You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Buying bikes (bicycles, not loose women)

Paul

Mrs Paul and I have asked for contributions towards bikes as Christmas pressies this year and I'm after some advice, please. We want mountain bike style ones and will probably have six or seven hundred quid to spend on them (possibly more, but deffo no more than £800). The criteria are as follows:

• ideally the lighter the better.
  • some way of putting our three year old daughter on the back of Mrs Paul's.
  • a towing option for mine in order to allow the non-bike riding, but massive and very heavy six year old to come with us.
  • something to put him in, or preferably on, while he's towed.
  • some way of fixing the bikes to the car (a Volvo V40, if that's relevant).
  • the possibility of attaching a bag of some sort to one or both of the bikes for supplies of food and assorted child-related paraphernalia.
  • recommended local shops or websites.

Cheers.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm into road bikes not mountain bikes. What I did was, go into a shop, take some advice, see what recommendations they made and then I went home to find if I could get the same bike on the internet cheaper.

When I say mountain bike, I just mean aesthetically. They'll get used on paths and tracks and the like, but not really in serious off-road terrain. What I'm not interested in is something that looks like what we used to call racers when we were kids. After all, I've got to keep it real, yo.

I am a mountain biker, Paul. What sort of trails do you plan to ride?

edit: Oh? Just farting around? Try to get a rigid XC bike. They'll be the lightest and good climbers. It's important that you look for a "Cross Country" bike because they are built for long rides, climbing, etc.

If you purchase a bike with the wrong geometry you can make your life hell.

When I say mountain bike, I just mean aesthetically. They'll get used on paths and tracks and the like, but not really in serious off-road terrain. What I'm not interested in is something that looks like what we used to call racers when we were kids. After all, I've got to keep it real, yo.

Aye, a racer is a road bike.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com

They have a shop in Manchester. I'd suggest getting the six year old a bike and work on said child to not be 'very heavy'.

How? There's no fat on him. He's just massive for his age and has a huge frame. I'm working on the assumption that we will get him a bike, but it needs to be one that I can tow (I believe they have such things these days). Otherwise we'll be cycling at a six year old's pace and where's the fun (or progress) in that?

• 7 months later...

Just ridden my brand new Marin Nail Trail home from Birkenhead Cycles. I used the government's cycle to work scheme which offsets the cost against tax. I got an £800 bike, car rack, helmet, lock, pump and seat pack for £43 a month for 12 months. £950 worth of stuff for about half price. Woo-fucking-hoo!!!

Have a fucking cookie.

I spent £200 on my bike and I travel every day to work on it. There's no need to spend that much, but when you are moneybags Nattonicci (name amended to protect the somewhat innocent), forever Sky plussing I guess that's no considerations.

Have a fucking cookie.

I spent £200 on my bike and I travel every day to work on it. There's no need to spend that much, but when you are moneybags Nattonicci (name amended to protect the somewhat innocent), forever Sky plussing I guess that's no considerations.

Oh fucking hell. Yet another one with piss-on-chips-itis. I wanted something that was very light, good quality and will last for years. I thought Lord Remminton McBargain could at least appreciate a £400 saving at the taxman's expense.

Oh fucking hell. Yet another one with piss-on-chips-itis. I wanted something that was very light, good quality and will last for years. I thought Lord Remminton McBargain could at least appreciate a £400 saving at the taxman's expense.

I'm cancelling the gym membership to pay for the bike, but I've actually saved up the money to buy it anyway.

*Mumbles to self*

"Fucking Remmie. How the fuck can someone with the toff-est name in he world ever have so many hang ups about money?"

PS - just sold my bike tonight on ebay. Raleigh something or other. Did the job, but it had to go as part of our 'everything must go' sale!

House sold yesterday too. Poor market, but the clincher was a snooker/diner we bought when we moved to Northampton. Nice piece of furniture, great slate bed snooker table underneath. Bit big for a suitcae though. They offered £2,500 more than the last offer we accepted (which fell through) so I didn't mind letting them have the table.

evanscycles.com are pretty good.

you might consider a hybrid, cross between road and mountain.

If you go mountain bike you can always put slick tiers on it when you want.

For around £550 you can get a decent piece of kit.

Also check out wiggle.co.uk and the focus range of bikes. They are an online shop so you'll need to go get sized up and then buy online.

Specialized are pretty decent and for hat money you'd be looking at the rockhopper.

Also look at the ride to work scheme and the discount available.

House sold yesterday too. Poor market, but the clincher was a snooker/diner we bought when we moved to Northampton. Nice piece of furniture, great slate bed snooker table underneath. Bit big for a suitcae though. They offered £2,500 more than the last offer we accepted (which fell through) so I didn't mind letting them have the table.

Mine has been on 5 weeks, and we've had 3 viewings. Its a damn fine house, doesn't need any work, all "house doctored" etc.

Proof indeed, that there is a God.