Quantcast
Leto, Sebastian - I-L - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Welcome to the new and improved TLW!

Some of you may experience issues logging in and will get an 'incorrect password' error. Don't worry, you haven't typed it in wrong and your password hasn't been changed. You will need to reset it though in order to log in. Click the reset password link and you will receive an email with your new temporary password. Once logged in, you need to choose a new password (or restore to your old one) otherwise you will be locked out again.

If you have an out of date email address linked to your account, then you won't receive the new password. If that's the case then you'll need to email me (dave @liverpoolway.co.uk) or send me a tweet @theliverpoolway and I'll update your password manually. 

Any other problems or questions just let me know.

Thanks

Dave

Sign in to follow this  
TLW

Leto, Sebastian

leto.jpg

SEBASTIAN LETO 2007-09

by Kurt Henriksen & Dave Usher

Date of Birth - 30/08/86

Nationality - Argentinian

Position - Left Midfield

Games - 4

Goals - 0

Club Hons (Lpool) - None

Intnl Hons - Argentina u21 Caps

Other Clubs - Club Atletico Lanus, Olympiakos, Panathanaikos

Sebastian Eduardo Leto was an unknown quantity for most Liverpool fans when Rafael Benitez surprisingly decided to swoop for him in the january transfer window of 2007.

Leto made his first appearance for his club side Club Atlético Lanús in November 2005 19 years old. Lanus had a group of 1986 born players that were sensational at youth level, and Leto (along with Fritzler, Valeri and Lagos) slowly broke into the first team.

In 2006 he made his breakthrough, with a series of quality performances against the top teams River Plate, Boca Juniors and San Lorenzo. His performances in those matches proved he had strength and character and soon the big clubs were pursuing his signature. River Plate entered negotiations with his club Lanús, but when the two sides failed to agree a fee, Liverpool quickly stepped in and signed him for a fee of £1.85m in January 2007.

Sebastian Leto played out the season in Argentina before joining the reds in July 2007. He soon made his Liverpool debut on the 28th of August 2007 when Liverpool beat French side Toulose 4-0 to qualify for the Champions League. Further appearances followed against Reading and Cardiff in the League Cup, and Marseille in the Champions League. However, passport problems meant he was unavailable for much of his first season.

Liverpool were denied a work permit for him in the summer of 2008 and he agreed to a two year loan at Greek side, Olympiakos. He fell out of favour at Olympiakos, and halfway through his loan period, there was interest from another Athens club in Panathinaikos. This led to the player making a permanent move for a fee believed to be around three million pounds.