You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Seagulls

moxter

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

The two closely related species you're likely to encounter in the city centre, herring gulls and lesser black-backed gulls, are both declining in numbers in this country. One of the reasons for that is over-fishing. We've been stealing their food so it's not a surprise that they would be forced to resort to stealing ours.

I used to work in an office that actually had opening windows (bloody luxury). One of my mates would always collect the leftover biscuits at the end of meetings and put them on the window ledge for the gulls. It got to the point where one particular herring gull would regularly turn up and start tapping on the window, looking for bickies.

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I used to work in an office that actually had opening windows (bloody luxury). One of my mates would always collect the leftover biscuits at the end of meetings and put them on the window ledge for the gulls. It got to the point where one particular herring gull would regularly turn up and start tapping on the window, looking for bickies.

A load of people in the royal last week feed them through the windows. There's millions of them and despite food times being all over the place, as soon as the trolley would come out on the ward, they'd be swooping to the windows. 

IMG_20220117_103645.jpg

• Upvote 1

My office now is down by the docks. When the dock waters drop, it exposes all the mussels clinging to the dock wall. That turns into a gull feeding frenzy. That wouldn't be a problem, but the way they get into the mussels is by dropping them from a height onto the pavement: tough shit if you're trying to walk around there.

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Are the seagulls in Town getting worse? I keep hearing about people with takeaway food getting dive-bombed. The technique is not to swoop for the food, but to slap them around the head, then eat the food that they've dropped in shock. 

It's a proper scally bastard's trick.

I can confirm that this is accurate. 

Me and my brother took my ma and his kids down to the Pier Head a few weeks back to go on the ferry and that. We got some grub from Greggs and the seagulls got onto it. One of them was sneaking closer in the background and then flew into my ma’s face and grabbed her butty when she dropped it. 

At least, I think that’s what happened. I was too busy pissing myself laughing to take it all in. 

They’re bad cheeky bastards. 

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Are we allowed to call them nobheads?

Nothing in the rules to say you can't.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

What were his favourite biscuits though?

Shitehawks. They’re fucking massive down here and a menace on flat roofs in Brighton. 

In my old office we had a building user group, a rep from each team would meet to discuss building users issues, vendor stocking, stare of the loos and that kind of thing.

in one meeting the team rep from a team on the ground floor asked if our team on the first floor if we would stop throwing tea slops over the flat roof of their part of the building.

They were a little disgusted to be told the slopping noise was a lot of seagull shit landing at regular intervals. Not sure you’d ever sit comfortably at your desk again tbh 

On 24/01/2022 at 15:04, Strontium said:

The two closely related species you're likely to encounter in the city centre, herring gulls and lesser black-backed gulls, are both declining in numbers in this country. One of the reasons for that is over-fishing. We've been stealing their food so it's not a surprise that they would be forced to resort to stealing ours.

So you're in favour of them fighting back when faced with oppression? 

Roll up roll up...... 

• Downvote 1