You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mid Season Review

Rashid

How have we done this season, all things considered?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. How have we done this season, all things considered?

• Rafa should get a contract for life after this!
    • We have exceeded expectations
    • As expected (Nothing more, nothing less)
    • We have under-achieved for whatever reason
    • I didn't expect this, I'm pissed off.

I voted for 'as expected' because this is around where my pessimistic self would have predicted us to be before the season.

However, my vote was nearly for underachieving because before the Reading game I had an unusual burst of optimism and was looking at the table thinking if we beat them, beat manure and win our game in hand we are right in the mix. We know how that went...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly underachieved due to rotation and defensive tactics. I said at the beginning of the season that the biggest obstacle to us winning the league was Rafa's mindset.

The season so far has proved that.

That's my take on it too.

From that post, I take it you think we'll finish strongly due to rotation?

What's the point in rotating with the intention of finishing strongly, if you're too far behind for it to make a difference?

That's been the problem in previous seasons, when the squad was nowhere near strong enough. This season, we have more options - especially in central midfield and (theoretically) up front - and for all our rotation we made it into the bleak midwinter still unbeaten.

I would rather a manager who won us trophies than 'competed' in the League.

Rafa has won the Champions League, FA Cup and narrowly missed out the CL again last year.

Rafa is right in the respect that with the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea you almost have to have a faultless season to win the premiership, lets see how Arsenal end up. Until we have a new stadium and the capacity to increase our overall capital budget a top 4 position and a Champions League position is the most we can realistically wish for anything else is a bonus.

You have to remember where we were when Rafa started, i.e A position in the Champions League was not guranteed and the below squad.

DUDEK, Jerzy

KEWELL, Harry

KIRKLAND, Chris

GERRARD, Steven

LUZI, Patrice

SMICER, Vladimir

HENCHOZ, Stephane

DIAO, Salif

FINNAN, Steve

HAMANN, Dietmar

HYYPIA, Sami

PARTRIDGE, Richie

RIISE, John Arne

WELSH, John

POTTER, Darren

TRAORE, Djimi

WARNOCK, Stephen

CARRAGHER, Jamie

DIOUF, El Hadji

BISCAN, Igor

BAROS, Milan

OTSEMOBOR, Jon

CISSE, Djibril

SINAMA-PONGELLE, Florent

MELLOR, Neil

Who was Newcastle manager this time last season? They're actually doing a lot better this time round, despite the pressure on the fat man.

I didn't realise how much better we're doing compared to last season. OK we're not third, but our points position is significantly better as has been pointed out.

I never thought the money given in the summer was enough to overcome the shortcomings in the squad as a whole. Rafa was able to buy one player of undoubted ability and the rest were the usual stop-gaps and possible talent which is all he could do with the money available.

That's been the problem in previous seasons, when the squad was nowhere near strong enough. This season, we have more options - especially in central midfield and (theoretically) up front - and for all our rotation we made it into the bleak midwinter still unbeaten.

We're miles behind now!

I never thought the money given in the summer was enough to overcome the shortcomings in the squad as a whole. Rafa was able to buy one player of undoubted ability and the rest were the usual stop-gaps and possible talent which is all he could do with the money available.

To be fair Jules, Rafa did spend £17M on Babel and Lucas. I'm not saying that they aren't players of great potential, but if Rafa knew he wasn't going to have massive resources then it's surprising that he didn't use that money for another player of undoubted ability.

It wouldn't have affected the squad much either because they have hardly started many games this season.

To be fair Jules, Rafa did spend £17M on Babel and Lucas. I'm not saying that they aren't players of great potential, but if Rafa knew he wasn't going to have massive resources then it's surprising that he didn't use that money for another player of undoubted ability.

It wouldn't have affected the squad much either because they have hardly started many games this season.

But we sold around 6 players last summer so the gap in the squad had to be filled back up. The money spent was neccesarily the equivalent to the money recouped. I hate sound all Rashid but the net spend was nearly enough to push us higher up the table.

My mid season review:

Carling Cup - not bothered

FA Cup - bring it on

CL - expected to qualify for knockout stages before season started, so as expected. However, the three wins on the spin raised morale after a poor start.

League - slightly below expectations. I think we are 12 points behind with one game in hand (should be 9 points, but can't count chickens). I expected us to be in the mix for the title, and by that, I mean within 6 points or so as the season unfolds.

The main frustration this season has been matters OFF the pitch.

As expected. A solid team, a solid squad, a good manager who rotates just about as much as every other top teams and managers, but have used his key players more than usuall this season. We have build on previous seasons and are getting closer in my opinion, but these things take time. Rafa has done well on his budget and has started the next step, which is buying quality (Torres) when he can. By the looks of it we're ahead compared to last season (points). So, as expected so far, which in my books is better than last season.

I have to say though that I would like to make the final call on our progress when the season is over, and I think you should too.

But we sold around 6 players last summer so the gap in the squad had to be filled back up. The money spent was neccesarily the equivalent to the money recouped. I hate sound all Rashid but the net spend was nearly enough to push us higher up the table.

Did it? That £17M worth of players has hardly started a game and neither were even on the bench in midweek.

The squad doesn't need to be as big as it is IMO. That's become clear to me.

I despair at the fact you had to set up another poll Rash to suit your agenda and constantly repeat what you think.

It is becoming very tiresome and tedious.

I have voted, just to so you can accuse me of being a liar or a realist. But before you do, I will tell you what I am. I am a realist not a liar.

I voted 'As expected', as sitting in 4th place, with a game in hand, 12 points behind, is still leaving us with the possibility of a good challenge. As long as we are not out of it in March then i will be happy with that. I still wont be calling for Rafa's head though.

I wouldn't bring this thread up again mate. Your just opening a big fuck off hole for you to get lashed down with the amount hypocrisy's, and repetitive drivel you have posted in the past.

Did it? That £17M worth of players has hardly started a game and neither were even on the bench in midweek.

Possibly you're right but Lucas will defintely play more as the next few seasons go on. I don't think Alonso's future is secure and I think Mascherano won't be signed and Sissoko will be sold. Lucas and Babel are two types of player that you sign when they're first available because in a few years time there's a big chance they'll be worth a hell of a lot more. You should be able to add young lads like that whilst bringing esbalished players of quality alongside of them. I believe Rafa had to choose and he chose long term with those two. Given the behind the scenes wrangling perhaps he should have just bought quality for the first eleven but Rafa's always tried to build long term along with the first eleven.

I don't think it is that big really. Its covered for a majority of positions but some do still need to sorting out where the cover aren't playing as much as they are. LB being an example of one at the moment.

You need to give players a season to adjust to the lifestyle, style of play, and they need to be nurtured right. And to be fair not one of those players has come out saying they are not happy, they have the right attitude to be a success at the club.

We could still have La Twat and Pongolle spouting off how they are not in the team every week.

I don't think it is that big really. Its covered for a majority of positions but some do still need to sorting out where the cover aren't playing as much as they are. LB being an example of one at the moment.

You need to give players a season to adjust to the lifestyle, style of play, and they need to be nurtured right. And to be fair not one of those players has come out saying they are not happy, they have the right attitude to be a success at the club.

We could still have La Twat and Pongolle spouting off how they are not in the team every week.

Of course there are positions where we can strengthen etc but in general I think the squad is slightly bigger than it needs to be. We don't need five central midfielders, we can lose one of the strikers to accomodate Bable up there possibly, although as I said Rafa didn't HAVE to sign him.

I can understand what you're saying Julian, and I agree that you have to look to the future as well. But when you're in a situation where you need to be progressing in the league and challenging the leaders, then it may be more pertinent to concentrate on quality over quantity.

You may be right about concentrating on the first team but I don't think many saw the breakdown between owners and manager happening like it did.

You're spot on about that Julian, although there were murmers after the CL final when Rafa complained about resources. He was moaning about not being able to build a stong team so it was definitely an issue and i'd have thought he may have looked to concentrate on first teamers because of that.

There's all sorts of variables though. Rafa may have though Babel was more of a finished article than he actually is etc.

You may be right about concentrating on the first team but I don't think many saw the breakdown between owners and manager happening like it did.

That is the big issue here for me. This has go to have had a massive impact on the players. Every time one of them has spoken about Rafa they show so much respect and faith in him, I have experienced this where a manager I used to work under years ago, was sacked because he stood for what he believed and when it happened it had a detrimental effect on the team's performance. we were the top performing team in the whole of the company nationwide, for two and a half years. And it wasn't coincidence and just down to us. The effect the gaffer had on us made us want to come to work and do well. And that is the feeling I get from the players about Rafa.