You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pass and move, the Liverpool groove

neopulian

Norringham Forest - Liverpool *87-88). This was supposed to be the best performance by one of the best team assembled in Liverpool history.

I nicked this off another forum. You can either watch or download it.

http://www.stage6.com/user/Albatros99/video/1829647/Liverpool-Nottingham-Forest-Season-1987-88

The shorts were fuckin horrible, making it 22 fruity looking players prancing around (NTTAWWT). Brian Clough was a real bastard, forcing Des Walker to soldier on on his injured ankle.

The football was different, clearly slower, and the back pass made all sorts of tactical difference. Goal keeper was the key, give him the ball when the team need some seconds to recollect themselves. We basically played with 2 flair players - Peter Beardsley and John Barnes who provided the nuances. Otherwise, it was a straight forward 4-4-2.

If this team gets to play the current team we have; without the backpass rule, they would probably lose close to double digits -- mostly due to the advantage of modern fitness, athleticism, and extra pressure to hold on to posession that they didn't have to deal with back them by just giving it to the goalie; without it, and with the heavy old ball, they probably whip the current crop while our modern heroes whining to the ref of the tough tackles and the heavy ball that hurt their delicate feet.

Blasphemy, I know.

Our transitional game was pretty awesome. it was these quick, devastating counters that decimated Forest. We didn't really out-pass them (provided Forest was one of the less "direct" teams of the league). It'd be great to have someone like Beardsley nowaday, provided a bit faster and fitter.

The backpass rule certainly changed the game as has the almost inevitable referees whistle for any hard physical contact. I still have that complete game on video and that was a hell of a performance by a great side. Paul I would also add Aldo, the be boy knew how to finish.

Mate, we could do with any number of players from that team - they were the best I've seen (back pass rule or no back pass rule). However, Barnes and Beardsley would fill huge gaps in the current side - especially real pace, guile and goals from the flanks and a tricky fucker to play off Torres.

Mate, we could do with any number of players from that team - they were the best I've seen (back pass rule or no back pass rule). However, Barnes and Beardsley would fill huge gaps in the current side - especially real pace, guile and goals from the flanks and a tricky fucker to play off Torres.

Can you imagine the amount of rotation Rafa could achieve with the current squad and 3 or 4 from that team??:lol: I remeber them tearing Arsenal a new ringpiece at Highbury on the opening day of the season.