You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Capello

Section_31

Looks like he's England's new man, virtually done and dusted apparently.

A good move by the FA I think, hopefully someone who'll finally see through the fact that fat fwank is garbage.

Southgate kicking off saying we should have an English manager was funny though, like who Gareth? You? :D

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like he's England's new man, virtually done and dusted apparently.

A good move by the FA I think, hopefully someone who'll finally see through the fact that fat fwank is garbage.

Southgate kicking off saying we should have an English manager was funny though, like who Gareth? You? :D

England manager in 'having no idea' shocker. Good appointment for England though.

You could have your wish! if this is anything to go by....

Sick of perceived laziness from Ronaldo at Real Madrid Capello resorted to asking him "Aren't you ashamed of being so fat ?" in front of his team-mates as he left the showers. The striker was sold to Milan the next month. :thumbsup: so fat frank is rightly fuked

Probably the most qualified CV of any club manager in the world. Wins wherever he goes, normally in the first season. Can he translate that to international football? Possibly the most difficult job in the international game with the level of expectation and the lack of any kind of basic passing game in the team. I suspect Lippi would have been marginally the better choice because of his international experience but you would be mad to bet against Capello being a success.

Who do you think would do a better job Ian?

I'm not that bothered about England and haven't really thought about it to be honest Weeksie. I just think that what England need, is a manager who will get them playing some decent football and I don't think Capello's teams are that great on the eye.

Can't knock his pedigree at all, but there will be some big obstacles.

I really like Hiddink.

Link

Board disquiet stalls Capello's coronation

Paul Kelso

Thursday December 13, 2007

Negotiations between the Football Association and Fabio Capello will continue tomorrow after a debate among the FA board members delayed the expected confirmation of the Italian as Steve McClaren's successor.

Capello is expected to be confirmed as England's second foreign coach later tomorrow, but only after the conclusion of negotiations over the terms of the Italian's contract and that of his backroom staff that will spill over into a third day. After two meetings of the FA board, both convened by conference call at 12.30pm and 5pm, Capello's appointment was approved by the board subject to the satisfactory conclusion of contract negotiations.

FA sources insist that there is no sticking point in the negotiations and it is anticipated that a deal will be sealed tomorrow with Capello receiving £6.5m a year on a deal that will initially run to the 2010 World Cup. "The board has approved his appointment as manager subject to further negotiations," the FA said in a statement. "These will continue but there are no problems and we're going through the process for a successful conclusion."

There was significant disquiet expressed during the two conference calls with the board however, with the all-Italian make-up of Capello's back-room staff and the exact role of Franco Baldini, his proposed right-hand man, exercising some board members. Capello is expected to appoint three key coaching staff in Franco Tancredi [goalkeeping coach], the assistant Italo Galbiati and the fitness trainer Massimo Neri alongside Baldini, who was his sporting director at Real Madrid.

Some members of the board expressed reservations that Baldini's role might clash with that of the FA's director of football development, Sir Trevor Brooking, but an FA source denied tonight that Baldini's role was an issue. "When Fabio is appointed Baldini will be his right-hand man, and there is no way that will clash with Sir Trevor's role in football development."

Baldini's situation is complicated by the fact that he is on a short-list to become technical director at West Ham, but today he also insisted that his role would not imperil Capello's appointment. "I understand the FA has in principle said yes to me doing this job," he said. "If I do not, I think Capello will still be England coach, but maybe he will be a little less comfortable."

The FA chief executive, Brian Barwick, was mandated to nominate a candidate to the board who would then scrutinise the process and approve the deal, but the executive's understandable haste to seal Capello's appointment left some senior board figures feeling that deal had been done too quickly.

With a board meeting scheduled for next Thursday some board members would have preferred scrutiny of the appointments process and the contract, the most expensive the FA has ever approved for an employee, to have been done at a formal meeting with all members present.

Instead the board was consulted by phone, with some members, including the Football League chairman Lord Mawhinney playing no part at all. Mawhinney spent the morning chairing a Football League clubs meeting and then flew to Belfast to fulfil a prior commitment last night. The FA chairman Geoff Thompson meanwhile is in Tokyo on Fifa duty for the World Club championship.

For all the disquiet expressed today there was sufficient support among the board members for the deal to be approved, with no one voting against a motion to approve Capello's appointment and Barwick can count on the whole-hearted support of several board members who feel the move is a positive step.

The exact nature of Capello's role is sure to be debated in the coming days however, with the identity and role of the promised English presence in the team at the heart of discussions. As Under-21 manager, Stuart Pearce, is expected to play a role, but it is as yet unclear what Capello would demand of him. The wider question of the development of coaches and young players also remains in the air.

Amazing isn't it? The FA are looking like they've hired themselves one of the best managers currently working in world football but some people are whining about who he wants in his support staff.

Hire the man. Let him tell you what he wants. Give it to him.

As for a Brooking/Baldini face-off, we're constantly being told that there are no opportunities for young English players and that the senior national team is shite. Hardly a ringing endorsement for Trevor's work, is it?

I'm not that bothered about England and haven't really thought about it to be honest Weeksie. I just think that what England need, is a manager who will get them playing some decent football and I don't think Capello's teams are that great on the eye.

Can't knock his pedigree at all, but there will be some big obstacles.

I really like Hiddink.

Me neither, not that arsed but its a big story this week so I got drawn into a little. I know what you mean about creating more of a footballing team, but seems to me they need to walk before they can run (i.e. start going to difficult countries and get results).

Hiddink's teams play better football but Capello is just a pure-bred winner. His teams may not be easy on the eye but they are very, very difficult to beat and, simply put, they win trophies. Not that arsed about Ingurland either, but it's an excellent appointment whichever way you slice it.

I would ask, why don't Ian think he'll do well? Because he is going to manage a country instead of a club? Because of his lack of English or?

I think Ian's point is that Capello is very pragmatic, and not a total football sort of coach. If you combine dreary football with a string of possibly poor results, it could be a nightmare for him. The english press of course will pounce on his pragmatism whether they do well in WC qualifying or not.

International football is all about organisation and motivation and that's where Cappello excels. The football at that level is generally decent anyway because you have all the best players at your disposal.

Getting them playing like a club side, though, like Barca or Arsenal for example, is very difficult as you just don't have the time with the players to implement and fine tune that kind of approach.

As a 'former England supporter' I am in favour of this appointment however it will be interesting to see, what happens in the press when Lampard and Terry are dropped and the armband taken away. Second division player may be given a role and the chief reporter for the mail told to go fuck himself. Whilst scrapping 1-0 wins.

Should be entertaining.

Totally chuffed over the appointment and he was my first choice from when he said he was interested. He is a winner pure and simple. People say about his style of football well i'm sorry but winning football always wins for me. It will be interesting to see what squad he picks and if Terry keeps the captaincy. We know Lippi thinks that gerrard is the best player in england but does Capello?

You could have your wish! if this is anything to go by....

Sick of perceived laziness from Ronaldo at Real Madrid Capello resorted to asking him "Aren't you ashamed of being so fat ?" in front of his team-mates as he left the showers. The striker was sold to Milan the next month. :thumbsup: so fat frank is rightly fuked

Another classic from capello...

While in charge of Milan, his tactics in a friendly match in China were questioned by Paolo Di Canio after he was substituted for a midfielder so that the Rossoneri could protect a one-goal lead. Capello reportedly retorted: “You are an ugly cunt and your head looks like a penis.”

Another quote... “I can’t stand the crap that gets talked by everyone - players, fans, the media, club officials. Why should I waste my time listening to people who are clearly less intelligent than me?”