You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Radiohead

bossy

At what point did it become acceptable to describe music as 'absolutely gorgeous', I was going to say on the GF, but I don't believe that's ever been acceptable anywhere, Would never have happened under a Reich regime.

I used the word "yearn". Deliberately.

At what point did it become acceptable to describe music as 'absolutely gorgeous', I was going to say on the GF, but I don't believe that's ever been acceptable anywhere, Would never have happened under a Reich regime.

When I said it was...and everyone else shuffled their feet and fell in line.

• Upvote 1

A turn of phrase for when no other adjective will do, like just about everything this magnificent band produces.

• Upvote 2

I made the mistake of listening to The Bends this morning. I like the new album but it's not even close really, is it?

21 years ago that though, if they were still churning out the same stuff as they did on that album i'd be massively disappointed. 

I made the mistake of listening to The Bends this morning. I like the new album but it's not even close really, is it?

The Bends was written in an era where guitars and nothing else mattered. Bands typically start out with guitar driven tracks and then progress to different instruments. THe best bands are successful at this instead of staying static. Be biting listening to the dame regurgitated shite

As soon as people describe a band as 'important' I just have to avoid listening to their music, especially when that music sounds like a dog crying itself to sleep!

Wow, you must have missed out on the vast majority of the greatest music ever made then. Not the greatest strategy ever, really.

• Upvote 1

A turn of phrase for when no other adjective will do, like just about everything this magnificent band produces.

I just had a thought that at some point in the future we may get to see Burn The Witch performed live with a full compliment of strings. 

It made me a little bit hard.

• Upvote 1

I think describing music as important is pretentious and embarrassing.

Well people call footballers geniuses and results important too.

Surely more pretentious? Given music's huge cultural significance?

There are bands and artists that are important in the history of music, and some are important in terms of their effect on wider culture, hard to get away from that being a fact really.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's no Kid A, Hail to the Thief or In Rainbows, but I am enjoying it. Will give it a real good listen over the weekend.

I think Hail to the Thief isn't that great. Always felt half completed ( in terms of production) and overlong. Knock that down to a ten track album and it's a winner. 

Minus points for the dirge that is We Suck Young Blood, in my opinion the worst thing they've recorded.