You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Souness: Hansen sounds fabulous and is improving

Former Liverpool captain Alan Hansen’s health has significantly improved, according to his former club and international team-mate Graeme Souness.

Hansen was taken ill last week, but his close friend Souness delivered a positive update during his Talksport radio show yesterday morning.

“I spoke to him yesterday and he sounded fabulous so I hope that’s him on the way to a full recovery,” Souness said.

“I’ve been speaking to his son and Janet, his wife, and I’ve been phoning his phone, his phone ­number. I got on the train on ­Sunday and I was looking for my seat and my phone rang and I could see it was big Al.

“I was thinking, ‘Oh no, don’t answer that’. So I sat down and got the courage to phone back and he answered the phone. He’s definitely back because he did nothing but take the mickey out of me.

“He’s been in a difficult place but the way he sounded yesterday, he’s back, and I hope I’m right.”

Concerns for Hansen’s health grew after Liverpool issued a ­statement on behalf of the Anfield legend and his family, reporting he was “seriously ill” and receiving hospital treatment.

There were more upbeat bulletins circulating in the days which followed, but Souness’s are the first public comments from someone close to Hansen and his family.

The news has been received with relief across the football ­community.

As well as being one of Liverpool’s greatest ever players – Hansen would be one of the first names on all-time Kop XI – following his retirement as a player the Scot established himself as a ­pioneer in the modern age of more analytical football punditry. He was a mainstay on the BBC’s flagship football show Match of the Day and a Daily Telegraph columnist for 15 years before stepping away from media work in 2014.

• Upvote 3

He’s definitely back because he did nothing but take the mickey out of me.

I think I’d be happy if I paid just to hear the likes of him, Souness, Dalglish and Nicol in the dressing room every week.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/message-hansen-family

A message from the Hansen family

Alan has been discharged from hospital today to continue his recovery at home.

Alan, Janet, Adam, Lucy and family would like to thank everybody for their wonderful messages of love and support. It has been overwhelming and has helped enormously.

We also hugely appreciate the ongoing respect that has been shown for our privacy as Alan continues his recovery.

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Christ, just got a BBC breaking news notification on my phone starting with "Liverpool great and ex-Match of the Day...". I feared the worse until clicking on it to see the full message about him being discharged. Great news.  

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Edward. said:

George Sephton on FB.

I fucking love George Sephton. And Alan Hansen.

They both came to my primary school at different times - Alan was presenting our new football kit in assembly and George gave a talk on Heysel, Hillsborough and all things Liverpool FC from his time with them. Pair of indisputable Liverpool legends.

Get well soon Jockey

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Magical stuff. Let's hope he can make a full recovery. 

Is there any talk on what his problem is or still just illness? 

Someone mentioned he was on dialysis which, if true, would suggest sudden kidney failure, followed by release on dialysis and transplant waiting list.