You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Your first visit to Anfield

Jordy20

Nah, it was a good few years before then, I reckon about 1983/84?? My abiding memory was of being five or six and my dad telling me that the game wasn't being played cos of the snow, and I cried. But then I also remember being at the game??? Maybe it was replayed and I imagined being there in the snow?? It's all so hazy cos I was so young. I do seem to remember Ja Molby playing a part in the win - a penalty maybe??? Or something.

So hazy. I can't find any reference on t'web either...

Mayve I imagined it all and my first game was completely different! ;-)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, it was a good few years before then, I reckon about 1983/84?? My abiding memory was of being five or six and my dad telling me that the game wasn't being played cos of the snow, and I cried. But then I also remember being at the game??? Maybe it was replayed and I imagined being there in the snow?? It's all so hazy cos I was so young. I do seem to remember Ja Molby playing a part in the win - a penalty maybe??? Or something.

So hazy. I can't find any reference on t'web either...

Mayve I imagined it all and my first game was completely different! ;-)

Tom,

Might have been Norwich at home 3rd round 4th January 1986. We won 5-0 in a snowstorm. Molby played but he didn't score although I think he set up at least one of our goals.

We played Luton the following season (1986-87). This was the occasion after a 0-0 draw in Luton that they failed to turn up for the replay at Anfield, blaming poor weather conditions which they said meant they could not travel. There were thousands waiting patiently inside Anfield and I know people who drove up from the London area that day yet Luton were not penalised for failing to arrive for the replay. When it was eventually played, we again drew 0-0, lost the toss for the right to host the third match and went out 0-3 at Luton two days later.

Tom,

Might have been Norwich at home 3rd round 4th January 1986. We won 5-0 in a snowstorm. Molby played but he didn't score although I think he set up at least one of our goals.

We played Luton the following season (1986-87). This was the occasion after a 0-0 draw in Luton that they failed to turn up for the replay at Anfield, blaming poor weather conditions which they said meant they could not travel. There were thousands waiting patiently inside Anfield and I know people who drove up from the London area that day yet Luton were not penalised for failing to arrive for the replay. When it was eventually played, we again drew 0-0, lost the toss for the right to host the third match and went out 0-3 at Luton two days later.

You know what, that Norwich game sounds like it might be the one. Was that with the orange ball and all that though?

It was for my birthday, which is in December, and we deffo won by a few goals, so sounds promising.

That would have been my 7th birthday, which would be about right I guess (I seem to remember being 6, but I guess my 7th birthday would make me about 6!)

Must have been the next year when i cried cos of Luton. Cunts.

Giving my age away here:

Liverpool 3 - 0 Bristol Rovers

Game Date :: 31.03.1961

Competition :: 2nd Division Stadium :: Anfield

Spectators :: 36,538

Starting line-up

1 Bert Slater

2 John Molyneux

3 Gerry Byrne

4 Johnny Wheeler

5 Dick White

6 Tommy Leishman

7 Kevin Lewis

8 Roger Hunt

9 Dave Hickson

10 Jimmy Melia

11 John Morrissey

Goals

Roger Hunt 9'

Johnny Wheeler 63'

Dave Hickson 72'

I was in the old Kemlyn Road Stand which at the time was wooden, with my Dad and brother.

You know what, that Norwich game sounds like it might be the one. Was that with the orange ball and all that though?

It was for my birthday, which is in December, and we deffo won by a few goals, so sounds promising.

That would have been my 7th birthday, which would be about right I guess (I seem to remember being 6, but I guess my 7th birthday would make me about 6!)

Must have been the next year when i cried cos of Luton. Cunts.

Yes Tom, I remember an orange ball was used because of the snow at the Norwich cup-tie in 1986. I can't find the goals online anywhere but they certainly appeared in one of the many videos that were released around that time (possibly from the first Official History that was released in 1987 and showed quite a lot of highlights from the 1985-86 Double season).

Chris

FA Cup '95 1 v 2 Spurs. Klinnsmann got the winner. I was on the Kop.

Was blissfully drunk for most of the weekend. Stayed in the YMCA and played 5 a side footie one morning after the fry-up. Never returned since.....to the Y that is.

Great weekend despite the defeat. Met Klinnsmann too. Seemed like a nice fella for a kraut.

The line-up from mine:

Liverpool 2 - 1 Stoke City

Game Date :: 25.10.1994

Competition :: League Cup 3rd round Stadium :: Anfield

Spectators :: 32,060

Starting line-up

1 David James

12 John Scales

6 Phil Babb

20 Stig Inge Bjørnebye

2 Rob Jones

25 Neil Ruddock

17 Steve McManaman

15 Jamie Redknapp

10 John Barnes

23 Robbie Fowler

9 Ian Rush

Subs

13 Michael Stensgaard

7 Nigel Clough

24 Lee Jones

Goals

Ian Rush 4'

Ian Rush 56'

My first 2 Liverpool matches were both at Wembley- the 86 Charity Shield and the 87 Littlewoods Cup Final. We played at Wembley almost as often as Anfield in those days.

My third game was a 3-0 home victory v Forest in early 87. I still remember Gary Ablett having a superb game that day- got the third goal if I remember correctly.

Easter 1981. Liverpool – Manchester United 0-1. Sat on the Kemlyn Road stand, close to the cheering mancs (Away fans in the other side of Anfield Road end back then). I was outside the ground an hour before kick-off, went up to the window and bought my ticket, no problem. Almost 10k empty seats that night. The mancs and far from a sell-out! Those were different times.

I have a 10 month old mate. I would just be horrified if he said that when he is older even in innocence.

You better prepare yourself son cos that's what they do!!!

If you think it will not happen then get those rose tinted glasses off!

The funny part is that they know not what they do! Now I don't care what name you call god but we are all supposed to forgive when this happens.

What are you gonna do not take your son to Anfield. What will you say the first time he reads your language on here? Will you ask the blokes around you to stop calling the ref a cunt?? You correct them, teach them, but when something like that happens it is just funny! If he knowingly swore in front of an adult as a child he knew I would skin him. But to expect that they wont swear - not gonna happen lad.

My first game was in the summer of 1996, after Euro 96. It was a friendly against Porto and me Uncle took me. I cannot remember the line ups, I do know we got beat 4-0, but that's all I can remember, as I was sat in the Main Stand, right in front of Robbie Fowler and Steve McManaman!! Both nice fellers too.

I was 8 years old and was over with my dad and older brother. I have a feeling thisisanfield was also at the same match.

Game Date :: 07.03.1998

Competition :: Premier League Stadium :: Anfield

Spectators :: 44,532

Starting line-up

29 Brad Friedel

12 Steve Harkness

2 Rob Jones

21 Dominic Matteo

20 Stig Inge Bjørnebye

7 Steve McManaman

11 Jamie Redknapp

17 Paul Ince