You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Car help?

lifetime fan

Right, as fucking stupid as this sounds how do I tell if a car runs on petrol or deisel?

I've borrowed a mates banger, (Nissan Rasheen) and the fuel is almost completely gone and I need to fill it up. However I can not get hold of him and there are no fuel receipts in the car.

To add to it, any instructions in the fucking thing are written in Indian (I think) and i can't work out how to lift the bonnet.

Any ideas?

Right, as fucking stupid as this sounds how do I tell if a car runs on petrol or deisel?

I've borrowed a mates banger, (Nissan Rasheen) and the fuel is almost completely gone and I need to fill it up. However I can not get hold of him and there are no fuel receipts in the car.

To add to it, any instructions in the fucking thing are written in Indian (I think) and i can't work out how to lift the bonnet.

Any ideas?

Start it up and smell the exhaust fumes.

Just the sound of the engine should be enough, really. How quickly it revs up, does it pull like a horse at tickover, does it sound "grannngy".

Guest The Chimp

If it's a diesel it should be difficult to start the engine straight away. The main giveaway if it's a diesel should be on the dash. When you turn the key is there an amber light that comes on and then goes off about three seconds later. Diesel doesn't have spark plugs and uses "solonoids" (can't remember the right name), but they have to heat up usually. Diesel is also quite greasy - so that again might halp mate. Sorry, all I can think of at the mo.

Sound stupid I know but what is the engine size, often diesels are odd to petrol for example 1.5, 1.9's, where as petrols are often 1.2, 1.4, 1.6 1.8's.

You should be able to tell by the acceleration, engine noise and mid range poke in older models.

Diesels (older ones especially) are slow off the mark, with good mid range torque. They usually have a clattering noise tractor type opposed to a quieter and smoother petrol.

Also if the back tag has a "d" after the engine size its usually a diesel.

Besides syphoning off a fuel sample and burning it, you're fucked if none of that helps.

edit: chimps and others orange warm up light is a good tip too.

Another quick way, even without putting the key in the ignition, is to check to see what it revs up to before the redline.

If it is about 4000 then it is diesel.

If it is 7-8000 then it is petrol.

(Diesels deliver their power/torque much lower down, which helps them to be much more economical).

also if it's a diesel it might have a light on the dashboard to tell you when to start. As in when you turn it to second click a light will come on for about 3 seconds then go off to tell you it's ready. Think it's when the coils are warmed or some shit like that
...Glowplugs, thats what they are..........turn on ignition, glowplug light comes on for a second or two, when it goes out start engine and drive away.

Sound stupid I know but what is the engine size, often diesels are odd to petrol for example 1.5, 1.9's, where as petrols are often 1.2, 1.4, 1.6 1.8's.

You should be able to tell by the acceleration, engine noise and mid range poke in older models.

Diesels (older ones especially) are slow off the mark, with good mid range torque. They usually have a clattering noise tractor type opposed to a quieter and smoother petrol.

Also if the back tag has a "d" after the engine size its usually a diesel.

Besides syphoning off a fuel sample and burning it, you're fucked if none of that helps.

edit: chimps and others orange warm up light is a good tip too.

*GF translation*

Have you tried read-booting?