You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cocky, the rise & fall of Curtis Warren

Harry Squatter

Sunrise ain't "news" dude it's pure shite. Fifi could do with fucking good ride and Kochy could do with meeting a cosh, repeatedly, the annoying sanctimnious smug arrogant baldy twat - if he's such a financial fucking whizz kid why the fucks he on my telly at 6 am in the morning. And whats with the interchangeable entertainment arse bandits that they have on? the cunt from america and the cunt from the Uk.... fucking Sunrise.. I put sbs on one morning and the missus was like 'Eh ye've turned the news off'... news my fucking hoop.

Anyway apologies for digressing, as regards the legalisation of drugs - here's a few thoughts, for the more immature this is a reasoned and considered response not just the "drugs they is bad" shite that gets fed through the media/school/government:

Marijuana aka cannabis sativa aka hashish - legalise it, yer know any one can grow it, have a little weed in yer garden if you so wish, have the odd social toke - no-one gets hurt (maybe a little paranoid) - never meet a drug dealer, just smoke what comes naturally. No need to binge on the shit, it's free - may even get people into gardening, could down on booze yadda yadda yadda - terminally ill relo, it's ok we've got some hemp growing in the garden - I'll knock grandad a couple of J's up, see if we can provide a bit of respite during his last days, maybe improve his appetite a bit.

Right now the UK has licensed Pharma companies to grow weed to see how they can replicate some of it's properties.... any particular reason for this??? Yeah - because weed is free and grows naturally - there is no fucking money for the pharma giants in it - in fact it could reduce their current profits by reducing prescribed drugs for palliative care. No tax - mind you I could imagine them sending fucking weed vans out and adverts like the telly license - "have you got your ganja license? we know everyone licensed for Ganja plants, we'll catch you!" fcuk me every pot head in teh country would be fuly licensed - no worries.

Opium - Heroin - Smack - Brown - not much to add to SD's pretty valid remarks up above as regards actual heroin use itself. However politics and money - can ameriKKKa grow opium??? Errrr no, where is Opium produced? The far and middle east - do we want money being sent over there to fund their economies - no we fucking don't, as far as I'm aware heroin was banned in the UK as part of trying to control the flow of money to china in the early part of the last century.

Cocaine - Charlie - Yao - Where is this shit grown??? South America.... hmmmm do Amerikka have any history with the cocaine producing countries of south america??? Do they want a free flow of trade with these countries??? NOOOOOOOO, never mind free drugs trade, they restrict the countries in South America every which fucking way they can, no way will they allow the billions of dollars involved in the drug trade to flow freely into these countries.

Hmm coke - why is it you can buy diet coke, coke with lemon, coke with lime, jack and coke, rum and coke, nazi coke (fanta - the choice of the Aryan Generation - look it up) but yer just can't get the real thing?? Users include Queen Victoria, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Eric Clapton, Marvin Gaye, most talented musicians of the 60's & 70's, and half the scallies in Liverpool. Not known to be a high killer in it's unadulterated form' though it's users can sometimes appear to bore you to death.

Ecstacy - E - Tablets - Disco Biscuits - the first real 'pharmaceutical' in the list, invented pre world war I by Merck. Legal in amerikkka until the mid eighties - was quite big in Texas by all accounts - maybe good old dubya had a go during his coke days - tho somehow I doubt he would have gone in for a drug that stimulates empathy. Invented in 1912 - obviously any patent is now expired, but here is a tablet that CAN (when taken in moderation) ward off alzheimers, give yer a hard on for a few hours, help with weight loss (as part of a calorie controlled diet), help with addiction to alcohol, increase a person's empathy towards others.

The headline Ecstacy death of the nineties was Leah Betts - what killed Leah?? too much fucking water, or to look at it another way a lack of education and social responsibility.

I was a mad fucking Efreak for nearly 15 years, took too much and frazzled the synapses a few times - however I knew more about the drug than a lot of GP's know about the drugs they prescribe for a lot of common ailments - I understood the effects, what to eat for the buiding blocks of serotonin - which is the main chemical in the body affected by MDMA, the possible effects of prolonged ecstacy use - the one thing I never knew was how much of the tablets actually contained MDMA and at what quantities, regulation would make this so much fucking easier and safer to deal with - just like the guinness can that tell's you there are 1.4 units per can. Ergo even arming myself with as much education about my chosen recreational drug of choice, I was still crossing a road blindfolded.

Tobacco - ah the number one killer drug (possibly due to the number of toxins inserted by manufacturers to each cigarette to 'enhance the experience' - the experience that is the ingestion of nicotine - go figure). Well where is the majority of the world’s baccy grown??? Thats right folks its amerikkkkkkka - there is no way the governemens of the west will oulaw smoking whilst huge swathes of amerikka are dependent on the shit as their main crop - and making billions of dollars for the governments and big tobacco companies to boot. Why we can't outlaw that.

Social Cost -Ok there is a social cost to legalising drugs - who's gonna pay for it all??? Who the fuck is paying now?? You are, you’re paying for the police that track down the dealers, you're paying for the excess on your house insurance due to junkies on the rob to get a fix (as an aside, does anyone really believe that the poor fuckers enjoy the life they live in order to supply their habit?), you are paying for the fuck knows how many people currently banged up for drug related crimes.

But if you legalise dugs the baron's will move onto something else.... Like what guns??? who are they selling the guns to?? Dem Drug Dealers - but Boot's and Lloyds don't need no guns, and if the stuff is available legally then there is less requirement for addicts to go on the rob. Legalise drugs and gun crime would fucking drop big time. Less cars would be broken into, less houses, people may even feel safer - the drug users themselves may get better treatment, less of a social stigma attached and we might actually start to provide proper drug education, drug addicts tend to feel excluded from society - this is something society has been conditioned to encourage, which leads to a vicious circle.

Negative Suggestion - put a box in front of a 5 year old, reiterate how important it is that the kid doesn't look inside the box, state the fact repeatedly and leave the kid alone with the box for 10 minutes. Chances are when you come back the kid will have had a look inside the box, this has been the western governments attitudes to drugs - no wonder it fails.

Harm Reduction and education should be the focal points of a humane (human + E - coincidence??) drug policy. There will always be people who want to look inside the box, and there will always be people, who suffer because of this, but fuck we gonna ban peanuts, bee's, alcohol, war, driving and everyother fucking thing we do because there is a chance someone might get hurt??? More people are hurt by current drug policies, than would be under a regulated and legalised system. But that doesn't matter - it's the economy stupid!

Here endeth the sermon of DR Gonzo, no who ordered a soap box????

(this is a simplified overview so no doubt there are a few trivial errors, but it’s 5pm Friday and I’m having a beer)

Curtis Warren - fuck knows what he could have acheived in more legal fields, no doubt about it - he's got some fucking brains

*Stands up and applauds*

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ecstacy - E - Tablets - Disco Biscuits - the first real 'pharmaceutical' in the list, invented pre world war I by Merck. Legal in amerikkka until the mid eighties - was quite big in Texas by all accounts - maybe good old dubya had a go during his coke days - tho somehow I doubt he would have gone in for a drug that stimulates empathy"

As you say they were legal & massive in Texas due to the Christian universities banning alcohol.

There is a small scene in a very early series of Dallas where Lucy Ewing & her then bf happily take some unidentified pills before going out clubbing which are almost certainly E.

Obscure,irrelevant fact but generally regarded as the 1st time they were taken on mainstrem American or British TV.

SouthFork - Can you party?

*Stands up and applauds*

Really?

His comments on cocaine seem to think that all cocaine is 100% cocaine and never gets treated with other harmful add ons to increase the amount to sell. (I've no idea what the diet coke and coke with lime stuff had to do with drug intake) A significant and huge killer. It also attempts to hint at it helping your talent because Eric Clapton and Marvin Gaye used it - The Queen Victoria comment I assume is there to say that if it's alright for her, then it must be alright for us?? Glorifiaction of cocaine? No thanks.

The Ecstasy paragraph is another one. Apparently water killed that girl. Nothing to do with the drugs. She willfully drowned herself in open air. And the comment about knowing more than a lot of GPs is just rubbish. A quick look at the study levels of chemistry that goes into getting your doctorate make such a point laughable.

Then of course the old good one that ciggies and booze are the biggest killers of all, so therefore drugs must be ok. It's like saying that people drink and drive all the time, so therefore I’ll get stoned and drive, sure everyone else is.

The parts about how the government try and deal with it is correct though. Like in the 1980s in Ireland (and still in some parts of the country) where the refuse to teach about condoms but about "keeping your legs closed". It's pointless.

It's a very nicely written social comment long piece with some funny quips. But it is trying to be too clever and too smart and just looses itself because of it. It would be printed by a newspaper as it's written in that way. It looks lovely and raises a smile with it's funny spelling of America. But it says absolutely nothing other than to attempt to turn up a nose at the "idiots" who think drugs are bad. And once it went down the tired old road of trying to suggest drugs are ok because cigarettes and alcohol are legal, I lose interest. Cleverly written and people will like that. I’d suggest reading between the lines though.

I'll stay seated and keep my hands in my pockets.

Just my opinion like.

*Stands up and applauds*

Cheers dude, preaching to the converted tho me thinks, people need to squeegee their middle eye on these things!

"Ecstacy - E - Tablets - Disco Biscuits - the first real 'pharmaceutical' in the list, invented pre world war I by Merck. Legal in amerikkka until the mid eighties - was quite big in Texas by all accounts - maybe good old dubya had a go during his coke days - tho somehow I doubt he would have gone in for a drug that stimulates empathy"

As you say they were legal & massive in Texas due to the Christian universities banning alcohol.

There is a small scene in a very early series of Dallas where Lucy Ewing & her then bf happily take some unidentified pills before going out clubbing which are almost certainly E.

Obscure,irrelevant fact but generally regarded as the 1st time they were taken on mainstrem American or British TV.

SouthFork - Can you party?

Excellent 80's trash tv skills fella, yer a fucking mnemonic no??

Really?

His comments on cocaine seem to think that all cocaine is 100% cocaine and never gets treated with other harmful add ons to increase the amount to sell. (I've no idea what the diet coke and coke with lime stuff had to do with drug intake) A significant and huge killer. It also attempts to hint at it helping your talent because Eric Clapton and Marvin Gaye used it - The Queen Victoria comment I assume is there to say that if it's alright for her, then it must be alright for us?? Glorifiaction of cocaine? No thanks.

The Ecstasy paragraph is another one. Apparently water killed that girl. Nothing to do with the drugs. She willfully drowned herself in open air. And the comment about knowing more than a lot of GPs is just rubbish. A quick look at the study levels of chemistry that goes into getting your doctorate make such a point laughable.

Then of course the old good one that ciggies and booze are the biggest killers of all, so therefore drugs must be ok. It's like saying that people drink and drive all the time, so therefore I’ll get stoned and drive, sure everyone else is.

The parts about how the government try and deal with it is correct though. Like in the 1980s in Ireland (and still in some parts of the country) where the refuse to teach about condoms but about "keeping your legs closed". It's pointless.

It's a very nicely written social comment long piece with some funny quips. But it is trying to be too clever and too smart and just looses itself because of it. It would be printed by a newspaper as it's written in that way. It looks lovely and raises a smile with it's funny spelling of America. But it says absolutely nothing other than to attempt to turn up a nose at the "idiots" who think drugs are bad. And once it went down the tired old road of trying to suggest drugs are ok because cigarettes and alcohol are legal, I lose interest. Cleverly written and people will like that. I’d suggest reading between the lines though.

I'll stay seated and keep my hands in my pockets.

Just my opinion like.

Johnny you have hit the nail on the motherfucking head dude - as regards all 'illicit drugs' - most harm is caused by the impurities they are mixed with, fuck mate people are snorting vim, babylax, talc, nail polish remover - all cut in wth the 'finest peruvian flake - guarantee kid'. E's that contain ketamine, mdea, ice an fuck knows what else - you buy a beer or ciggies or prozac or fucking paracetamol - you know exactly what you are putting into yer body, they give little leaflets with most drugs with warnings and known side effects, in an enlightened world we'd be able to do exactly the same for recreational drugs - there would no longer be fatalities caused by impurities.

The spelling of america is to differentiate beween he country and the foeign policy and econmoics of said country - I fucking hate amerikkka, but I don't hate all americans nor the country itself.

With reference to the famous users of cocaine - the message rammed down everyone's throat is 'Drugs are bad, do drugs you will amount to nothing' I beg to differ as these people amounted to a great deal, a few of them including Marvellous Marvin Gaye were eventually ruined by addiction - but I BELIEVE that is more down to western society's conditioned approach to drugs, addicts, treatment, and policy.

With respect on the GP issue, how many people do GP's issue prescriptions to??? How many ailments??? Last time I went to a DR, he put my symptoms into a DB, which spat out a reccomendation - bob's yer uncle I had a prescription within 5 minutes. When I was doing E's I was reading fucking books on the shit, I knew the constituent parts, the effects, how to improve my bodies chemical reception to the drug - granted not a lot of other people were as indepth - but the information was there to be found, the issue was knowing the active quantities I was dealing with.

Leah Betts died due to an overdose on water, she upset the internal balance of water and her internal organs failed, this is the most common ecstacy related death along with over heating. IF a responsible society, took the opportunity to have safely monitored legal and socially accepted venues for drug taking - she may never have died, if there was not the associated stigma - she may have been better educated as regards intake of water, as opposed to the common belief before her death of making sure you take on enough water if yer on an E.

I'm not saying drugs are good or bad, just that they exist, as long as they exist there will be people wanting to use them, so lets start making things safer for those who do. The whole point of my little diatribe is that current drug policies do not work, they increase harm, where harm reduction should be the name of the game.

Cheers for the props on the prose tho - not bad for a rag arse IT bod eh?

The reporter who ran the story in the Mirror yesterday said, in the first paragraph, that he got the nickname because of his 'arrogant attitude'! Yet, on the same page, the fella who wrote the book states ' Curtis Warren was an amazingly polite, personable character' and 'Even his nickname - the Cocky Watchman - was based on how well he operated. It was Liverpool slang for a watchman or a guard who is always on the case - he was very, very sharp.'

Fuckin'ell, if a journo makes such a glaring error like that and the sub-editor or whoever cant spot it, no wonder they can get away with writing such shit about us!

How many miserable deaths is the bastard responsible for?

Warren is scum, no question of that, but he's just meeting a demand for a certain product; filling a gap in the market. The people who have decreed that that demand can only be met by gangster scum are the ones with blood on their hands.

Decrimanalise the lot. If people want to kill themselves then so be it. Profit for the dealers will collapse, virtually all funding for other illicit operations will disappear.

It has to happen worldwide so as to stop anywhere, such as the UK, becoming a drugs haven.

Think of the trillions 0f £.$.€ government expenditure that will be eliminated.

Oops, I forgot.That's the only reason why it won't happen.

They say great books (and by extension, great TV) changes the way you think, and I must admit Seaon 3 of The wire did that with me. I don't agree drugs should be legalised as such, as in you should be able to buy them in Bargain Booze, but I do think it should be treated as a public health issue rather than a criminal one.

• 1 month later...

Some really positive thoughts on the drugs theing at the Sydney Festival of Dangerous Ideas a month or so back, well worth a listen from people who have had direct contact with drug enforcement policies and their effects:

Make all drug use legal

Highlights from the Festival of Dangerous Ideas, presented by the Sydney Opera House and the St James Ethics Centre

Guests

Norm Stamper

Spokesman for Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. Former Seattle Police Chief

Dr Alex Wodak

Director of the Alcohol and Drug Service. St Vincent's Hospital, Sydney

download audio

We all love the glamourfication of crime. Scorese, De Niro, Pachino, The Wire, The Shield ok maybe not The Bill until you actually fall into their world. I knew someone who sat on the jury of one of Warren's family. Throughout the whole case there were Warrens co horts in the public gallery who just sat and stared 100% of the time at the Jury. Never said anything, berrated anyone just sat there all day staring the jury down. After a couple of days the police put cars outside the houses as they were all scared shitless.

I thought the book was immense, loved the bit where the dutch police had to send the tapes back to Liverpool for translation as they couldn't find the cafe where they'd meet. They had on tape "Cafe Byus" only for the translation to come back "The Cafe by where he lives"

• 2 weeks later...

BBC News - Drugs baron Curtis Warren jailed over £1m plot

Drugs baron Curtis Warren jailed over £1m plot

Curtis Warren appeared via video link for sentencing

Drugs baron Curtis Warren has been jailed for 13 years after plotting to import £1m of cannabis into Jersey.

Warren planned to flood the island with drugs brought from Amsterdam but was foiled by a police operation.

The 46-year-old, from Liverpool, was found guilty at Jersey's Royal Court in October of conspiring to import drugs.

Five other men, who worked with Warren on the plot, were also sentenced to time behind bars ranging from five to 12 years.

John Welsh, 43, originally from Liverpool, who was described in the trial as the "willing purchaser" of the drugs, was sentenced to 12 years.

James O'Brien, 45, from Glasgow, received a 10-year sentence for agreeing to pilot the boat which the smugglers planned to use.

Jason Woodward, 22, of Dartford, Kent, Paul Hunt, 27, and Oliver Lucas, 23, both from St Helier, Jersey, received five-year terms.

They had all denied a charge of conspiring to import drugs.

Interpol's most wanted

Warren appeared via video link from the UK for his sentencing, making him the first criminal to be sentenced using the video technology in the island's Royal Court.

He was once Interpol's most wanted trafficker and is the only known drugs dealer to have appeared on the Sunday Times Rich List.

Prosecutor Howard Sharp had earlier asked the court to impose the sentence of 13 years, saying it was the biggest drug trafficking case ever to come before the courts in Jersey.

He said: "Warren is a prolific drugs trafficker who has operated at the highest levels of the international drugs trade."

The police bugged public telephones and used surveillance cameras

Gangster 'addicted to dealing'

Advocate Stephen Baker, defending Warren, had said it was a "half-baked and hopeless" conspiracy.

"They couldn't raise the cash, they didn't get the drugs," he told the hearing.

"I ask you not to impose a sentence that crushes him."

The practice in Jersey is for Judge Sir Richard Tucker to sentence after consultation with a "superior number" of jurats.

Mr Tucker said: "It's believed to be the largest ever importation to come before this court.

"The reason the conspiracy did not come to fruition was not because it was abandoned but because of intervention of the police.

"Warren has been shown to be the mastermind."

During the two-week trial earlier this year, the court heard how the gang planned to buy cannabis in Amsterdam and bring it into an isolated cove in Jersey by boat in 2007.

Drugs often fetch a higher price in Jersey than in other jurisdictions.

David Warcup, acting chief officer of the States of Jersey police, said: "We've been very successful in working with customs and other agencies, as this operation has done, and been able to work right across Europe with other police forces.

"This shows we can be very successful - we will find you and we will prosecute you."

Police used hidden cameras and put bugs in cars to catch the gang.

• 1 year later...