You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Good cook books

RedKnight

All these threads about food really make want to start cooking more and to try making different things. There is one problem with this though and that is I suck at cooking. So I could do with laying my hands on some decent cook books which I can learn from and do some new interesting receipes.

One thing; no Thai food. I hate it.

All these threads about food really make want to start cooking more and to try making different things. There is one problem with this though and that is I suck at cooking. So I could do with laying my hands on some decent cook books which I can learn from and do some new interesting receipes.

One thing; no Thai food. I hate it.

You want piccies to inspire you. Nigel Slater has done a few "quick food" type books. Gordon Ramsays sunday lunch book isnt bad for new ones with a mix of simple and complicated stuff.

But I'd suggest watching tv cookery programmes - saturday morning before footie focus ain't bad - Bill some aussie guy does great looking simple stuff. Rick Stein, Gordon Ramsay are ace. Nigella of course as well.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (don't be put off by the name) did an ace series teaching complete junk food eaters to cook on Ch 4 recently - taught them all the stuff they bought pre made. That was excellant.

Avoid Gary Rohodes, Ainsley Harriott and Anthony Worral Thompson.

*Jamie Oliver is good as well on telly and in books. Bit annoying these days but fair do's to Noos I do own about 4 of his books and they are more used than most.

The best cookery book I have is called Cordon Bleu Cookery and it is ace. It gives really good basic recipes and procedures for everything. No fancy pants crap or flim flam. Just ace food.

It might be this one, but the cover doesn't look like this. I'll check later.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penguin-Cordon-Bleu-Cookery-Rosemary/dp/0140460977/ref=sr_1_3/202-0701895-4933460?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191330803&sr=1-3

I'd second that about Delia Smith, she really does know how to cook, and how to explain stuff.

Also good call on Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, forget the name, he's really into his food. I've got his River Cottage Meat Book and it's great. As well as being a good cookbook (for stuff with meat in, obviously) he lays out why it's worthwhile looking for better quality meat - tastes better and you feel better eating it.

For Indian food, Madhur Jaffrey will never let you down.

I recommend choosing a specific type of food and getting into that first - it's what I did. I got given the pizza express cookbook and started making my own Pizzas from scratch. It goes into great detail, like type of surface to knead the dough on - the ideal air temperature and the protein composition in the flour. I love that shit

I recommend choosing a specific type of food and getting into that first - it's what I did. I got given the pizza express cookbook and started making my own Pizzas from scratch. It goes into great detail, like type of surface to knead the dough on - the ideal air temperature and the protein composition in the flour. I love that shit

Have you tried making two pizzas to exactly the same method, but kneading the dough for each on different surfaces, or at different air temperatures? Did it make a blind bit of difference?

Have you tried making two pizzas to exactly the same method, but kneading the dough for each on different surfaces, or at different air temperatures? Did it make a blind bit of difference?
the more general tips helped at first but now I have my own ideas. I tend to just replicate the ideal conditions for pizza making rather then too wild an experimentation though in my uni days I made an ace pizza with curry and banana on it.

At the risk of a panning from the foodies, the Jamie Oliver books have served me well over the last few years. Tasty food, easy to follow and no wanky use of foodstuffs no-one has heard of that you can't buy anywhere.

His books are ace for beginners - like me

Nigel Slater does a good one

There's no real substitute for your own taste buds, but if you've never been into cooking then books are a good place to look for inspiration. All the best have been mentioned: Nigel Slater, Jamie Oliver and Nigella Lawson are the holy trinity in our house, and you can't ever go wrong with a bit of Delia. I would strongly recommend Appetite by Nigel Slater as your starting point. Mainly because it's fucking ace. The Sopranos Family Cookbook is also amazing, but it's not for newbies. There are quite a few complex, faffy recipes in there. All taste fucking beautiful, but straight forward they ain't.

That recipe Dirk, it was hand written and I can't be arsed typing it out, but having scouted around, this one from Delia looks bang on, http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/french-onion-soup,1308,RC.html and is almost identical.

You don't have to make your own stock, but it is preferable, but there a couple of decent ones, one called Bong is quite nice.

• 3 months later...