You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it possible to win the league on our budget?

Paul

Is it possible for us to win the league on usual transfer budget?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Is it possible for us to win the league on usual transfer budget?

• Of course it is: Wenger, genius, young gems, blah, blah, blah...
    • Yes, but it's highly unlikely when The Mancs and Chelsea have mega-bucks.
    • Yes, but it would take the other top sides to all stumble at once.
    • No. It's as good as impossible.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember Wenger blowing £15m on Theo Walcott about £23m on Reyes and £7m on Adebayor and Rosicky each

Reyes was £9M rising to £17 depending on success but I remember reading that he cost £12M in the end. Walcott was £12M depending on success and Adebayour £7M.

Rash you use Barca as an example yet you know that because of big spending over several years they always have a squad brimming with quality. This means that when they need to they can spend in the big to medium market without worrying about the squad as it is already high quality throughout. They also have an attractiveness to players that means if top stars become available at reasonable prices they are at the front of the queue e.g. Deco.

wenger spent plenty of money while they were still winning things. and even wasted a fair bit. wiltord for 13 million in 2000, left on a free in 2004. jeffers for 8 million in 2001, left for 2.6 million. 6 million for wright. 8.5 million for van bronkhurst. suker, wreh, pennant, luznhy, diawarra, grimandi were all duds.

i agree with much of Cardie's post in this thread. and would add that what wenger has been given more than anything with his current crop is time. and unlike benitez inherited a squad full of premiership (or div 1, as it was then) winners. in fact rafa was one of the few liverpool employees with any experience of winning any league at all, he also lost one of the two match winners we had at that time in owen, with much of houllier's spine henchoz, hyppia, hamman aging, and dudek in crisis. he also had a huge amount of deadwood that was either difficult to shift or had to be sold for a huge loss.

wenger spent plenty of money while they were still winning things. and even wasted a fair bit. wiltord for 13 million in 2000, left on a free in 2004. jeffers for 8 million in 2001, left for 2.6 million. 6 million for wright. 8.5 million for van bronkhurst. suker, wreh, pennant, luznhy, diawarra, grimandi were all duds.

Stop picking and choosing, you view his transfer record as a whole. Picking up the likes of Van Persie for 2.5 million, Toure and Fabregas for next to nothing more than counters what you just put up. And on top of all that they are playing the football that we used to play.

They've got some snidey bastards playing with em, but give some credit where its due.

Think you need Time (Fergie), Money (Maureen) Genius (Wenger) or a combination of all three and in all cases you also need a touch of luck.

Its possible for us but if you look at the european leagues and the polarisation at the top and bottom in order to break into that group you going to need something extraordinary, some advanatge over your rivals

we have some money, rafa is a proven manager that suggest whats lacking is time.

with regard building a squad Everton are a prime example of slowly year on year improving their squad

I think on the 20-25 million a year your talking about then it can be done.

For me the biggest difference between us and United/Chelsea in the transfer market is the margin of error. If we make a bad signing it costs us and we pay for it where as if united/chelsea do they just put him on the bench/reserves and go and buy somebody else.

There are numerous examples of bad signings by united and chelsea.

To sum up I think yes you can win the league on an average 20-25 million net spend but we have to get the right players. Other than torres our 2 best outfield players didnt cost a penny. If only we had got ronaldo for 9 million instead of them manc twats. Put him in our team and bet we wouldnt we far off at all.

Stop picking and choosing, you view his transfer record as a whole. Picking up the likes of Van Persie for 2.5 million, Toure and Fabregas for next to nothing more than counters what you just put up. And on top of all that they are playing the football that we used to play.

nothing to do with picking and choosing, i'm just redressing the balance. while his transfer record is very good on the whole, he has also spent big money at times, and not always successfully. there have also been plenty of cheap turkeys.

wenger's a very good manager, but he's no more of a genius than any of the other top men. his record in europe is comparatively poor. and his initial success was built with much of the body of george graham's neglected championship winning side still in place. and while he's now built another good team without spending much money, it's three seasons and counting since he won anything. at the time benitez took over at liverpool arsenal had just gone unbeaten in the league, so i'd say to outperform them in that period is a pretty good achievement in itself.

i don't think these comparisons are helpful anyway. as rafa has been working in completely different circumstances and with different resources. what i would say is that rafa's attempt to build a young, talented spine for liverpool has been pretty successful: reina, agger, mascherano, alonso and torres compares favourably with any business done in the league over the last few seasons.

i agree with those who argue that we need to improve in the attacking third. so either we regularly give him serious money to compete for the likes of drogba, rooney, robben etc. or a little time in which to develop the likes of babel, nemeth, pacheco etc.

Are they the best players in the world though Paul or are they just paying over the odds?

Much is made of the fact that Fergusson paid 18m for Carrick and Hargreaves but they're not 18m quality, so in a sense that's a moot point. A good scouting network could find you two players of superior quality for far less.

Same goes for Chelsea, spending 30m on Shevchenco and Ballack (wages) when they're at the arse-end of their careers shouldn't make any challenge they've built unasailable.

How many 10-20m Chelsea players are sat in the reserves or have been packed off? If you look at the Mancs' the player that makes the biggest difference between them and us is Ronaldo - he cost them what, 7-8m?

It's not the money that counts IMO it's the quality, Nani, Anderson (as of yet) Hargreaves, Carrick aren't big-money quality so the money spent shouldn't matter to us, while most of Chelsea's big buys have gone down the toilet.

Besides, how often have we been outbid by the Mancs or Chavs for a player we desperately wanted or needed? Vidic was a case of us being slow off the mark and that Chav French winger is shite anyway.

To be honest... You can go ahead and say that Nani isn't yet showing big money quality yet but I'd take him for our wing right now.

We have major deficiancies... the big difference is that those clubs really don't have major weaknesses. We can't sustain wide pressure due to a lack of quality. We need big money to get that quality and we don't have it. Period.

nothing to do with picking and choosing, i'm just redressing the balance. while his transfer record is very good on the whole, he has also spent big money at times, and not always successfully. there have also been plenty of cheap turkeys.

wenger's a very good manager, but he's no more of a genius than any of the other top men. his record in europe is comparatively poor. and his initial success was built with much of the body of george graham's neglected championship winning side still in place. and while he's now built another good team without spending much money, it's three seasons and counting since he won anything. at the time benitez took over at liverpool arsenal had just gone unbeaten in the league, so i'd say to outperform them in that period is a pretty good achievement in itself.

i don't think these comparisons are helpful anyway. as rafa has been working in completely different circumstances and with different resources. what i would say is that rafa's attempt to build a young, talented spine for liverpool has been pretty successful: reina, agger, mascherano, alonso and torres compares favourably with any business done in the league over the last few seasons.

i agree with those who argue that we need to improve in the attacking third. so either we regularly give him serious money to compete for the likes of drogba, rooney, robben etc. or a little time in which to develop the likes of babel, nemeth, pacheco etc.

Damn fine post that.

Wenger has also had the advantage of time to build. He earned that right by winning the league early but that was at a time when the bar for winning it was a lot lower than it is today.

Guest Romano Polizia

I think so, yes. We have enough quality in the squad to be beat most teams. It all comes down to mentality and attitude. Far too often Rafa is content to draw games and that breeds weakness and inconsistancy.

If we could take our European mentality into the league we'd be right up there.

Wenger has also had the advantage of time to build. He earned that right by winning the league early but that was at a time when the bar for winning it was a lot lower than it is today.

I think the CL win earned the right for Benitez to have time to build. I disagree with your other remark though. The league is no harder to win than it was when Wenger first won it.

Arsenal players are having due to their system of play. Our system is a mess, constantly changing :no I wish the americans would just fuck off and sell the club to someone that can provide with a much better budget (if rafa fails to deliver, rafa supporters that think that we are not winning the league due to the lack of fund will shut up).

Don't agree there aws, the Mancs for example had a far, far better side in the late 90s than they do now. So did Arsenal IMO.

I personally believe the squad hasn't been utilised correctly by Rafa in my opinion since the season began. Be it down to formation, system(S) and team selection Rafa has to take alot of the flak regarding this.

We have one hell of a core of a squad in

Reina

Finnan Agger Carra ???

Gerrard Javier Xabi ???

Torres ???

Fill in the blanks yourself based on form and recent performances, play a set system which the players understand, I know it isn't that simple, but personally the varied Systems, the varied formations and varied team selections have not helped us in the league, and Rafa is at fault for that.

I personally believe the squad hasn't been utilised correctly by Rafa in my opinion since the season began. Be it down to formation, system(S) and team selection Rafa has to take alot of the flak regarding this.

We have one hell of a core of a squad in

Reina

Finnan Agger Carra ???

Gerrard Javier Xabi ???

Torres ???

Fill in the blanks yourself based on form and recent performances, play a set system which the players understand, I know it isn't that simple, but personally the varied Systems, the varied formations and varied team selections have not helped us in the league, and Rafa is at fault for that.

this would be my take on it