You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Buying bikes (bicycles, not loose women)

Paul

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can yo help a guy out with a big head? And no dirty jokes you pervs. I would like to get a XL helmet, stop laughing perverts, has the normal adult helmets don't fit my head. I've googled, but can't find anything for the right size!

:$:$:$

Proof indeed, that there is a God.

I know you're only kidding, but we really did pray about selling our house. We asked God to bring the right people, and when we saw this couple and their little boy it all seemed so right. For all we know it might yet all fall through, but we have a great sense of peace and serenity about everything. We try to pray about most things, and I know that probably sounds like jargon, but it's true. I still don't have a job lined up yet, so we're asking God about that too. We are very much at peace about things, and we trust it will all work out well.

I know you're only kidding, but we really did pray about selling our house. We asked God to bring the right people, and when we saw this couple and their little boy it all seemed so right. For all we know it might yet all fall through, but we have a great sense of peace and serenity about everything. We try to pray about most things, and I know that probably sounds like jargon, but it's true. I still don't have a job lined up yet, so we're asking God about that too. We are very much at peace about things, and we trust it will all work out well.

If we don't get any more viewing soon, I might give it a whirl.

Its either that or reduce the price (there would be a smiley here if they didn't offend me so)

Good luck Paul, that sounds like a great bike.

I spent about £400 on mine 2 years ago (no tax back scheme though) and I've never regretted spending that much - the less you spend, the cheaper the parts and the more trouble you'll have, eg gears that constantly slip. Mine's been very reliable so far, it's a Specialzed hybrid.

I want to get one of these conversions though

300px-Xtracycle.jpgXtracycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - apparently you can get 2 people on the back and carry up to 200lb. cool.

I too went for the April tax free thing. Its ace. And i look horny on a gentlemens bike along the seafront every morning. Best thing about cycling in the summer? Ladies bottoms and cleavage.

*looks at watch* shit, dont think I can make my 7:45 start this morning.

How long is it since you rode a bike regularly ? Borrow one first to get a taster otherwise this will be 800 quids worth of clutter in your garage after a couple of months. Oh , do NOT go to Halfords, be warned..............

Bit late for that mate - I rode it home yesterday.

When I was in my teens, I cycled everywhere. My lifestyle now won't allow that (kids can't both get on the back), but I will cycle to work two days a week and also go out cycling with a mate.

No it wasn't. It was shit - just like Remmie and his shitty £200 Tesco tearaway bike.
Very poor wind up attempt. For someone who works in a school, watches the Wire and listens to hip hop your smack talking really sucks.

Shine my shoe you shoe-shine fuck!

I had to cycle to work this week as my car was in for the old MOT.

So I throw the road bike in the back of the car, off to garage then off to work.

Now I have a quite nice Carrera road bike and it was 8 ish miles each way with some tasty hill at the end. Why do all downward hills have sharp bends of t junctions at the bottom.....

Road tyres are shit for the pot holes that make up the roads round here. I was knackered by the time i got to work. I managed to keep over 15mph all the way but it seemed slow for a fat bastard non bike rider like me.

Trip back to garage was great and car passed mot with only a bulb and a wiper bland needed so only £60. Result.

Not sure I want to try the whole 14 miles to work though. That will take a hour....

Bit late for that mate - I rode it home yesterday.

When I was in my teens, I cycled everywhere. My lifestyle now won't allow that (kids can't both get on the back), but I will cycle to work two days a week and also go out cycling with a mate.[/quote

Just about to start riding my bike again , damaged an Achilles tendon a couple of years ago and was too scared to risk damaging it further until now. Road bike has been converted to flat bar and I'll be out on it on Sunday........

• 1 month later...
I had to cycle to work this week as my car was in for the old MOT.

So I throw the road bike in the back of the car, off to garage then off to work.

Now I have a quite nice Carrera road bike and it was 8 ish miles each way with some tasty hill at the end. Why do all downward hills have sharp bends of t junctions at the bottom.....

Road tyres are shit for the pot holes that make up the roads round here. I was knackered by the time i got to work. I managed to keep over 15mph all the way but it seemed slow for a fat bastard non bike rider like me.

Trip back to garage was great and car passed mot with only a bulb and a wiper bland needed so only £60. Result.

Not sure I want to try the whole 14 miles to work though. That will take a hour....

That made me laugh. Very true, dunno why though. :yes:

• 4 months later...

A few mates of mine go mountain biking fairly regular and I was thinking of getting involved in the summer. Some good recommendations on here (cheers Bri for the links above); but can anyone give me a rough idea at how much I'd be looking at to pick up a 'beginners' bike?

£500 will get you a decent entry level mountain bike, might be a good time of year to look as a lot of shops will be looking to offload their 2008 models. Whilst online shops can offer good value unless you know exactly what bike you want it will always be best to try a local shop and that way get a feel for the bike before you part with your cash. Also steer clear of full suspension unless you are looking around the £1000 mark.

Also steer clear of full suspension unless you are looking around the £1000 mark.

That's what I was told when I got mine.

I spent about £500 on a Giant, has served me well.