You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Are you afraid of dying?

Thants

Well?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear your news RR. Lots of love x

I 'died' just after giving birth to my son. It was the most indescribably beautiful experience of my life. I'll never worry about dying again. In fact, I'm quite looking forward to it when the time comes. I do worry about leaving my kids behind though. The thought of it terrifies me, which is exceptionally arrogant.

I 'died' just after giving birth to my son. It was the most indescribably beautiful experience of my life. I'll never worry about dying again. In fact, I'm quite looking forward to it when the time comes. I do worry about leaving my kids behind though. The thought of it terrifies me, which is exceptionally arrogant.

Explain please Liz!

whatity what?

Dying is not trumping.

Explain please Liz!

While I was giving birth, I burst a blood vessel in my cervix. The midwife called for a doctor and by the time he got there I'd already lost loads of blood. At first I felt quite panicky, because it's obvious that lying in pints of your own blood isn't good, but then I started to feel quite floaty. Not in a floating up above the bed and looking down on yourself way. Just really, really chilled out. I can't explain it because 'chilled-out' doesn't come close. Imagine the most happy, relaxed, loved, drugged-up state you can and multiply it by a billion and it still wouldn't come close. It was awesome.

I knew I was dying and I wasn't scared at all. I was anxious for it to come quicker, because the feeling kept getting stronger. I said to my ex "I'm going to die now. Look after the boys for me". He was hysterical and the doctor was shouting and then I lost conciousness.

I didn't see a tunnel or dead relatives or anything, but it was like developing another sense. It wasn't sight or touch, but more an awareness that I wasn't on my own, and this absolutely overwhelming feeling of 'love' (for want of a better word). It didn't last long because I'd been brought round, but even when they brought me back I could still feel myself drifting off again.

As I came round the doctor was shouting at the midwife "Where's the baby? Where's the baby?" and she was looking at him like he was a dickhead as if to say "This woman's bleeding to death, what does it matter where the baby is?". Anyway, another midwife pointed to the corner and he ran over and picked Callum up and ran back over to the bed with him.

He was shouting at me "Liz, look at your baby!", and I feel a right bitch saying this now, but I wouldn't open my eyes because I knew if I saw him I'd want to stay, and I didn't want to stay, I really want to die. The doctor kept shouting and slapping my face and in the end he opened my eye with his fingers, and he had Callum right in front of my face. He was saying "He needs you. He needs his Mummy". And the split second I saw him, it was all over, and I felt back to normal.

The next day the doctor came to see me in intensive care, and I asked him about how he knew to do what he did with Callum. He said that it'd happened a few times before, and he'd heard amazing stories from women about what they'd experienced, and that in all cases a mothers' inherent need to care for her child was the thing that had kept them alive.

It goes to show how much of a factor a person's will to live has over their survival. I know scientists would say that it was caused by chemical releases in the brain. I don't know what it was, although I do believe in God. Whatever it was, I feel very blessed for having experienced it.

While I was giving birth, I burst a blood vessel in my cervix. The midwife called for a doctor and by the time he got there I'd already lost loads of blood. At first I felt quite panicky, because it's obvious that lying in pints of your own blood isn't good, but then I started to feel quite floaty. Not in a floating up above the bed and looking down on yourself way. Just really, really chilled out. I can't explain it because 'chilled-out' doesn't come close. Imagine the most happy, relaxed, loved, drugged-up state you can and multiply it by a billion and it still wouldn't come close. It was awesome.

I knew I was dying and I wasn't scared at all. I was anxious for it to come quicker, because the feeling kept getting stronger. I said to my ex "I'm going to die now. Look after the boys for me". He was hysterical and the doctor was shouting and then I lost conciousness.

I didn't see a tunnel or dead relatives or anything, but it was like developing another sense. It wasn't sight or touch, but more an awareness that I wasn't on my own, and this absolutely overwhelming feeling of 'love' (for want of a better word). It didn't last long because I'd been brought round, but even when they brought me back I could still feel myself drifting off again.

As I came round the doctor was shouting at the midwife "Where's the baby? Where's the baby?" and she was looking at him like he was a dickhead as if to say "This woman's bleeding to death, what does it matter where the baby is?". Anyway, another midwife pointed to the corner and he ran over and picked Callum up and ran back over to the bed with him.

He was shouting at me "Liz, look at your baby!", and I feel a right bitch saying this now, but I wouldn't open my eyes because I knew if I saw him I'd want to stay, and I didn't want to stay, I really want to die. The doctor kept shouting and slapping my face and in the end he opened my eye with his fingers, and he had Callum right in front of my face. He was saying "He needs you. He needs his Mummy". And the split second I saw him, it was all over, and I felt back to normal.

The next day the doctor came to see me in intensive care, and I asked him about how he knew to do what he did with Callum. He said that it'd happened a few times before, and he'd heard amazing stories from women about what they'd experienced, and that in all cases a mothers' inherent need to care for her child was the thing that had kept them alive.

It goes to show how much of a factor a person's will to live has over their survival. I know scientists would say that it was caused by chemical releases in the brain. I don't know what it was, although I do believe in God. Whatever it was, I feel very blessed for having experienced it.

Stunned really.

Thank you for sharing that.

My wife had trouble with our second and I felt helpless at the low point

wow

Going for a sit down now

Profoundly moving SKI & very helpful to me personally.

My mum died in August . We were told she would never recover after an operation & basically sat in Fazakerley Hospital for 3 days waiting for her to die. The situation of sitting around the bedside , in effect hoping the monitor readings would reduce & she would drift away was by far the worst experience of my life.

I have no real religious convictions unlike my 2 sisters ( and especially my mum ) , but your story has given me renewed hope that there is a place of peace for her.

The thought of my own death doesn't bother me at all, but I very occasionally get a horrible sickening feeling about losing Mrs Paul and the kids. It's usually if they've been somewhere and are late back without phoning. I just get this horrible fucking gnawing sense of dread which I know is entirely irrational, but I can't shake. I have to go and get in the mix with the volume cranked right up so I can't hear myself think.

I also can't read stuff in the press about horrible shit happening to kids (despite having to deal with it professionally). It's weird - I've never been a worrier or squeamish, but having a family changes everything.

Class post Liz.

I'm not afraid of dying. It's just thinking of when the time will come of me either lying in a pool of blood myself, or being on a hospital bed telling my loved ones I love them and that it's my time to go. You see, I've lost so many people close to me that I've developed a believing in an afterlife, a heaven, a life after death. I always think about when I die ill be reunited with people I've lost and people who I miss so dearly. Dad, grandad, nana to name a few who i'll have loads of catching up when my time eventually does come.

It might be naive of me to say that I'm not scared of death, you have to be stupid to say that. But, when my time does come, ill have people who love me waiting on the other side.

People believe death is the end. Death isn't the end, death is just a change.

I'm scared to death about it. :whistle:

Nah seriously, my good mates mum died of cancer yesterday and its really got me worrying. It could happen to any of us at any time in our lives, and it scares the crap out of me.

The fact that I have so much left of my life to live and could pop off at any time worries me, but the worst thing is that I find it hard to believe there is an afterlife so once we have gone we are just... nothing.

Coincidentally, Dont Fear the Reaper just started playing on my playlist.

The thought of my own death doesn't bother me at all, but I very occasionally get a horrible sickening feeling about losing Mrs Paul and the kids. It's usually if they've been somewhere and are late back without phoning. I just get this horrible fucking gnawing sense of dread which I know is entirely irrational, but I can't shake. I have to go and get in the mix with the volume cranked right up so I can't hear myself think.

I tend to get that feeling quite a bit, not nice at all.

Liz - very moving post, still doesn't stop me being scared shitless about death though.

I fear death.

I have seen(I was there) both my parents and my father in law die and I have seen how much pain it leaves behind as well as the pain on those dying.

My main fear is when I look at my kids I think about not being there when they either score a goal,win a dance contest or wake up on Chrsitmas morning.It gives me a sick feeling inside.

That's a grat post Liz. Science explains that feeling as the release of a chemical, the name of which escapes me right now.

I'm not scared of dying, I just hope I am ready when it comes. I don't think there is anything to come afterwards, so I'd just like to be tired enough to accept death.

"Though lovers be lost, love shall not, and death shall have no dominion."

The way I see it, there are 2 options. The first one being that there is an afterlife (which is my own personal belief), and the second that near death experiences are chemically induced. Worst case scenario is that the second is is the case, and after death there is nothingness. Even if this is true, the actual process of dying is a wonderful one. I was tired last night and didn't convey the actual enormity and wonder of this feeling.

I would go so far as to say that even if you'd lived 80 years of pure shit on earth, those few moments would more than make up for it. And even if there is no afterlife, I hope it brings comfort to those of you who've lost loved ones to know that when the end came, they weren't scared or in pain, and they actually died feeling more happiness and peace (and pride, I forgot to put that but there was a huge sense of "Yeah, I've done a great job") than they had ever experienced.

The reason we're frightened by death is our own ego. We don't like the thought that life will go on without us. When I had cancer, I was more scared that my kids would grow up and not be able to remember me than anything else. I know if anything happened to me they'd be looked after, but I hated the thought that I wouldn't have an influence on their lives, which is disgustingly control-freakish, but true. I was also scared that I'd wasted so many chances, and I might not get a chance to make up for it.

It's going to happen to us all eventually so make the most of what you have and don't take life for granted.

It's going to happen to us all eventually so make the most of what you have and don't take life for granted.

Amen to that Mrs M; it sounds like a cliché, but life is indeed for living, and when I do eventually shuffle off to the great unknown I want to do so having done my best to live.

Grab chances when you get them chaps; the only thing worse than "not being able to" must be "regretting not doing". Catullus had a few words to say about that, the wise old fucker.

The only thing that scares me about death is that I think that it's 100% over when we die, black, nothing, just like sleep without dreams. So, when I die I will never find out what death is like. And that question is afterall the one question most people would like the answer to. But we won't. I think.

That said; more than 50% of all people who has ever lived, still lives. So, statistically we can still survive life.