You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Health and safety lunacy

Section_31

Spoke to a copper a while back who told me that if they're chasing a car, if they can't come up with a safe way to stop them, they're supposed to stop chasing them.

He also said they're only allowed to follow at 20mph over the limit.

I also spoke to a fire fighter recently who told me that his station had two engines, one was crewed by 4 men and the other by 5, and that the extra crewman was there purely to fill in paperwork if the others had to go into a fire wearing breathing equiepment.

He also said that, although they could use foam to extinguish fuel fires (such as in a car fire) they'd be more inclined to let it burn out because the environment agency often sued them for using foam as it 'harms fish and small animals'.

:D

Right. That's not health and safety 'lunacy', or even health and safety. That's just companies covering their arses so they don't get sued. Good way for us to get an 'in', but it's really not health and safety.

Isn't that the case with all health and safety though? When some jobsworth comes around and tells me about 'correct posture' while sitting at my desk, I presume he's doing it so I can't come crying about a bad back two years down the line and sue the companies arse!

It's all basially one big disclaimer isn't it?

Isn't that the case with all health and safety though? When some jobsworth comes around and tells me about 'correct posture' while sitting at my desk, I presume he's doing it so I can't come crying about a bad back two years down the line and sue the companies arse!

It's all basially one big disclaimer isn't it?

Well I take the view that if I can help you prevent getting a long term musculo-skeletal injury through poor posture, or help some bloke in a factory not get killed by the forklift he's using, or not get a hand chopped off by a blade press, then I'm doing something worthwhile.

The fact that people are so quick to sue nowadays mean that when these things are put in place, then yeah, documentation is needed as proof that people have been taught how to do things safely.

You police example makes perfect sense to me. The fire engine one could be done so much easier though. Quite often they just leave fires to burn out now. If it can't spread or cause further damage, it's often much safer, particularly to the firemen themselves, just to let it burn.

I used to go with my gramps on the haulage and we were at this steelworks and one of our drivers didn't have his hard hat on, so he was pulled by a H&S officer, which is fair enough but he was deadly serious with his reason as to why he should have it on. Cranes go overhead carrying 10 tonne coils in the sheds and the driver was told you wear the hard hats just incase one of the coils falls on you.

Spoke to a copper a while back who told me that if they're chasing a car, if they can't come up with a safe way to stop them, they're supposed to stop chasing them.

IMO that depends on what they're chasing the car for, and where the cops are doing it. Safety has a lot to do with the latter.

It's pretty much true mate. Police forces up and down the Country are petrified of pursuing. In my force the very hint of a pursuit gets those in high places hot under the collar.

Personally speaking though, I'd rather not tear round at 120mph chasing desperate people in often high performance cars that they aren't used to handling at high speeds. I'd much rather let a car thief go than tear after him and have him smash into some poor bastard going about his own business, especially when the Courts will give them fuck all sentence anyway.

I used to go with my gramps on the haulage and we were at this steelworks and one of our drivers didn't have his hard hat on, so he was pulled by a H&S officer, which is fair enough but he was deadly serious with his reason as to why he should have it on. Cranes go overhead carrying 10 tonne coils in the sheds and the driver was told you wear the hard hats just incase one of the coils falls on you.

OOer missus. Sounds like a Carry on script that one.:angel:

Well he was talking arse. Of course you've no chance if one breaks, but they're not meant to be lifted at that height - there's no need. At least you've a bit more chance if you're wearing a hard hat and get struck because some slack-jawed crane operative is being a retard.

It's pretty much true mate. Police forces up and down the Country are petrified of pursuing. In my force the very hint of a pursuit gets those in high places hot under the collar.

Personally speaking though, I'd rather not tear round at 120mph chasing desperate people in often high performance cars that they aren't used to handling at high speeds. I'd much rather let a car thief go than tear after him and have him smash into some poor bastard going about his own business, especially when the Courts will give them fuck all sentence anyway.

That's the bottom line, right there.

"Health & Safety" has become one of those phrases that people use - like "political correctness" - when they want to complain about something that seems absurd. But the truth is there are still too many preventable deaths and serious injuries in the workplace. I can tolerate the occasional bit of excessive caution if it's in a context of a decrease in avoidable accidents.

Well he was talking arse. Of course you've no chance if one breaks, but they're not meant to be lifted at that height - there's no need. At least you've a bit more chance if you're wearing a hard hat and get struck because some slack-jawed crane operative is being a retard.

The barrel of laughs from the drivers would have told you that. As if a 10 tonne steel coil is going to bounce off a hard hat :smile: The cranes run the coils high to get them on the wagons due to the design of the trailers and the specific "coilers" (like a modified container) what go on the boats. You back in a bay so they dont load them side on because vehicles are side by side.

I'm not disputing the regulations, they're there for a reason and should be followed. It was just the fellas reasoning and the fact that he was deadly serious made it even funnier.

Blues Brothers and Smokey and the bandit would've been pretty shite though wouldn't they? Not to mention the Dukes of Hazard!

Health and Safety just helps idiots live longer. It is flying in the face of natural selection.

PS. Did anyone answer my natural selection question about eyebrows?

PPS. Yeah I'm pissed.

Because those with eyebrows could attract a female with simply by raising an, er, eyebrow. Therefore loads of babies with eyebrows.

One man's health and safety lunacy is another man's job.

You'd almost think I enjoyed it.

• 14 years later...
3 hours ago, Strontium said:

Watching this, I think I definitely prefer today's over-cautious attitudes to the gung-ho insanity of just a few decades ago

That's nothing. Dude stuck his hand into the home of the tree beast. OK it bit him but cleaning Big Ben was small potatoes for him. 

• Upvote 1

We have annual reviews every year as separate departments within the business, sales, accounts, business management etc, all marked on H&S.

Most of the review is around where documents are found, best practices, completion of safety videos and questions answered etc.

As a small team we usually score very highly however this year we failed to get a 100% department score because none of us reported a 'near miss' during the year, despite the fact we were all working from home.

So in order to get top marks in the assessment you have to report a H&S near miss incident which is ridiculous as you will have people making stuff up in order to get the score.