You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FAO Red Paddies

Gav

I would agree with you. Watch our performance against the Soviet Union in 88. We outplayed them all over the park and they made the final.

Charlton cut his cloth according to the players (not to mention the surface our home matches were on) he had available and the ones he made available for Ireland. Some of which didn't care, who they played for internationally as long as it got them a cap.

It seems to me that it has recently become fashionable to slate charlton, and jump on the bandwagon of Dunphy etc. Its usually happens with the most vociferous supportes of Roy Keane as well.

Keane is finding out its not so easy now.

Charlton knew his teams limitations, despite them also having some pretty good players. Some player recently also made the point about Soviet Union, possibly Whelan, and how they did at times play good football, but that its often brushed over in the name of anti-charlton revisionism

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with you. Watch our performance against the Soviet Union in 88. We outplayed them all over the park and they made the final.

Charlton cut his cloth according to the players (not to mention the surface our home matches were on) he had available and the ones he made available for Ireland. Some of which didn't care, who they played for internationally as long as it got them a cap.

It seems to me that it has recently become fashionable to slate charlton, and jump on the bandwagon of Dunphy etc. Its usually happens with the most vociferous supportes of Roy Keane as well.

Guys ,were any of you actually at any of these games ?? Or is the euphoria of the Wee Jack eee years dimming the brains .Dunphy my hole ,I spend fortunes going to the games ,as well as the underage games and make my opinion on whats on front of me

HE took outstanding footballers and turned them into Everton or Bolton hoofball merchants

Ruined the creers of some of the finest players to ever wear the shirt in favour of Plastics that could hoof a ball the furthest just because they dared try something weird like pass to a team mate.Imagine taking the refined Lawrenson in his prime and the gracefull O'eary and relacing them with sneaks like mccarthey !! Laughable

Destroyed successive underage generations by totally ignoring them for plastics that flew over shannon

Prostituted players for the sake of a few sheckles from whatever corperate whore he was attached to on that day of the week.He made himself a very wealthy man over here

Eoin Hand would have got us to the finals if only the FAI had a pair of balls and a brain between them

Guys ,were any of you actually at any of these games ?? Or is the euphoria of the Wee Jack eee years dimming the brains .Dunphy my hole ,I spend fortunes going to the games ,as well as the underage games and make my opinion on whats on front of me

HE took outstanding footballers and turned them into Everton or Bolton hoofball merchants

Ruined the creers of some of the finest players to ever wear the shirt in favour of Plastics that could hoof a ball the furthest just because they dared try something weird like pass to a team mate.Imagine taking the refined Lawrenson in his prime and the gracefull O'eary and relacing them with sneaks like mccarthey !! Laughable

Destroyed successive underage generations by totally ignoring them for plastics that flew over shannon

Prostituted players for the sake of a few sheckles from whatever corperate whore he was attached to on that day of the week.He made himself a very wealthy man over here

Eoin Hand would have got us to the finals if only the FAI had a pair of balls and a brain between them

Only at one to be fair, versus Denmark.

Who did Lawrenson get replaced by? From what I remember he played him in midfield when he was there and Lawro's career was over soon afterwards. O'Leary wasn't the type of centre half needed for Jack, he wanted fellas who'd put their heads on the line, hence Moran and McCarthy were his choice. I have no problem with that. Paul McGrath said in his book that Mick McCarthy was one of the key reasons for that teams success, he wasn't willing to let anyone bully them and that is something that they had been lacking.

I'm not sure what you mean by plastics.

Is this the lads brought in on the granny rule?

Charlton did far more good than bad for Irish football. There is no doubt in my mind of that

Eoin hand had a good start to his Ireland career, fair enough. But to say that he would suddenly have qualified us for championships after a mediocre 1986 world cup campaign is a bit ambitious. He had 6 years on the job and never reached the heights of 81 again (which to be fair was a travesty that we didn't qualify for the 82 cup).

How did you feel in 88, 90, 94? Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Charlton did play Lawrenson though until he got badly injured in early '88 and ultimately his career was ended. With regard to O' Leary, he refused to travel to a summer tournament in '86 when Charlton took over and was ostracised for 3/4 years.

The plastics stuff is unfair - most of those guys, in particular McCarthy, had more pride in the shirt than some high profile Irish born players ever did. I'd swap two John O' Sheas for someone like him now.

The underage structures weren't there for Charlton to pick from - that's been a consistent FAI failing, little enough to do with him.

And bar '82, Hand never got near a Finals with a similar pool of players in terms of talent.