You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a hard time seperating them into a top 10, so will list those that can make it in no particular order...

The Matrix

Aliens

The Usual Suspects

Shawshank Redemption

The Kite Runner

Into the Wild

The Dark Knight

The Chronicles of Riddick

V for Vendetta

Braveheart

Sholay

Black Hawk Down

The Dirty Dozen

Mississippi Burning

Goodfellas

Cocoon

Die Hard 2

Full Metal Jacket

Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrells

Platoon

No Way Out

Se7en

Bourne Ultimatum

The Great Escape

North West Frontier

North by North West

Those Maginificent men in there Flying machines

Zulu

Is this the thread where someone said they were going to tot up all the responses on their day off and produce a definitive TLW top 10?

1. Casablanca

2. Star Wars

3. Dr Strangelove

4. Taxi Driver

5. On the Waterfront

6. Jaws

7. Lawrence of Arabia

8. The Godfather

9. Aliens

10. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The funny thing is that we've done this at least twice before and you know that if you were to look at your previous choices they'd be different to the ones you post here.

I keep thinking that The Dark Knight is nailed on to be in my top ten and then my head starts telling me that I should think about it a bit more and it's the fact I saw it so recently thats forcing its case. I reckon in two years time there'll be no internal discussion, I'll be sure it's as good as I think it is.

And here it is quickly penned in no particualr order:

It’s a Wonderful Life

Pans Labyrinth

Jaws

Shawshank Redemption

Goodfellas

Shining

Blade Runner

Withnail & I

Life of Brian

Harold and Maude

Knocking on the door as they've only been watched once:

No Country For Old Men

There Will be Blood

Your problem Stu is that you clearly aren't able to recognise genius when you see it.

I think the genius is hidden superbly behind lots of CGI and noise. I can only guess there is lots of subtle character development hidden somewhere deep behind the sight of things smashing loudly into other things.

I've done turds with more genius about them.

Thurder Heart

Immortal Beloved

BrotherHood

Dead Man

Sling Blade

Withnail & I

The Big Lebowki

Twelve Angry Men

No Mans Land

Witness

Irreversible

Bubba Ho-Tep

Savior

Amistad

Clerks

The Line Red Line

Predator

Monsters Ball

The Man Who Wasn't There

Amores Perros

Menento

Mr Sanchez, I'm surprised with Darjeeling, its Wes Andersons worst film by a long shot. Unless it was the site of Matildas bottom (which was a delight, for sure).

I've only seen TDL and The Royal Tennenbaums. I love the way that The Darjeeling Limited was shot, especially the colouring of the film, and I preferred the performances in it to the ones in TRT. I thought that they were a little more subtle. The Royal Tennenbaums I thought was good, but the characters were far too obvious and I didn't really feel sorry for any of them.

TDJ in my opinion was shot so well that it almost could have got away with an iffy script or the odd dodgy performance, but for me it covered the whole spectrum of emotions, it was funny, it was tragic, the main players were all excellent, it was well paced, the characters were all interesting to me, in short, it was everything that I like in that sort of film. I can totally see that it's the sort of film that would split opinions though.

And it didn't have Ben Stiller in it.

Thurder Heart

Immortal Beloved

BrotherHood

Dead Man

Sling Blade

Withnail & I

The Big Lebowki

Twelve Angry Men

No Mans Land

Witness

Is this the dodgy 80s thriller starring Charlie Sheen?

I've only seen TDL and The Royal Tennenbaums. I love the way that The Darjeeling Limited was shot, especially the colouring of the film, and I preferred the performances in it to the ones in TRT. I thought that they were a little more subtle. The Royal Tennenbaums I thought was good, but the characters were far too obvious and I didn't really feel sorry for any of them.

TDJ in my opinion was shot so well that it almost could have got away with an iffy script or the odd dodgy performance, but for me it covered the whole spectrum of emotions, it was funny, it was tragic, the main players were all excellent, it was well paced, the characters were all interesting to me, in short, it was everything that I like in that sort of film. I can totally see that it's the sort of film that would split opinions though.

And it didn't have Ben Stiller in it.

Watch Rushmore (Which should be in my top 10) and The Life Aquatic (which would be in my top 20). Utter gems. TRT was a little up its own arse but I think got away with it. The two mentioned above are just excellent, Stiller in neither of them. Mr Anderson definitely grew up with Harold & Maude though as his films reek of it (in a good way).

The Darj LTD looked absolultely great but I couldnt get to grips with the characters, also the plot didnt deserve to suddenly be a tragic story.

Watch Rushmore (Which should be in my top 10) and The Life Aquatic (which would be in my top 20). Utter gems. TRT was a little up its own arse but I think got away with it. The two mentioned above are just excellent, Stiller in neither of them. Mr Anderson definitely grew up with Harold & Maude though as his films reek of it (in a good way).

The Darj LTD looked absolultely great but I couldnt get to grips with the characters, also the plot didnt deserve to suddenly be a tragic story.

I think it did. It took a real tragedy in their faces to shock the brothers into putting some perspective into their petty feuding. The bit at the end where they literally cast aside their baggage infuriated me though.

Ha ha No......Its Danis Tanovic movie about the Bosnian War, if you've never seen it, its an excellent film that's well worth a look

I had that on VHS for years, never got round to watching it. About 2 blokes in mans land on opposite sides isnt it?

I think it did. It took a real tragedy in their faces to shock the brothers into putting some perspective into their petty feuding. The bit at the end where they literally cast aside their baggage infuriated me though.

I'll watch it again, me missus hasnt seen an Anderson film which hopefully will lead on to a 5 film extraveganza. If not, I'll dump her.