You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Wire - Season 5

Section_31

It's not the writing talent we lack; it's the money to film it. A big US drama costs up to $10m per episode and will often run for between three to six months. A big production in this country is £2m an episode for 6 weeks. Even then the returns are tough (whether from advertising or selling on the rights to other countries). Massive, high production values pieces of drama can only be made in the States unfortunately.

The talent is probably there but I don't think it's money that stops these shows being made but the demographic that the advertisers are going after. I.e middle aged women mostly.

The only show on British TV which even remotely appeals to me at the moment in terms of content is Spooks. Well written, sharp, relevant.

When you look at some of the shite that gets churned out it's nothing really to do with budget, I mean a 'Cracker' would probably cost less to produce than previously mentioned Caroline Quenten cop-show shite. Or Ross Kemp's SAS bollocks, where he walks around with a special forces team with a woman in it ffs.

There's no even attempt at realism or quality, they're just cobbled together vehicles for 'well loved' 'stars'.

Anyhoo here's the intro for season 5...

• 4 weeks later...
If anyone's interested Play are selling series 1,2 and 3

for about £25 each

Amazon have got them for £17.97 each, plus you can earn Usher some extra hairband money by going through the affiliate link.

EDIT: Except you can't as it's only Liverpool products. But it's still eight quid cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...
Amazon have got them for £17.97 each, plus you can earn Usher some extra hairband money by going through the affiliate link.

EDIT: Except you can't as it's only Liverpool products. But it's still eight quid cheaper.

Or seven for those of us who went two school.

As for season 5 it's nice to see the good old McNulty is back. Although I think he's tangled himself up in some serious shit.

Watched seven episodes of season 5, obviously I wont say anything about it, only it's been fantastic and is shaping up to be the best series yet.

Seen them all up to episode 8, which I watched last night. Its as good as Sopranos ever was.

This series has really stepped up a notch and he media stuff is all good too.

Nobody will be dissapointed with what has happened so far.

Seen them all up to episode 8, which I watched last night. Its as good as Sopranos ever was.

This series has really stepped up a notch and he media stuff is all good too.

Nobody will be dissapointed with what has happened so far.

Totally agree, it's excelled in every area, gripping from the start but still not in the Soprano's league for me.

• 3 weeks later...
The thing with The Wire is that you get the feeling that massive consideration has been given to every word in it.I love The Sopranos but I would say the The Wire just shades it for me.Both great shows tho.

Deffo, you know that a lifetime of frustrations of people who genuinely love Baltimore is behind every line and every scene, it's pure art.

I pity anyone who hasn't seen it.

I've sold a mate on it recently and am waiting for that magic moment when the 'wire switch' goes off in his brain and it moves from 'yeah its' good' to 'holy shit lend me your boxsets NOW!!!'