luck Momo!!

This deal makes me believe in Rafa even more as it shows he can assess who is not up to it and has no sentiment and is ready to get rid in such cases - further examples are Josemi, Nunez, Pellegrino, Gonzalez, Kromkamp, and even Garcia and Bellamy to an extent all of whom he signed (altho i think if the latter 2 had wanted to stay he would have been happy to keep them) and then people like Smicer, Biscan, Hamann, Dudek, Pongolle, Le Tellec, Kirkland, Diao!! and Troare who he inherited but let go after looking at them.

I am sure there are more examples than the opnes listed here but they were the ones I could think of off the top of my head and there are none which have proved mistakes really - apart from maybe Hamann on this seasons form altho with his injury record you could not blame us for selling when we did.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Liverpool | Sissoko on verge of joining Juve

Sissoko on verge of joining Juve

Sissoko was a key player last term but has now fallen out of favour

Liverpool midfielder Mohamed Sissoko has revealed he is close to securing a move to Italian giants Juventus.

The Malian has fallen out of favour at Anfield and his reported £10m departure could enable the Reds to secure the permanent signing of Javier Mascherano.

"I'm still at Liverpool but I expect a big announcement in the next few days," Sissoko told Radio Montecarlo.

"My agent, Juve and Liverpool are working on my departure and my move to Turin is very close."

It is thought Sissoko may initially leave the club on a loan deal, with Juve being given the option to buy him at the end of the season.

It looks a decent profit for someone who hasn't built on his early potential

But the 22-year-old admits he is keen to leave Anfield before the end of the month after starting just six league matches this season.

"I'm expecting good news any moment now, but I'm enthusiastic about beginning a new adventure in Italy with the Bianconeri," he said.

Mascherano's 18-month loan spell at Liverpool is due to end in the summer, but manager Rafael Benitez is confident of negotiating a permanent deal with Media Sports Investments, the consortium which "owns" Mascherano.

As long as the money goes to getting Mascherano then I am not arsed. His flaws were shown up even more one Masch arrived. Good first season or so but his passing got worse as time went on.

I dont trust the owners to give the money to Benitez though - or its been spent on that defender.

It will be very sad to see him leave. One of the best players over the past two years. He is still young and he wants a different challenge and I can accept that. I think he will do well in Seria A. Players have a lot more time on the ball, something Momo needs. Wherever he goes, I will be watching on fondly.

Sacchi Slams Juventus Sissoko Signing

Former Milan great Arrigo Sacchi has slammed Juventus’ imminent signing of Liverpool midfielder Momo Sissoko, saying that the player has no quality.

The Bianconeri are well known to be in the market for a centre midfielder and they are just days, if not hours away from signing the Malian international.

A fee of between €13-15m is believed to have been agreed between Liverpool and Juventus, but Sacchi does not rate the ability of the ex-Valencia player.

“I know Sissoko well and I watched him a lot in Spain,” said the ex-Milan legend Sacchi, who spent time in La Liga as Coach of Atletico Madrid and as director of football of Real Madrid.

“Sissoko is a plughole, he stops the play, but he cannot play football and has no quality.”

Juventus boss Claudio Ranieri is a huge admirer of Sissoko, from his days as boss of Valencia.

The 22-year-old should become the Tinkerman’s first signing of this month’s transfer window, although the move has not gone down well with a lot of Juventus supporters.

Goal.com - Juventus - Sacchi Slams Juventus Sissoko Signing

Latest:

Sissoko free to leave Liverpool

Sissoko was a key player last term but has now fallen out of favour

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has said that midfielder Mohamed Sissoko can leave Anfield if the "right club and the right offer", comes in.

The 22-year-old Mali international has been out of favour this season and said on Friday that he was close to a move to Juventus.

But Benitez said that interest has not been limited to the Italian club.

"We know we have two or three clubs asking about him and we'll try to find the best solution," said Benitez.

"It depends on if we find the right club and the right offer. We need to wait," he told the Liverpool website.

The Malian has played just six games for Liverpool this season and his reported £10m departure could enable the Reds to secure the permanent signing of Javier Mascherano.

On Friday Sissoko told Radio Montecarlo: "I'm still at Liverpool but I expect a big announcement in the next few days.

"My agent, Juve and Liverpool are working on my departure and my move to Turin is very close.

"I'm expecting good news any moment now, but I'm enthusiastic about beginning a new adventure in Italy." he said.

Sissoko signed a new four-year contract with Liverpool in the summer having moved to Anfield from Valencia for £5.6m in July 2005.