You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Long lost, but I had my photo taken with him and Gary Gillespie in the lounge that was next to the players one in the old main stand once.

The three of us were stood in front of, what was then, the Cannon League trophy. 

Although myself and Gary were proud of the contribution we made to the previous seasons title success, we had to acknowledge that Jocky Hansen had done more to earn it. 

VVD has been incredible for Liverpool but Hansen remains my number one. 

Really hoping he pulls through. I want him to get off that hospital bed and stride forward with the ball like the footballing thoroughbred he was.

• Upvote 3

Nothing to choose between vvd and Hansen, they're both greats of the club. I will probably always regard Hansen higher, as he was able to play in that style in a time where people could smash the shit out of you. I do see the other side, that vvd has had to be this good without being able to smash the shit out of people, but Hansen was just so stylistically different from any centre back of that generation, for me he'll remain the best. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

With the great man before the Barca 4 nil game. Free bar and the greatest defender we’ve ever had. What a night. 

IMG_8161.jpeg

I'm not sure Ruddock and Hansen ever played together did they?

• Haha 6
  • Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I'm not sure Ruddock and Hansen ever played together did they?

You utter utter bastard 

Id already had a few with Ben in the Albert then was tucking into the free bar. It’s a bad angle. Erm ….. fuck sake. 

• Haha 1

Lovely bloke. Nobody that I am, I was fortunate enough to have dinner with him and the MOTD crew after a couple of European nights (he was co-comms). Sitting at a round table, other diners were asking for autographs and I joined the signing like a pro, obviously noted by the great man. On the second occasion, I got to the restaurant before everyone else. Jockey got some randomer to approach me and ask me for my autograph whilst he watched from afar. The little tyke. 

• Haha 7
  • Upvote 1

What's often forgotten these days about Hansen is the fact that he wasn't just a great defender, he was, in a sense, two great defenders, because while the first phase of his career saw him as this wonderfully stylish and swift player who'd intercept the ball and then carry it deep into the opposition half, the second phase (when his knees were in such a bad state he hardly trained between games) saw him reinvent himself as the kind of defender who was more like a smart Italian-style organiser at the back. Few players have made that kind of change to their game and yet maintained their high standards (probably only Barnes, for us, came close). Such a privilege to see him play. Praying he's pulling through this.

• Upvote 4