You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Are you afraid of dying?

Thants

Well?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I came across this book by chance in a shitarse little cafe in India and was fairly mesmerised. Cites how Eastern cultures generally speaking have a more grown-up attitude to dying, and feel there's kind of an art to arriving at your death in a measured and graceful way through coming to terms with it as an important and essential part of the whole deal, rather than turning a blind eye to this inevitability for time then freaking out right at the end.

I recommended it to my old Doctor when he left to work in end-of-life care with a local cancer hospice. He emailed me later on to say it's one of the most meaningful and practical references he's ever come across, and completely invaluable to the work he now does.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both my parents passed away within 5 months of each other.I wasnt there when my Dad died.I was watching my son playing football,under 8's.My Mrs got a call while we were at the match from my neice.My Mrs looked at me when she took the call and I knew my Dad had died.

She said that we had to go.I said no,we have to wait until the game finishes.

My lad scored about 5 or so minutes after,it was the best goal I have ever seen.

Both my parents passed away within 5 months of each other.I wasnt there when my Dad died.I was watching my son playing football,under 8's.My Mrs got a call while we were at the match from my neice.My Mrs looked at me when she took the call and I knew my Dad had died.

My lad scored about 5 or so minutes after,it was the best goal I have ever seen.

No fear

My dad isn't so good at the moment. I liked this story.

It goes in cycles. I can go years without thinking about it much and then have periods (not those kind) when it scares me shitless....not the dying (because I wouldn't be dead then) but the 'when its done, there ain't no more' bit. I'm trying to ignore one of those phases just now

i cant be arsed with a painful death like but if it was just an off switch and thats it then i'm not afraid.

what i dont like is the idea of not being able to (forgive the FF on the GF) watch the reds or know how we have done after i have gone? also not being able to listen to my favourite tune, or bang women..... or eat ham salad and salad cream butties.

fuck off death you cunt.

I'm more worried about what she'd do with my collection of woodworking tools, like sell them to the first passing pikey who'll weigh them in for scrap. Or my adidas trainees which would probably end up going with her mate to Africa where no fucker has big enough feet to fit them.

Alternately, if I'm not the first to shuffle off, there's the glee of handing out a bunch of expensive handbags to the women's refuge safe in the knowledge that they'll all be sold / swapped for skag within the hour.

It's been said earlier, but if being dead is being in a state which is the same as prior to being born, then we won't know anything about it. What scares me is getting old and losing the things around you that make "you"; people and loved ones, physical ability, mental sharpness, etc.

I'm agnostic. I hope for something. I hope to see my grandparents again, I just don't see how that is possible. But I hope.

Great read this thread, I never looked on the GF for years, missed this - anyone heard from Aikido?

Still here bro! I’m actually getting married on May 5th. Guess my life is officially over then anyways, eh?

I’ve still been lucky with my multiple sclerosis, no relapses or major episodes yet. Unrelated to my MS, I did have vascular surgery in December 2011. I had a three inch stent placed in my right jugular vein. That was a very weird sensation indeed. I had to be awake for the procedure in which they enter through the femoral artery in your groin area and thread a catheter up and into your jugular vein. After 45 minutes or so, the surgeon told me that they couldn’t get into the vein and were going to go in through my neck instead. Fifteen minutes later they had my neck opened and inserted a stent in my jugular vein. Crazy the stuff they can do nowadays.

Having said all this, I was thinking about the finality of death the other night and became completely overwhelmed, what I can only relate to as a panic attack. The thought of not seeing loved ones again when they die, or my own death freaked me out. The sheer randomness of life is some scary shit indeed. I suppose I should feel lucky to have already lived for 44 years, what with all the random horrible shit that happens every day on the planet.

Having said all this, I was thinking about the finality of death the other night and became completely overwhelmed, what I can only relate to as a panic attack. The thought of not seeing loved ones again when they die, or my own death freaked me out. The sheer randomness of life is some scary shit indeed. I suppose I should feel lucky to have already lived for 44 years, what with all the random horrible shit that happens every day on the planet.

Its times like these that I wish I had some kind of faith to provide some kind of structure and comfort to it all. But I just dont

Yeah buddy - good to hear. Seem young for all this. For me I think it would be more about how it would affect my kids - and my wife. If it is just lights out and the curtain falls, not so bad. Do not like the movie script where you see through the curtain how others in your life have to carry on, talk about you etc. too heart wrenching.

Where are you in NJ? I lived there for years - Iceman off of here is up in Hoboken I know.

Yeah buddy - good to hear. Seem young for all this. For me I think it would be more about how it would affect my kids - and my wife. If it is just lights out and the curtain falls, not so bad. Do not like the movie script where you see through the curtain how others in your life have to carry on, talk about you etc. too heart wrenching.

Where are you in NJ? I lived there for years - Iceman off of here is up in Hoboken I know.

Somerset County, North Plainfield.

The thought of death doesn't really bother me to be honest.Id rather it was on my own terms and not some long lingering illness though.

I'd like to believe there is something afterwards,be it a afterlife or rebirth.Nit sure what I believe but enjoy reading some of the Asian religious/philosophy books from time to time.

I do believe there is some kind of sand timer(can't think of another way to put it) and when your times up that your lot.

Its always bothered me, but now it actually scares me since my son was born just over a year ago. Reason being, you don't remember much of the first two or three of years of your life, if I was to pop off now he wouldn't remember me. Proper puts a lump in my throat the thought of him having to be told how much his daddy loved him when he's old enough to understand.

I've quit drinking and smoking since I found out we were having him. Just need to exercise more and shift the spare tyre. If I live long enough for him to remember me, I think I'd be ok if my number came up then.

I think when you get really old that a part of you actually looks forward to death.

Having spoken to my nan in the years leading up to her death, as she gradually made less and less sense it seemed certain that life was just not that much fun anymore and it had become something of an ordeal.

Its always bothered me, but now it actually scares me since my son was born just over a year ago. Reason being, you don't remember much of the first two or three of years of your life, if I was to pop off now he wouldn't remember me. Proper puts a lump in my throat the thought of him having to be told how much his daddy loved him when he's old enough to understand.

I've quit drinking and smoking since I found out we were having him. Just need to exercise more and shift the spare tyre. If I live long enough for him to remember me, I think I'd be ok if my number came up then.

I know what you mean.I remember very little about the only two Grandparents I ever "knew".My Paternal Grandad died 14 years before I was born and my Maternal Nana died 3 years later.The other two died when I was 5 and 7 years old.My kids have no Grandparents and my youngest was born just over a month after my Dad died,who we named him after.As I have said my Mam died five months later.I do think you miss out not having Grandparents growing up as they have a different perspective to parents.

We do have lots of videos and pictures of them which obviously wasn't the case years ago.Losing my Mam and Dad has had a profound effect on me and the way I view life ,and death.

Don't worry mate.Just love your son and he will never forget you... whatever happens.