You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa's Surrender

Yesterday something very strange happened to our club, for the first time in our history I think I witnessed one of our managers give up on a game by taking off his best players with 20 minutes to go and accepting a 3-1 defeat to another team.

He took off players hoping to keep them "fresh" for a CL game and to me he said right there which is more important - the league or the CL.

I am absolutely disgusted by what he did, he thew in the towel, he gave up on 3 points even though Reading have conceded hatfuls at home and all may well not have been lost.

He surrendered, some would argue that he surrendered even before the game started with his tactics and team selection but that's another story. I woke up today pissed off at the Hatton thing but at least he never gave up, he never surrendered to a fighter vastly superior to him, we on the other hand treated the fans who travelled miles with utter contempt.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday something very strange happened to our club, for the first time in our history I think I witnessed one of our managers give up on a game by taking off his best players with 20 minutes to go and accepting a 3-1 defeat to another team.

He took off players hoping to keep them "fresh" for a CL game and to me he said right there which is more important - the league or the CL.

I am absolutely disgusted by what he did, he thew in the towel, he gave up on 3 points even though Reading have conceded hatfuls at home and all may well not have been lost.

He surrendered, some would argue that he surrendered even before the game started with his tactics and team selection but that's another story. I woke up today pissed off at the Hatton thing but at least he never gave up, he never surrendered to a fighter vastly superior to him, we on the other hand treated the fans who travelled miles with utter contempt.

That is the exact conversation I had with my mate and some random bloke last night(the random bloke had a shaved head and a long beard by the way)

For fucks sake..

Taking Gerrard off in the derby did us no harm. He was on a yellow card and the crowd were winding him up and he was a sending off risk. Better to take him off, the player who replaced him should still have been able to do enough to get us into the game.

Torres had just got a knock, we have two inportant games coming up. Again its better not to risk him aggravating that injury for the next two ames. And again, the player who replaced him should still have been good enough to get us back into the game.

Carragher was replaced at a stage of the game when it really didnt matter, he was a yellow card away from suspension so why leave him on.

As for surrendering before the game, 3 strikers were selected for an away game. How the fuck is that surrender. I drove to the game, 420 miles round tripa nd the M6 was closed on the way back. i dont feel I was treated with contempt. It think it was just one of those days when things didnt go right. We hit the post and bar, generally controlled the game, but were undone by an abysmal penalty decision, goalkeeping mistake and breakaway goal.

Why Dave let you back on I'll never know, unless its because the the sponsors pay him by the post.

For fucks sake..

Taking Gerrard off in the derby did us no harm. He was on a yellow card and the crowd were winding him up and he was a sending off risk. Better to take him off, the player who replaced him should still have been able to do enough to get us into the game.

Torres had just got a knock, we have two inportant games coming up. Again its better not to risk him aggravating that injury for the next two ames. And again, the player who replaced him should still have been good enough to get us back into the game.

Carragher was replaced at a stage of the game when it really didnt matter, he was a yellow card away from suspension so why leave him on.

As for surrendering before the game, 3 strikers were selected for an away game. How the fuck is that surrender. I drove to the game, 420 miles round tripa nd the M6 was closed on the way back. i dont feel I was treated with contempt. It think it was just one of those days when things didnt go right. We hit the post and bar, generally controlled the game, but were undone by an abysmal penalty decision, goalkeeping mistake and breakaway goal.

Why Dave let you back on I'll never know, unless its because the the sponsors pay him by the post.

I can't comment on the match as I didn't see it, but I agree on Rashid. Last week he was tub-thumping on behalf of Rafa. A week later he is back on at him because we won a match. A more irritating poster there will never be.

It sums up Rafa's mindset and philosophy on football. He doesn't pick teams for the game we are about to play, he picks them with the next game in mind.

Surrendering a game with 30 minutes to play was a disgrace, what kind of message does that send to the players and fans?

It sums up Rafa's mindset and philosophy on football. He doesn't pick teams for the game we are about to play, he picks them with the next game in mind.

Surrendering a game with 30 minutes to play was a disgrace, what kind of message does that send to the players and fans?

He didn't "surrender" after 60 mins though. He took of Torres who appeared to take a hit to the ankle when he was brought down in the box. And kewell played very well when he came on instead of him.

The "surrender" came when, at 3-1 down, he took of Stevie Gerrard to keep him fresh for the next two huge games instead of having him wearing himself down chasing an unlikely point.

I can't comment on the match as I didn't see it, but I agree on Rashid. Last week he was tub-thumping on behalf of Rafa. A week later he is back on at him because we won a match. A more irritating poster there will never be.

Then don't open my threads dumbass. You have to be a pretty thick shit to keep reading stuff from someone so irritating. I mean if you had me on ignore noone has quoted me here, you just opened the thread for what?

I was tub-thumping for Rafa not to be sacked by two clueless Americans for reasons other than results but I have been consistent from day 1, failure to challenge for the league this season should see him get the sack.

Yesterday's surrender was an absolute disgrace.

Finally, anyone who thinks that by having 3 strikers on the pitch you are attacking is a bit thick twat. Barcelona play with one striker at a time, are they defensicve?

He didn't "surrender" after 60 mins though. He took of Torres who appeared to take a hit to the ankle when he was brought down in the box. And kewell played very well when he came on instead of him.

The "surrender" came when, at 3-1 down, he took of Stevie Gerrard to keep him fresh for the next two huge games instead of having him wearing himself down chasing an unlikely point.

He admitted after the game that at 3-1 it was difficult so decided to concentate on Marseille. That's a disgrace, the game wasn't lost, no PL game is lost at 3-1 with 20 minutes to go least of all to shite like Reading.

He admitted after the game that at 3-1 it was difficult so decided to concentate on Marseille. That's a disgrace, the game wasn't lost, no PL game is lost at 3-1 with 20 minutes to go least of all to shite like Reading.

0 points or 1 (unlikely) point doesn't make that much of a difference in the grander scheme of things. The must win games on tuesday and sunday are vital for both the season and Rafas job.

0 points or 1 (unlikely) point doesn't make that much of a difference in the grander scheme of things. The must win games on tuesday and sunday are vital for both the season and Rafas job.

The manager of Liverpool Football Club surrendered to Reading with 20 minutes to go, don't you dare fucking defend him. As for next Sunday, thats a league game just like yesterday - means the same thing.

I don't get some of you on here, disgraceful.

Can't believe Rashid is pretending to know more about football than Steve.

Where did I say that?

If Steve thinks having 3 strikers on the pitch is attacking than he is deluded. Houllier used to play Anelka, Owen and Heskey (with Keskey left) but we all knew it was shitehouse dog tactics.

Yesterday, everything was wrong and we saw the ugly side of rotation, tactics and team selection - and then the abject surrender.

The manager of Liverpool Football Club surrendered to Reading with 20 minutes to go, don't you dare fucking defend him. As for next Sunday, thats a league game just like yesterday - means the same thing.

I don't get some of you on here, disgraceful.

Why do you come on a debate forum if not to debate? If it's just to voice your opinion, I'd suggest you should find a bench in a park and stand on it and yell out your frustrations.

Finally, anyone who thinks that by having 3 strikers on the pitch you are attacking is a bit thick twat. Barcelona play with one striker at a time, are they defensicve?

Where did I say that?

If Steve thinks having 3 strikers on the pitch is attacking than he is deluded. Houllier used to play Anelka, Owen and Heskey (with Keskey left) but we all knew it was shitehouse dog tactics.

Yesterday, everything was wrong and we saw the ugly side of rotation, tactics and team selection - and then the abject surrender.

Like I say, you're really in no position to say anything to Steve when it comes to this club.

Looks around at the other posts and wonder who he could possibly be referring to. Why not highlight my post and say that like you've highlighted everyone elses. Next time your're at Anfield Rashid come and tell me to my face I'm a big thick twat.

Looks around at the other posts and wonder who he could possibly be referring to. Why not highlight my post and say that like you've highlighted everyone elses. Next time your're at Anfield Rashid come and tell me to my face I'm a big thick twat.

Is this the some sort of new thing on here, people meeting in face to face stand offs at dawn?

I didn't mean to call anyone names in the personal sense but do you honestly think that by having 3 strikers on the pitch it means we are attacking? Were we attacking against Arsenal Steve?

See, I respect you a lot, but you can't just be coming on here questionning why people aren't banned etc - it's kind of rude when it is unprovoked.

Rafa surrendered yesterday, are you saying he didn't?

Did Rafa surrender yesterday, yes or no?

He took a pragmatic approach when 3-1 down and twenty minutes to go in the week before two huge matches.

Before the killer third goal it looked as if he were to take Hobbs of and go with three at the back, but he changed his mind as he wouldn't wear down Gerrard to chase an unlikely point.

I know it's hard for you to grasp but things aren't always black or white.

He took a pragmatic approach when 3-1 down and twenty minutes to go in the week before two huge matches.

Before the killer third goal it looked as if he were to take Hobbs of and go with three at the back, but he changed his mind as he wouldn't wear down Gerrard to chase an unlikely point.

I know it's hard for you to grasp but things aren't always black or white.

Did he surrender the game yesterday at 3-1 down? I don't want to go round and round in circles... I think 3-1 down against utter shite is not an "unlikely" cause... we gave and then he says he wants to win the league a priority. He has ruined a good few weeks with just silliness.

Let me ask you a question: Would you rather have 1 point against Reading and a Gerrard not firing on all cylinders for the next two games, or 0 points and a fully fit Gerrard against Marseille and Man U?

Who is to say Gerrard wouldn't fire on all cylinders though? He has just had 8 world class games on the trot. You are putting in scenarios that don't exist.

I think mentality is the key, if we are to get the players thinking the league is priority then we should play our best players and system in league games. And if we are down, we should do everything to get something back, even a draw psychologically was good as we would remain unbeaten.

Instead he surrendered for the "bigger prize" - football is a funny game, if we don't get the win against Marseille then Reading will have been a worse disaster.