You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Marseile V Liverpool FC

Red Nick

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice result that. There've been a few games this season where we have looked utterly in control and tonight was one of those games.

Torres is utter class. I was so wrong about him and I'm so glad to be proved so. If he's fit against the Mancs on sunday...oh marone!

Good performance by everyone tonight and, even though we lost at the weekend, these performances are becoming more frequent. Love being bottom of the group then just putting our foot on the gas and bombing past people.

People are entitled to their opinion. I don't see the problem in people praising tonights performance/selection/shape/tactics etc yet being slightly tinged with frustration about the weekend.

Whats the point in going on about it? You in particular if we beat Man Utd will still be giving it the "If only Rafa didnt pick that shit team v Reading" stuff. It's just boring reading the same moaning from the same people in every thread.

Get the fuck over it, I've criticised his team v Reading and said he deserved any shit that come his way on the Saturday and Sunday but going on and on and on whats that gonna do exactly?

I know you'll give it the "It's a forum" shite but it still doesnt make the same repetitive stuff any less boring though.

Whats the point in going on about it? You in particular if we beat Man Utd will still be giving it the "If only Rafa didnt pick that shit team v Reading" stuff. It's just boring reading the same moaning from the same people in every thread.

Get the fuck over it, I've criticised his team v Reading and said he deserved any shit that come his way on the Saturday and Sunday but going on and on and on whats that gonna do exactly?

I know you'll give it the "It's a forum" shite but it still doesnt make the same repetitive stuff any less boring though.

Fucking hell lad, the way you're going on about it is as if someone has started a thread or something. What's a couple of throw-away comments?

People were given shite for being frustrated on the weekend, so it's only natural to show tonight as a reason why.

You can't fucking win on here. If you praise the team for winning it's 'you've changed your tune' but if you criticise it's 'why don't you just enjoy the victory'.

As far as i'm concerned, Saturday remains an issue and will do as long as it continues to be repeated. Fair enough if new threads are started bringing it up again, but a few throw-away comments means fuck all, really.

People are entitled to their opinion. I don't see the problem in people praising tonights performance/selection/shape/tactics etc yet being slightly tinged with frustration about the weekend.

I wish I could just forget the weekend but I can't because it was so painful. Don't criticise people for having an opinion and voicing it, it's a forum after all.

Brownie,

"Rafa is never going to win the League. Period!"

"Rafa is a surrender monkey. Period!"

These are opinions, true. But they are vitriolic ones, and invite a similar response. They are NOT the opening gambits to some enlightening piece of wisdom to follow.

And its just not on having people ready to whip this kind of hyperbolic response at the drop of a hat. What these people fail to realise is that crap like that drags the whole forum down, and makes a painful weekend experience even worse. Why cant this forum be a cathartic release for when we really need it - and not a cesspool of negativity.

Marseille were and are utterly appalling but that is as close to a complete performance on the road in Europe. It was almost perfect. I know they were utterly dreadful but we have bounced back from Saturday in style. I said that it was an unfortunate off day and I feel vindicated in saying that now, as we have come back off the ropes in style.

What we did so well, as we have been doing excellently in recent weeks, was that we started well. The game was over after 11 minutes and but for the incompetent imbecile of a ref it would have been over after 3 minutes. How it's not a red card I'll never know. Clearly the last man, clearly stopping a goal scoring opportunity. Has to go, no question. At that moment I thought it might be another Reading, where every single little thing went against us, but thirty seconds later I didn't as the rebound fell our way. That boosted our confidence and I fancied us to win comfortably.

The second goal was world class. Call the defending all you want, that was a fabulous goal. It speaks for itself. Nando was a menace all night long and that just lit up the game. Quality.

We sat back a little bit after that but soaked up any pressure comfortably. The only threat to us was the ref, who kept falling for dive after dive, particularly from Niang. Assclown. He spent more time on the floor in one game than Drogba did in 2 seasons. Nasri looked good when he came on as well, but he quickly ran out of steam. Nowhere near fit. I like him though.

We ended the first half strongly and I was irate we didn't utterly kill the game off - Kewell should have when he vollied over. It didn't matter though because we then went up the over end and scored. Slightly doubtful offside decision but after the total lack of luck that went our way on Saturday I don't really care. We just then cruised for the rest of the half until Babel went and put the seal on it with a brilliant finish. No doubt he will be criticised again for coming off the bench and scoring when we're on top.

All in all, I'm delighted. We have done it the hard way and we've guaranteed ourselves a nasty draw but we have made it from the depths of elimination. I still don't get how we lost to rubbish like Marseille and Besiktas but there you go. All's well that ends well. Until we get Real...

Brownie,

"Rafa is never going to win the League. Period!"

"Rafa is a surrender monkey. Period!"

These are opinions, true. But they are vitriolic ones, and invite a similar response. They are NOT the opening gambits to some enlightening piece of wisdom to follow.

And its just not on having people ready to whip this kind of hyperbolic response at the drop of a hat. What these people fail to realise is that crap like that drags the whole forum down, and makes a painful weekend experience even worse. Why cant this forum be a cathartic release for when we really need it - and not a cesspool of negativity.

So what you're saying, is that the forum should be an unrealistic den of positivity even when there's things to be disappointed about? People should tow the party line and just go against their instincts and opinions?

That doesn't make a good forum for me. Vitriol isn't something everyone wants to see, true, but then again this is football and we all know that emotions run high.

I just don't see the point in coming on here and being all, 'oh well that was unlucky, we lost because of the referee' etc when there are important issues to discuss and get off your chest.

As far as i'm concerned, Saturday remains an issue and will do as long as it continues to be repeated.

Exactly. We'll never know if a stronger team and keeping the best players on the pitch would have gained us 3 points.

But what we do know is that deliberately playing a weak team and substituting the best players gained 0 points.

I am sick of people saying othe oppositon were "dreadful" - maybe we were just too good?

I have to agree. It's been wheeled out in every convincing win we've had all season. OK, so yes, there are gonna be tougher tasks than Derby, Besiktas, Newcastle and Marseilles, but we've absolutely destroyed those lot where in previous seasons we might have thrown it away somehow. We're doing demolition jobs in games that should be routine wins. And, as we saw against Arsenal and Everton, we're capable of grinding out results when we don;t particularly deserve it. The really big games are still to come but the signs are good at the moment - bad results notwithstanding.

Exactly. We'll never know if a stronger team and keeping the best players on the pitch would have gained us 3 points.

But what we do know is that deliberately playing a weak team and substituting the best players gained 0 points.

You could turn that on its head: we'll never know if a more tired team would have won tonight and qualified us for the knockout stages of the CL, gaining Rafa a healthy pot of money and hopefully the support of his employers. What we DO know is that a slightly more rested team have done the job handsomely.

So what you're saying, is that the forum should be an unrealistic den of positivity even when there's things to be disappointed about? People should tow the party line and just go against their instincts and opinions?

That doesn't make a good forum for me. Vitriol isn't something everyone wants to see, true, but then again this is football and we all know that emotions run high.

I just don't see the point in coming on here and being all, 'oh well that was unlucky, we lost because of the referee' etc when there are important issues to discuss and get off your chest.

No mate, thats not what I'm saying at all. We all have our opinions, good, bad and indifferent.

But there are some people who just refuse to keep any sense of perspective. When we draw a game, they run around screaming how we are doomed to another decade of league mediocrity. When we lose a game, they run around screaming that the manager SURRENDERED.

When some keep acting like a chimp overdosed on coke, at the merest hint of a setback, then it really really really reduces the forum experience for everybody else. Instead of being able to log on here to kick over the entrails, complain, whine, laugh, cry and get it all off our chest - we are now AFRAID to even check the forum, in the foreknowledge that some of our resident wankers will have gone to town with the most outrageous crap.

I mean, if I wanted that kind of aggro, why wouldn't I just toddle off to Chelsea or Everton or ManUre msg boards to discuss all things Liverpool?

PS: the single biggest factor why we lost to Reading WAS the ref. There's no getting around that (he scored 5 goals for them).

I have to agree. It's been wheeled out in every convincing win we've had all season.

Yeah it's been doing my head in that.

"Besiktas are shite" bla bla. They may well be but 8-0 was an absolutely incredible scoreline. 8-0 in a Champions League game is immense and thats proven by the fact it's a record score.

"Newcastle are shite" again they may well be but they held the incredible, perfect team that are Arsenal, you still have to go there work as hard as they do and outclass them.

"6-0 V Derby is alright but everyone will hammer them". Maybe so but Arsenal only got 5, Utd only got 4 and conceded"

We'll now get the "Marseille are shite" stuff when before the game it's "No English team has won there, great support, it'll be tough"

I honestly believe that we were too good for an average Marseille side. I don't think they were horrible. They managed to not get over run even after our ultra-confident opening 15 minutes.

Tonight, our boys showed their class. Flat out. We made very few errors and exploited theirs(inability to hold a steady line, deal with the passing game, and Torres' explosivity).

That is what class sides do... and gents, that is what we have. A class side.

Special mention of Kuyt who looked quite good tonight. Good finish as well.

No mate, thats not what I'm saying at all. We all have our opinions, good, bad and indifferent.

But there are some people who just refuse to keep any sense of perspective. When we draw a game, they run around screaming how we are doomed to another decade of league mediocrity. When we lose a game, they run around screaming that the manager SURRENDERED.

When some keep acting like a chimp overdosed on coke, at the merest hint of a setback, then it really really really reduces the forum experience for everybody else. Instead of being able to log on here to kick over the entrails, complain, whine, laugh, cry and get it all off our chest - we are now AFRAID to even check the forum, in the foreknowledge that some of our resident wankers will have gone to town with the most outrageous crap.

I mean, if I wanted that kind of aggro, why wouldn't I just toddle off to Chelsea or Everton or ManUre msg boards to discuss all things Liverpool?

PS: the single biggest factor why we lost to Reading WAS the ref. There's no getting around that (he scored 5 goals for them).

No he wasn't and no he didn't. Look through the threads, it wasnt pens for us, yes it shouldn't have been a pen for them, but then Carra ddn't get a yellow, so he is ready for the Mancs as well. Ifithadntbeenfer etc....

Wooo Hoooo, post 500

No he wasn't and no he didn't. Look through the threads, it wasnt pens for us, yes it shouldn't have been a pen for them, but then Carra ddn't get a yellow, so he is ready for the Mancs as well. Ifithadntbeenfer etc....

Wooo Hoooo, post 500

It wasnt a pen because some gimp said so on page 22 of some thread somewhere?

Fuck that. I saw the bloody game live. I saw the replays, repeatedly. Their pen was outside the box. 2 on Torres were blatent (first one was a pure trip, 2nd, he was tugged, then rugby tackled from the back). Sissoko was 50-50. Crouch was a pen (shirt tug), but a subtle one.

I wouldn't be screaming if 1 or 2 weren't given. BUT ALL FIVE???

And then to cap it all off - it was all Rafa's fault apparently.

(and Carra should have gotten a yellow. Give him one, and give us our 3 points back. No arguments from me then)

Very very pleased with that. Back in the day of Sir Bob, it would have been go out there, keep the ball, shut the crowd up and we’ll take a 1-0 on the counter attack thank you very much.

Here we rip them apart in 11 minutes and still keep at them. Bollix to the opposition were shit brigade. We made them look shit, only guy keeping them in it was the referee.

Big hand to Harry Kewell (& Rafa for having more patience with him than most of us on here). A mention too for JAR; nothing spectacular, just safe & solid, did his job and did it well.

When Torres learns to shoot with his left foot, he’ll be up there with the best in the world! All the same, it’s such a thrill to have a player in our team capable of scoring goals like that after such a long time without.

I do believe I even saw Rafa hug Gerrard at the end.

Really hope we do the Mancs on Sunday ‘cos I like coming on here after a game.

You could turn that on its head: we'll never know if a more tired team would have won tonight and qualified us for the knockout stages of the CL, gaining Rafa a healthy pot of money and hopefully the support of his employers. What we DO know is that a slightly more rested team have done the job handsomely.

We also know that playing a weak team against Marseille at home got us in this predicament in the first place. Another case of self inflicted defeat by Rafa, he needs to learn the lesson very quickly.

We were in a group of very weak teams and scraped through due to Rafa's selection policy when qualification should have been a formality.

We also know that playing a weak team against Marseille at home got us in this predicament in the first place. Another case of self inflicted defeat by Rafa, he needs to learn the lesson very quickly.

We were in a group of very weak teams and scraped through due to Rafa's selection policy when qualification should have been a formality.

Weak team at home?...hmm i was at that match and I seem to remember Torres and Crouch starting...by many regarded our best forward line up... a midfield with Gerrard and Sissoko in the middle with Benayoun in as well.. I`ll give you Leto... but the defence was Reina, Finnan, Hyypia, Carra and Aurelio...not exactly the reserves, and again, by many regarded our best defence. You could give a shout for Arbeloa in there...

But there wes no weak side we fielded against Marseilles. That team was more than good enough to bury that side, but that team failed to turn up on the day. Gerrard was having a stinker...as had Torres, Crouch, Carra, Sami, Yossi, Aurelio, Leto. We were terrible... from memory I remember Finnan and Reina was the ones who was`nt terrible that night. Sissoko playing the worst game in his Liverpool game was the one player who looked for the ball, the others hid and it was painful to watch. But it was far from a weak line up. It was just a terrible performance by a group of good players.