You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Are you afraid of dying?

Thants

Well?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think about it at all but I'm only young. The thing that worries me is that I've lost people close to me in circumstances that I wouldn't wish on anyone, yet I don't give them enough thought. When other family members are discussing these things I just don't want to be involved in the conversation. I don't think I'm subconsciously blocking it out, I genuinely believe I'm a heartless bastard. Its like I just can't be arsed to have the conversations that make everyone else feel better.

I'm a Humanist (most of the time these days I write and conduct non-religious ceremonies - mainly funerals) so I don't believe in any life after death. I do believe in the wonder of this life and the incredible story of science and evolution that led to animals and humans and I like Philip Pulman's words :

"Even if death means oblivion, friends, I'll welcome it, because it won't be nothing; we'll be alive again in a thousand blades of grass, and a million leaves, we'll be falling in the raindrops and blowing in the fresh breeze, we'll be glittering in the dew under the stars and the moon, out there in the physical world which is our true home and always was."

Aaaaah........

"Death hides no secret; it opens no door; it is the end of a person. What survives is what he or she has given to other people - what stays in their memory" - Norbert Elias

Guest San Don

Nah, not one bit. Dont think there are any great big fluffy white clouds and angels playing harps either.

You just end up feeding worms or being scattered to the four winds when its all over.

I still feel the same way about death and my thoughts about not wanting to have shit health have been brought home a little by two years of injury. I know that might sound strange but creaking joints and poor quality of life were always things that I didn't want but were miles off into the future. Just not being able to do one of the things I love the most, that's playing football, due to injury, has brought home how important health is to keeping your options, and therefore your quality of life.

I fear people around me dying but worse than that is that I worry about the people my missus cares for dying. Her mum has MS and that is a big train of inevitable pain that I don't want to hit her, but it will, and I can't stop it, which pisses me off. The role of the impotent protector.

I think experiencing the death of a close friend early in my life has given me a wonderful gift of perspective.

I don't fear the event of my death whatsoever, unless it's something really horrible like drowning.

I don't worry about dying so much but about dying prematurely.

I dont think thats being scared of dying rather then being scared of not having lived!

I Quoted these two because they sum up exactly what I fear about it all, plently of others said similar but these were on the first page.

As long as I'm fullfilled when I go, then it will be fine by me, whenever that time comes. Could be in 20 years, or 70 years (although I don't much like the idea of being that old!), whether it is premature would depend on what i've experienced. What it is that I need to do to become fulfilled, I have no idea at this stage. I'm still very young, I don't really have a clue what I'm going to do with my life, so what I need to get out of it will change a lot and hopefully become clearer over the next few years. Right now, lots of travelling, seeing great places, meeting great people, and just generally having fun would do me, but I suppose that's a natural thing to think when you're younger. Maybe when I've done all of those things, I'll see that as just a stage of growing up, and I'll go on to seek fullfilment in other ways, maybe focusing on a career or having a family of my own. Fuck knows.

I have a big fear losing my loved ones though, but I've been fortunate to have never experienced grief of someone close to me, so some of that is fear of the unknown. No idea how I would deal with it.

My Mum wasn't well a few months ago, luckily she was treated well and quickly, and it didn't become to serious. Still, it was a big reminder of how important it is to be good to loved ones, and not to take them for granted.

What I would really hate is losing someone who I haven't treated as well as I should, and never have the chance to put it right. Same goes for when I die.

Really good thread this, has got me thinking, especially by writing it out. If anything, so far i've been more afraid to live properly than die. That needs to change as I'm only gonna be young once, and it isn't gonna last for ever.

Also, that's a great a very personal story from SKI, thanks for sharing.

Ideally, as my signature says, when I die I hope to come back as a spirit and bum my enemies to death, like in that film 'Ghost'.

This thread is awesome by the way, I'm happy to see lots of people have the same feelings as me towards death - not the bumming to death but the fear of the unknown, fear of leaving things behind etc.

I've told my family to make if I die its known I am an organ doner and to sure if I end up quadrospazzed on a life glug they empty my bank account and take me to Dignitas.

I fear being quadraplegic or monged via a motorbike crash more than death I think. I'd like clean kill and I hope I drop some good loot.

I still feel the same way about death and my thoughts about not wanting to have shit health have been brought home a little by two years of injury. I know that might sound strange but creaking joints and poor quality of life were always things that I didn't want but were miles off into the future. Just not being able to do one of the things I love the most, that's playing football, due to injury, has brought home how important health is to keeping your options, and therefore your quality of life.

I fear people around me dying but worse than that is that I worry about the people my missus cares for dying. Her mum has MS and that is a big train of inevitable pain that I don't want to hit her, but it will, and I can't stop it, which pisses me off. The role of the impotent protector.

I think experiencing the death of a close friend early in my life has given me a wonderful gift of perspective.

I got diagnosed with M.S. just over two years ago.

Since then I've had two M.R.I.'s that showed the disease has progressed on my brain with new Lesions each year.

The thing is, I don't have any symptoms yet, but I know it's around the corner at some stage. I had optic neuritis, that's all so far.

Having said that, I don't fear death and I don't believe in an after life or a supreme being. I figure worrying about it is pointless and a mute point. I have faith in my doctors and researchers. Death is just a part of life. I've always pictured it consuming me before I knew it was there.

I know it's bad form to mention f**tball on the GF, but I'd die a happy man to see Liverpool win the league again :thumbup:

Since then I've had two M.R.I.'s that showed the disease has progressed on my brain with new Lesions each year.

The thing is, I don't have any symptoms yet, but I know it's around the corner at some stage. I had optic neuritis, that's all so far.

Having said that, I don't fear death and I don't believe in an after life or a supreme being. I figure worrying about it is pointless and a mute point. I have faith in my doctors and researchers. Death is just a part of life. I've always pictured it consuming me before I knew it was there.

I know it's bad form to mention f**tball on the GF, but I'd die a happy man to see Liverpool win the league again :thumbup:

Surely even Fuge won't neg for that. Sorry to hear man, shit's not nice. Here's hoping you get your wish. All the best.

Ah, the GF. Back when we used to discuss interesting topics and everyone wasn't at each other's throats...

Shut it you!!

The thing I always feel guilty about is how much I try to block out other peoples deaths, my uncle died fairly young recently and I spent his entire funeral singing songs in my head and trying to think of bands that started with each letter of the alphabet, that kind of thing. I also walked straight through the little room they set aside afterwards to pay respects as I don't like seeing other people upset.

Which makes me worry about how hard it's going to hit me once my Mum or Dad go and I have to face it full on, which makes me feel guilty about being selfish and so on and so on....

Have you arrived at this state of calm gradually, mate, or was it something you felt right from the off?

I'm listening to Videotape by Radiohead as I type this, quite apt. Come to think of it, the fact that Thom Yorke might die, and never make any new music, is one that scares me more than my own death. Way more.

-kCKob1YKOU&feature=related

No, I was mad angry at first. But there's nobody to blame.

The worst part is not knowing how, where or when the disease will progress. Or how fast. It's not quite like a tumor you hope can be cut out. It's a silly waiting game.

That took a decent year to overcome. Now I realize it's more important to continue with life as normal as possible, and push those thoughts out of my head. There's far worse things happening to better people than me. Plus you'll just go mad wallowing in self pity and bring down all the loved ones around you.

Brilliant song by the way.

I couldn't give a shit about dying, been there, done that, got the scars to prove it.

When I smashed myself to bits in a car accident back in 92 when I had a head on with an artic, I was rebooted as they took me out of the car (shock), again in the air ambulance (again shock of having my leg dragged back together) and for a final time when I was dead for nearly 4 minutes in A+E(blood loss).

There's fuck all after this so why worry about it. Most people aren't scared of dying but scared of leaving everyone behind.

If I get told I am terminally ill I will make my peace with who I need to and take myself out in my way and on my terms. I also want to be buried at see. firstly I don't want to be buried as there's little enough space for that as it is, I don't want to be cremated and if I'm buried at see noone can dance on my grave.

Guest Pistonbroke

My way of looking at this is pretty simple. If there is life after death then hopefully it won't be on a planet full of odious cunts like this one.

If there is no life after death then i won't know fuck all about it.

Not frightened of dying, but if i were tied to a chair of some mafia gang who had a case full of nasty tools then i'd probably change my mind. Still not frightened of death mind, just the way i'm going to die.

• 2 years later...

Heard something interesting today...

When you die, your brain lights up as a Christmas tree. It spews out dopamine and basically puts you in a euphoric state to combat the fact that you're about to die.

During the short seconds that your brain goes into overdrive mode, it's very much possible that you experience an "afterlife". When your brain is so high on chemicals and hormones, time becomes irrelevant, and it's very much possible that you get to spend what feels like an eternity in a euphoric, heaven-like state.

Wouldn't that be nice?

Heard something interesting today...

When you die, your brain lights up as a Christmas tree. It spews out dopamine and basically puts you in a euphoric state to combat the fact that you're about to die.

During the short seconds that your brain goes into overdrive mode, it's very much possible that you experience an "afterlife". When your brain is so high on chemicals and hormones, time becomes irrelevant, and it's very much possible that you get to spend what feels like an eternity in a euphoric, heaven-like state.

Wouldn't that be nice?

this happened to me in the paradox in aintree in 98. 1st mitzy turbo i think. its boss.

If I wanted to go out with a laugh, I'd do the following:

Get to the top of a tall building, take some piano wire and super glue. Noose the piano wire around your neck and then super glue your palms to the side of your head.

Jump.

You will land, dead and it will look like you pulled your own head off. Do it near a school for bonus points.